Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 24/7 Cat Curfew - Australia

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When you go into a house cat home it always stinks of cat piss which I think the owners get used to.
No, No I definitely am not used to it, I hate it, but I am over ruled on all things concerning our kittens.
I am also allergic to them because they are boys, and give off more allergens apparently, can't wait until they are neutered !!
Hopefully I wont suffer as much as I am at the moment, they have not been outside yet and we do not intend to let them out really.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
When you go into a house cat home it always stinks of cat piss which I think the owners get used to.
Not true. Maybe for the less abled, but I know many house cat homes that do not smell🐈‍⬛:poop:
Good for Geelong! Any law that stops the little buggers shitting in my garden would be fine by me!
The chances of a cat from Geelong shitting in your garden in Gloucester are fairly low to be honest! :wink:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I’ve been in a few properties where there are multiple cats, one house had 9 which I thought was too many until I worked in another with 16 (they also had 7 dogs)
The worst was a small flat with I’m not sure how many, there was a cat everywhere I looked, I didn’t count them or ask the crazy cat lady how many she had :ohmy:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The chances of a cat from Geelong shitting in your garden in Gloucester are fairly low to be honest! :wink:
You'd be fuming if they did, mind.

cats.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I guess the reason is damage to local wildlife. No idea if this is a bigger problem in Australia than here.
Indeed it is, I have friends who live in Canberra and they are required to do the same, just seems cruel.

When you look at Australia's overall record on the environment it seems futile to impose this on surburban areas where most people live.

This is a nation that has cleared almost 10 million hectares of forest since the turn of the century

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve been in a few properties where there are multiple cats, one house had 9 which I thought was too many until I worked in another with 16 (they also had 7 dogs)
The worst was a small flat with I’m not sure how many, there was a cat everywhere I looked, I didn’t count them or ask the crazy cat lady how many she had :ohmy:
So many pussies in one place outrageous🤣

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its the best idea ever and I hope it comes in here in the UK. One of the things here in the UK is this daft belief that people think cats have to be noctural and should be allowed to wander freely wherever and whenever they like. They don't need to do that, its just that you've trained them to do that!! Its like letting your toddler wander all over the neighbourhood stopping to poop where ever it likes, in whomevers garden or porch pots, and grabbing things to have a nibble on whenever it likes. Its just wrong. So many cats get run over in the night too, so many posts on social media for families looking for their cats...

In Australia, our cat slept through the night, on top of the water heater or in its bed in the laundry having been shut in as is the law. In the day it was in our garden and couldn't get out (or it liked to be down the back of the piano which to this day I still can't work out why). It ate cat food, not local birds and did its business in the litter tray or in OUR garden. Its pretty simple, it was our cat and stayed in OUR house as it had done since it was a kitten. They are what you allow them to be.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's worked in the States. They tried a cat curfew in West Kansas and 8 out of 10 owners preferred it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Out of interest, are we talking stereotypically massive Aussie garden with enough room to raise about 15 young test cricketers to be in it, or something closer to what might be expected from the back yard of a terraced house in Doncaster?

Not that it really alters the fact that people shouldn't let their cats out to eat whatever passing animal takes their fancy. It's just it's an easier adjustment for the cat if they've got more space to be confined in.
Its not a massive garden, rougly 10 metres by 5 metres and including a deck. But our thinking was it would take some adjusting for them to just be inside so this would be easier.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I’m not sure how to feel about that. How is this policed? Do they just nab any cats they find out on the street and then try to contact the owner via the details on the cat’s microchip?

I think I’d be annoyed by taxes being spent on this. Plus what do they do with the cats that are feral and not chipped, do they all just get destroyed?

I’d fear the impact on shelters too, especially for those who felt their own properties weren’t of a sufficient size to be comfortable homes for their pets. I could see local shelters getting overloaded with cats being returned to them.

I’d be interested to know how it goes.

Our neighbouring council did it last year. I haven't heard of any of these problems, I'll see if I can find any info later.

At present if a cat is constantly in your garden you can order a cat trap from the council to trap it and take it to a shelter. If they are not registered, chipped and neutered then my guess is they are put up for adoption.

With the new scheme my guess is that owners will be fined when they pick them up. Although I guess this needed to be limited or they just won't bother.

I see this more as asking responsible owners to do the right thing rather than sending our patrols of cat catchers like in cartoons (although there are vans about doing that job).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Let's try this argument over dogs instead. Dog litter trays to stop them crapping all over the place. Don't worry about exercise or fresh air, they'll soon adapt. It would stop them attacking local fauna, oops I mean humans. Not sure it would catch on but...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Let's try this argument over dogs instead. Dog litter trays to stop them crapping all over the place. Don't worry about exercise or fresh air, they'll soon adapt. It would stop them attacking local fauna, oops I mean humans. Not sure it would catch on but...
I am assured that dogs are kept on a lead or trained to be under control and they are picked up after they shit everywhere.

The evidence suggests this doesn't really work.

My oldest has always been terrified of dogs. We have worked on this and he is now okay with dogs that are under control. The ones jumping up at him and carrying on are still and issue (even with the owner shouting from a distance 'don't worry he won't hurt you he's just being friendly. He shouldn't be scared of dogs, they won't hurt him. I usually shoo the beast away and curtly reply, 'he is only scared of dogs not under control'.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We just found one of our cats at the front door. Little bugger has been to Glouster shitting in @GT49er s garden again.

Sorry about that.

Now I have to work out where he got out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I love dogs more than I love cats I must admit though I and feel guilty about killing that one.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I never trust people that are aggresively anti cat. Same sort of weirdos that are obsessed with bringing back national service

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
for the non-house cats, going to busy at the vets.
All the netting and stuff for our cat jail cost about 3 vet trips. So economically it makes sense. The time and aggro of putting it all up was huge though. And one is still getting out. The nimble bastard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here