Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 24 years ago today

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't think anything will ever top the Doncaster and Hereford games.

I mean, winning the premier league or champions league would be pretty cool but I don't think it would mean as much as what those two games did and do.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I was there abiding memory of the day is my mate wading his way through a scuffle to buy a programme:laugh::lolol:Times have changed as 2 mates queued for tickets at Brighton and came away with 6.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Maybe it might be nice if next year, to celebrate the 25th anniversary, we could score a second-half equaliser in our final game to clinch The Premier League?!

And Archer to drop dead as well as the cherry on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've posted this on here a number of times, but today seems a good reason to post it again.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
What an uncomfortable 80 minutes that was, managed to get two seats in the home section which was shared with the away fans
People were getting identified left right and centre and then ejected
Sat on my hands for 80 minutes, Reinhelt scored and I couldn’t stay quiet but half the home seats were Brighton fans

This all followed by a very tense final ten minutes

So anyone that decides to have a moan when we lose another premiership game just remember how good we’ve got it now!

What a day that was

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
What a day that was. Never have I seen such celebrations as we scored and at the final whistle. Such a relief not unlike before the game we had to walk through a bunch of Cardiff neanderthals looking for trouble. Luckily for us they just looked at us shirts and couldn't be bothered.
Happy days

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
What an uncomfortable 80 minutes that was, managed to get two seats in the home section which was shared with the away fans
People were getting identified left right and centre and then ejected
Sat on my hands for 80 minutes, Reinhelt scored and I couldn’t stay quiet but half the home seats were Brighton fans

This all followed by a very tense final ten minutes

So anyone that decides to have a moan when we lose another premiership game just remember how good we’ve got it now!

What a day that was

Absolutely mirrored my experience. Sat on my hands amongst the home fans until the equaliser. Then, when we scored, roughly half the people around me started celebrating. Our cover was blown, but there were too many of us for anyone to take action. Wouldn’t have wanted to have been one of the many Albion fans who got rumbled on the home terrace before kick-off.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Absolutely mirrored my experience. Sat on my hands amongst the home fans until the equaliser. Then, when we scored, roughly half the people around me started celebrating. Our cover was blown, but there were too many of us for anyone to take action. Wouldn’t have wanted to have been one of the many Albion fans who got rumbled on the home terrace before kick-off.

Me the same.

It was the most horrible experience watching that match, but all turned out ok in the end.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I don't think anything will ever top the Doncaster and Hereford games.

I mean, winning the premier league or champions league would be pretty cool but I don't think it would mean as much as what those two games did and do.

The Donny last game at the Goldstone was an anti climax for me. Mainly because of the reduced capacity. Having been in the Goldstone with over 30,000 there, the 10,000 for the last game there pretty much summed up the sadness of it all. Hereford away however was probably the most mad day out that football could ever give. From the goings on outside of the ground, to the Kerry Mayo own goal, the equalizer, the terrace going mental, the last 15 minutes, their miss at the end and the scenes at the final whistle. The Albion could lift the European Cup and nothing will get close to Hereford away.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What a day , never forgotten . Pics of the banner , me , Sis and me old mate . Such an emotional rollercoaster .

Great pics, I’m in the background of one of them! And I remember you and your Sis from the North stand, used to stand very close to us. Plus many away games and the demo’s. You and yours are proper hard core Albion diehards that’s for sure. Not that you need the likes of me to tell you that!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I didn't have a ticket, so I took the dog for it's longest ever walk in some fairly remote countryside. Got back to the car just as the results were being read on Sports Report and had to wait for what seemed like ages for "Hereford United 1, Brighton and Hove Albion...1 Enjoyable sing-along with the dog on the way home though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The most important day in our history? To try to get that vital promotion spot from the Conference, playing in front of tiny crowds at Priestfield, would’ve been a tall order.

I listened to the radio commentary, that was stressful enough. Dreading a Hereford winner.

Did Cardiff fans attend in and outside the ground, with the sole purpose of attacking Albion fans? If so, why the grudge against only us at that time?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Did Cardiff fans attend in and outside the ground, with the sole purpose of attacking Albion fans? If so, why the grudge against only us at that time?

March 97 we beat Cardiff 2-0 at the Goldstone, they brought a fair few fans and there was fighting after the match.
Maybe the Cardiff fans were not happy about that day or thought we were going out of the league and wanted to wave goodbye :)

I definitely didn’t see any Cardiff fans at Hereford in our main end behind the goal, also didn’t notice any trouble where the other Albion fans were sited to our left.
There was some fighting down behind the other goal at the Hereford end just before kick off, but I can’t comment if it was Cardiff involved or that the Hereford fans had spotted some Albion in their end, it didn’t look like anything major from what I remember.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Donny last game at the Goldstone was an anti climax for me. Mainly because of the reduced capacity. Having been in the Goldstone with over 30,000 there, the 10,000 for the last game there pretty much summed up the sadness of it all. Hereford away however was probably the most mad day out that football could ever give. From the goings on outside of the ground, to the Kerry Mayo own goal, the equalizer, the terrace going mental, the last 15 minutes, their miss at the end and the scenes at the final whistle. The Albion could lift the European Cup and nothing will get close to Hereford away.

I never got to experience 30,000 in the Goldstone, the most I ever got was high teens. It was still home though and still an emotive day, not least because Dick Knight had finally ousted Archer and the win finally lifted us off the bottom of the league. Despite the sodden desolation of the loss of and destruction of the Goldstone those two facts were the green shoots of hope of survival.

I loved the Hereford day(apart from half time when the enormity of what we were facing hit me). I seem to be the only Brighton fan that day that completely missed on all the shenanigans that went on outside. I drove up with a couple of friends in one of their cousins car. We parked up in a side street down the home end of the ground so went nowhere near the station and if it was kicking off right outside our end then I must have been on cloud 9 because other than shouting I saw and heard nothing. Which was probably a good thing, I was only 16, old enough to get a kicking but young enough to do not a lot about it!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've posted this on here a number of times, but today seems a good reason to post it again.

Post it as often as you like, l'll always watch it. It always takes me back to one of the greatest days of my football supporting career.

Brighton & Hove Albion, always at our best in adversity.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
March 97 we beat Cardiff 2-0 at the Goldstone, they brought a fair few fans and there was fighting after the match.
Maybe the Cardiff fans were not happy about that day or thought we were going out of the league and wanted to wave goodbye :)

I definitely didn’t see any Cardiff fans at Hereford in our main end behind the goal, also didn’t notice any trouble where the other Albion fans were sited to our left.
There was some fighting down behind the other goal at the Hereford end just before kick off, but I can’t comment if it was Cardiff involved or that the Hereford fans had spotted some Albion in their end, it didn’t look like anything major from what I remember.

I saw a bit of trouble after the game, just assumed it was Hereford fans with some of the locally based SAS helping out :lolol:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who died a thousand deaths in the last minute when Hereford were through on goal ?

I was in the main stand with the home fans. Loads in tears around me. A number of Albion fans were.

I did get questioned by one sitting next to me and told them I was from Bournemouth and touring the 92 grounds. Not sure where I got that from but it worked.

Even better I slipped into the away end to join the celebrations at the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here