Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 24 years ago today

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who died a thousand deaths in the last minute when Hereford were through on goal ?

Me!

Mark Ormerod :bowdown:

I was lucky enough to meet him at the League 2 Championship dinner. He looked very embarrassed when I told him that he was one of my Albion heroes :lolol:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What memories, never at a football match have my emotions been as low or as high over 90 minutes. Nothing before or since felt as good at the final whistle, and boy have we had some highs and lows to choose from :smile:

Totally this. Only time ever that I've felt sick with nerves at half time. That day we stepped back from the brink of the abyss.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I saw a bit of trouble after the game, just assumed it was Hereford fans with some of the locally based SAS helping out :lolol:

There was. We saw it near the market. Despite not wearing colours and having a 9 year old in tow I wasn't feeling that the ire of a few local boneheads was easily placated. It was okay in the end. Head down, walk on.

Where's PPF when you need him ?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I saw a bit of trouble after the game, just assumed it was Hereford fans with some of the locally based SAS helping out :lolol:
As i posted previous we came across some huge Cardiff fans before the match, we had to walk through them.......they were not interested in us because we didnt look like trouble in our 'colours', i have also assumed they were after Hereford fans anyway. Bit of an English...Welsh thing which probably a regular occurrence in that area. I am sure any Brighton fans wanting trouble would have got it though. :eek:

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Worst half time ever.
Best full time ever.

I remember the the journey home, shouting and singing, flying blue and white scarves out the window in what seemed like a convoy leaving Hereford, being congratulated by random fans (whose club I remember not now) at a pit stop to get food.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Me!

Mark Ormerod :bowdown:

I was lucky enough to meet him at the League 2 Championship dinner. He looked very embarrassed when I told him that he was one of my Albion heroes :lolol:

You set your sights low in those days then! Mind you, if he could see off mighty Nicky Rust in the Albion goal . . .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just dread to think what would have followed if Robbie hadn't scored

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Such a roller coaster of emotions, never had a headache like it before a combination of beer a stress.

Always say it's my best footballing day ever, it just meant so much to so many.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
An unforgettable day - we came oh so close to slipping out of the league - we have indeed come a long, long way!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Feel privileged to have been in my 20s and watching the Albion through the dark years of the mid to late 90s. Missed Donnie at home and Hereford due to being in Nepal trekking - for Hereford I was in Katmandhu desperately trying to listen to results on a crackling world service. It was pretty much Hereford 1, Brighton and Hove Albion crshhhhhhhhh! Score only confirmed a bit later. My last Goldstone game was the Orient 4-4, what an uneventful last game for me....

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
you only have to look at what happened to Hereford in the following years to get an idea of what might have been.

7 years later on the exact date Hereford who finished 2nd in the conference on 91 points faced Aldershot in the play offs . The first leg at Aldershot was 1 1 . 2nd leg finished 0 0 .No away goals:lolol: rule ,so to pens it went . Hereford crashed out and their fans were equally upset . Hereford i always seem to end up in dodgy situations. As a footnote Aldershot finished 21 points behind Hereford that season .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just dread to think what would have followed if Robbie hadn't scored

It interests me that so many people are saying or implying that relegation would have been catestrophic. I happen to agree. Having already become homeless, loss of our league status (which was not fluid like it is now, with a fully professional 'National League' - the Alliance Premier League, then 'Conference', was largely amateur) would have killed the club I suspect. Luckily we will never know. I was at the first game (some cup) at Priestfield, with only the Rainham end open, and it was a near death experience.

I couldn't get a ticket (left it too late) but had several reasons for not going, so I probably deliberately sabotaged the ticket purchase. I listened to the whole commentary here in Faversham, getting extremely drunk and tearful, while playing obsessive compulsive darts (magic lucky darts for those with long memories). I would have hated to have been at Hereford, because my mental make up would have made it excruciating. Well done to you lot who went, so many of whom I have met over the years. :bowdown:

I'll never forget the commentator, a Brighton man, Tony something (?) screaming 'For Christ's sake kick it!' on national radio (I can't get radio Sussex here so it was networked somehow), towards the end. I have never heard a commentary like it.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Half-time = Worse day at football
Full time = I think you all know :) :rave::rave::rave:

I'm in there somewhere in the photos, although can't see myself (for some reason that day I wore a green Pele-style New York Cosmos shirt!!)

After the game in the cattle market was a bit dicey to say the least, but Das Reich and his up-for-it mates zoomed past us to start their 'dance' so all was good. Great journey home on the minibus

WHAT. A. DAY.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It interests me that so many people are saying or implying that relegation would have been catestrophic. I happen to agree. Having already become homeless, loss of our league status (which was not fluid like it is now, with a fully professional 'National League' - the Alliance Premier League, then 'Conference', was largely amateur) would have killed the club I suspect. Luckily we will never know. I was at the first game (some cup) at Priestfield, with only the Rainham end open, and it was a near death experience.

I couldn't get a ticket (left it too late) but had several reasons for not going, so I probably deliberately sabotaged the ticket purchase. I listened to the whole commentary here in Faversham, getting extremely drunk and tearful, while playing obsessive compulsive darts (magic lucky darts for those with long memories). I would have hated to have been at Hereford, because my mental make up would have made it excruciating. Well done to you lot who went, so many of whom I have met over the years. :bowdown:

I'll never forget the commentator, a Brighton man, Tony something (?) screaming 'For Christ's sake kick it!' on national radio (I can't get radio Sussex here so it was networked somehow), towards the end. I have never heard a commentary like it.

I was quite young in those days and for me it was exciting. I went with my South Welsh Dad and Aunt - stayed in Newport the night
before and can honestly say that every aspect of my family pulled me through that day. I'll never forget the gratitude of having a family link
down there (all Cardiff City fans and all wishing us well) and coming through on the day.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Great pics, I’m in the background of one of them! And I remember you and your Sis from the North stand, used to stand very close to us. Plus many away games and the demo’s. You and yours are proper hard core Albion diehards that’s for sure. Not that you need the likes of me to tell you that!
Thanks so much for the kind words much appreciated .

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Do we think we have learnt as a fanbase from what nearly destroyed us?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here