Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25,000 behind goal at Dortmund all standing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
As long as there are ground regulations stipulating the requirement to be seated then there is nothing the club or any of us can do. If you want it so badly I suggest you get writing to the F.A and ask them to change their rules, until then you're just moaning pointlessly about something without doing anything constructive to solve it. If the F.A received 500,000 letters then they would have to raise the issue and get the ball rolling.

Basically, please stop whining like a child

A fair point (apart from the whining charge) but supporters are entitled to query the Albion's stance. If clubs supported their supporters on the issue of safe standing it would be far more likely that the legislators would listen.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In 2001, the German Football League (DFL) implemented legislation that required every 1. and 2. Bundesliga club to have a youth academy. These rules were very specific, including even a minimum for the number of floodlights clubs must have illuminating their training grounds.

The success of german football at the moment is what happens when you do poorly in a tournament and don't blame the ref or the manager

Germany did poorly in 98 and 2000 with ageing squads. They had a look at themselves, realised what was wrong and did something about it.

This incredible production line of players they have at the moment are a product of that

And who was the architect of those plans? Step forward... Howard Wilkinson.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good shout. It looks like they've forced all their club football to be built on solid foundations - no debt and good youth policy.

Our FA is so toothless it can only implement superficial changes for the benefit of the media - St Georges Park for instance.

Exactly why is St Georges Park only superficial and for the benefit of the media?

Tinpot Man.

Apr 14, 2013
Patcham.
I agree with you but I can never fully understand this case for standing being a better atmosphere. I have been a lots of all-seater stadia and the atmosphere is fantastic. Take the Champions League semis we have just watched...all seater but incredible atmospheres. The vast majority of fans wear colours and a significant number all ways sing irrespective of seats. It's in your heads, not in the lack of standing areas.

Very good point. I just feel now in England especially is that the atmosphere in the top flights will never compare to what it was 15/20years ago, if not longer. I know some of the reason behind is the modernisms about the game.. But you look back at some of the stadiums that had a great atmosphere and now are a poor and dull place to watch the game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Very good point. I just feel now in England especially is that the atmosphere in the top flights will never compare to what it was 15/20years ago, if not longer. I know some of the reason behind is the modernisms about the game.. But you look back at some of the stadiums that had a great atmosphere and now are a poor and dull place to watch the game.

Is that down to the fact people can't stand or is it because football attracts a different demographic now?

Tinpot Man.

Apr 14, 2013
Patcham.
Is that down to the fact people can't stand or is it because football attracts a different demographic now?

Both. I think the standing part of football had died out and isn't a massive reason for the support/atmosphere of today's game. But i feel that a majority of those that used to go to the game when is it was standing could be put off from the modern stadiums. It does say a lot that over in Germany they do stand and they do have a much better atmosphere then over here. If that's to standing, who knows but we can agree that the atmosphere over there is a lot better then here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I ultimately think it comes down to culture. Germans just love letting themselves go after a few beers whatever their age or background. Ifthere is an opportunity to swing a pint and sing a song they will take it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You are kidding.

As I understand it, after England's failure at Euro 2000, the FA asked Howard Wilkinson - in his role as then FA Technical Director - to write a detailed blueprint for the future of English football, which he did and subsequently presented it to them. They received it and basically shelved it. The German FA obtained a copy, and took on board many, if not most, recommendations.

Look at what has happened since.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Everyone is pointing out how marvellous this looks as they are standing, but is ignoring the fact that those joining in nearest the camera are ALL sitting down - even the block between the raised arms on the right hand side of that picture are sitting down. Sitting down clearly does not stop people from doing something like this if they have a mind to do it.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
As I understand it, after England's failure at Euro 2000, the FA asked Howard Wilkinson - in his role as then FA Technical Director - to write a detailed blueprint for the future of English football, which he did and subsequently presented it to them. They received it and basically shelved it. The German FA obtained a copy, and took on board many, if not most, recommendations.

Look at what has happened since.

Have you got a link that describes that scenario, as I'm struggling to find anything? If that's the case then it's fairly amazing

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Have you got a link that describes that scenario, as I'm struggling to find anything? If that's the case then it's fairly amazing

I may not have got the story 100% accurate, but I believe the gist is there.

Here's a BBC news story from 12 years ago, talking about the national football centre that he proposed - the one that opened only seven months ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/1172213.stm

There's a retrospective blog about it here too...

World Cup 2010: League Managers Association Chairman Howard Wilkinson Worried about England’s Future | bettor.com

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Everyone is pointing out how marvellous this looks as they are standing, but is ignoring the fact that those joining in nearest the camera are ALL sitting down - even the block between the raised arms on the right hand side of that picture are sitting down. Sitting down clearly does not stop people from doing something like this if they have a mind to do it.

Agree. These are exactly my thoughts on the matter.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
It's simple. Nice section of (safe standing) terracing for those who want to stand, all-seated everywhere else.

The other thing that German football does well is beer. They take an enlightened view on beer consumption... you don't have to cram down x amount of beers pre-match because you know you can take a nice big cup of beer out onto the terrace with you. This calms people down in my view, much like the relaxing of licensing laws in the UK has ended the traditional 11pm chucking out time tensions at pubs.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
having certain stands with no women and kids allowed will help atmosphere too ;-) (this is a joke btw).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here