Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 24/7 Cat Curfew - Australia

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Our neighbouring council did it last year. I haven't heard of any of these problems, I'll see if I can find any info later.

At present if a cat is constantly in your garden you can order a cat trap from the council to trap it and take it to a shelter. If they are not registered, chipped and neutered then my guess is they are put up for adoption.

With the new scheme my guess is that owners will be fined when they pick them up. Although I guess this needed to be limited or they just won't bother.

I see this more as asking responsible owners to do the right thing rather than sending our patrols of cat catchers like in cartoons (although there are vans about doing that job).

My two cats come in if it’s raining and windy and we’ve got the heating on, but otherwise they mainly live outdoors (both rescue cats, one semi-feral, one a bit more more sociable)

We keep litter trays available for each, but they refuse to use them even in bad weather, and we’ve tried various litter types/tray locations over the years without success.

TBH, they seem to spend most of their time playing on the railway tracks a couple of streets away, which sounds lifespan limiting, but they’ve clearly got the sense to get off the line when a train’s coming. We’ve also met the more feral of our two while out on a walk 2-3 miles from our home, which came as a bit of a shock when he popped up wanting a head rub on a forest path.

I think the more sociable of our two would adapt, but I’d have genuine concerns as to how the other would respond to having a massively restricted space to roam in.

I can see the reasons for doing it, and now I’m over the surprise of hearing about it I think I might even be in favour of it. I’m just not sure how comfortable it would be for an animal like mine that is at best semi-domesticated and really likes to roam.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We just found one of our cats at the front door. Little bugger has been to Glouster shitting in @GT49er s garden again.

Sorry about that.

Now I have to work out where he got out.
You've found a Davy Crockett hat on your front door step? Remarkable - perhaps it wasn't your moggie at all that I found..........

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Seems to me that the logical solution would be for Australians to keep native animals as pets.
Pictures-of-Saltwater-Crocodile.jpg

Some_image.width-1600.7bfaa39.jpg

4b715cb27b8cc0b7d799558b2ef196b9--red-kangaroo-male-kangaroo.jpg

I see no logical objections to this.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Indeed it is, I have friends who live in Canberra and they are required to do the same, just seems cruel.

When you look at Australia's overall record on the environment it seems futile to impose this on surburban areas where most people live.

This is a nation that has cleared almost 10 million hectares of forest since the turn of the century
It’s done to protect the indigenous wildlife, and has the added knock on of deterring cat ownership. To be honest it is not even particularly dog friendly (dingos aside) as you cannot take a dog to most pubs, and many walking trails and nature reserves and even beaches are off limits to Fido.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
It’s done to protect the indigenous wildlife, and has the added knock on of deterring cat ownership. To be honest it is not even particularly dog friendly (dingos aside) as you cannot take a dog to most pubs, and many walking trails and nature reserves and even beaches are off limits to Fido.
Seems like the Aussies have got it right ,
cats kill millions of birds a year in this country alone , let alone all the other animals they kill ,
as for dogs it is ridiculous how many dogs there are , wherever you go for a walk there will be dogs ,

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We have two RSPCA rescue cats, where we keep indoors.
Reasons for this are we don't have any catflaps, busy roads nearby and as mentioned already, don't want any high vet bills.
Only negative side is that when our cats do a dump, it bloody stinks, doesn't last long though.
give them biscuits not tinned shyte .....canned pet food is bloody awful stuff.
Indeed it is, I have friends who live in Canberra and they are required to do the same, just seems cruel.

When you look at Australia's overall record on the environment it seems futile to impose this on surburban areas where most people live.

This is a nation that has cleared almost 10 million hectares of forest since the turn of the century
ding dong ....!! sorry , mechanically cleared or burned in bush fires , you're not getting us confused with Brazil or Malaysia are you..?? neither of which has a cat curfew btw. There is a moratorium on clearing old growth , native forests with the only states still performing limited logging being Tasmania , Victoria and W.A also gargantuan radiata forestry projects for carbon sequestration and replanting of native species , far worse is Australia removing millions of cubic mths of natural gas from the ground and virtually giving it away unlike Qatar and Norway who actually make a fortune from their gas industry.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I’ve been in a few properties where there are multiple cats, one house had 9 which I thought was too many until I worked in another with 16 (they also had 7 dogs)
I have nine and can confirm it's too many. All rescues and all neutered/spayed. There are more strays than pets here in Jakarta with situations like abandoned kittens and the like common. No dogs, though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Cats should be kept in over night in this country too, non native wildlife killers.

Attachments

• IMG_3529.jpeg
    IMG_3529.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 24

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My cat has never ventured far and we keep her in at night and first thing in the morning when birds are often foraging. In early January someone shot her with an airgun. 10 days in the Royal Veterinary College hospital in Potters Bar and 4 hours emergency surgery on a Saturday night saved her and she is recovering. We are looking into putting in fences to keep her in the garden but may have to keep her indoors. No idea who did it but I would seriously like to get my hands on the cxxt if I find out.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's only the Aussies!

Perhaps if they have so much money in the coffers and their police have so little to do other than set up "paw patrols", we could send a few sailing ships out to bring them home. Solves the country's financial problems and lack of police officers in one hit.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
When you go into a house cat home it always stinks of cat piss which I think the owners get used to.
When I first inherited my Persian Tom cat he pissed everywhere and the house did stink. However, it was easily solved by having him neutered and swabbing the place with caustic soda.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
My cat is contained indoors and has no interest in going outside. I can't let him outside anyway due to it being a white cat who would very easily get skin cancer on the nose or ears here under the Australian sun.

That said, even without this I wouldn't want a pet to be roaming around unsupervised in an uncontrolled environment - too many risks to the animal - i.e. traffic hazards, nasty people, attacks by other animals, eating or drinking something poisonous., etc. For my own piece of mind I'd prefer to keep my cat inside.
My Persian stays in sleeping all day and pops out sometimes for an hour or two at night to meet up with his mates. 4 or 5 of them sit together (the others are neutered ferals) for a chat and to get fed by the neighbour who looks after them (by catching them, getting them tested and neutered, and then feeding them daily).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here