£22.00

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Cheeky Monkey said:
The thing is, what would most people consider a fair price (not performance based obviously!) for watching the Albion in 2004?

A price of around £12-£13 would see me attend more games than I do currently.

I'd agree with that. I think that was the price of the Swindon away ticket for the Play-Offs, with £6 or so for a junior. It just seemed about right.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was one shilling and sixpence + three pence for a programme when I started going to the Goldstone (1963).It was in black and white then though.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
EVerybody is quoting the price that they paid at whatever point they started going but has anybody worked out the price of a ticket in ration* to their wages?

Then you will see if football has become more expensive or less expensive over the years.

of course I meant ratio*

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Leicester away was £22 too. It is too expensive, but the club is losing money at those prices, even when Withdean was full each week.

If you cut the price from £22 to £12 then the club would lose (6000 x £10) = £60,000

but might gain an extra 500 supporters at £12 = £6,000 so you can see why they do not do it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm pretty sure that when I first started going to the Goldstone, in 1971, it was 25p for U16's and 5p for a copy of 'ALBION NEWS'.

My pocket money (age 8) was 5p - recently converted as it was from 1 shilling.

I would have to pay £14 for my 9yo son - and his pocket money is £9 a month = £2.07/week.

So the football to pocket money ratio between 1971 and 2004 is roughly 1 : 1.35, which suggests that football is now only 35% more expensive that it was in 1971.

n.b. obviously this does not allow for the facts that: in 1971 it was Division 3 football, rather than Championship (or in old money - Division 2) football; and I am considerably more wealthy in relative terms than my parents were in 1971.

So what does it prove ?? As the diminutive 'magician' would rather irritatingly say 'Not a lot!' but it is vaguely interesting :)

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
fatbadger said:
Football has got ridiculously expensive, let's be honest. I went along to York City vs Accrington Stanley last week, as I was in York for work. £13 for non-league football - and apparently virtually every club in the Conference is priced at between £10 and £15 nowadays - is obscene.

Quick bit of additional research: the cheapest prices for adults are the terraces at Hereford, Forest Green Rovers, Northwich Victoria and Leigh RMI, at all of which you can get in for £8. :clap: to those clubs.

And it's £7 quid to get in at say Worthing (I suspect Lewes and Bogoff Regis are priced about the same) with another 50p/£1 for a seat! Although what I love about going to local mathces is getting a cup of molten tea (in a flimsy cup....spill it everytime) for 50p, and a rock hard mars bar that has been in the tea hut since the beginning of time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Charlie

Yes I think it was 50p a transfer price, although at the west ham game, I went from the North Stand to the South stand for free as I was being chased by hooligans at the time

That is why I always will hate the east london w*****s

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Titanic said:
I'm pretty sure that when I first started going to the Goldstone, in 1971, it was 25p for U16's and 5p for a copy of 'ALBION NEWS'.

My pocket money (age 8) was 5p - recently converted as it was from 1 shilling.

I would have to pay £14 for my 9yo son - and his pocket money is £9 a month = £2.07/week.

So the football to pocket money ratio between 1971 and 2004 is roughly 1 : 1.35, which suggests that football is now only 35% more expensive that it was in 1971.

n.b. obviously this does not allow for the facts that: in 1971 it was Division 3 football, rather than Championship (or in old money - Division 2) football; and I am considerably more wealthy in relative terms than my parents were in 1971.

So what does it prove ?? As the diminutive 'magician' would rather irritatingly say 'Not a lot!' but it is vaguely interesting :)

It proves that you're giving your son way too much pocket money ??? ?

Based upon the ONS RPI annual changes from 1971 to 2003, prices should have risen by a factor of 9.79, so your 25p for under 16's should now be a price of £ 2.45.

You should only be giving your son 49p pocket money a week !

But then of course, the RPI doesn't include the exhorbitant hikes in players wages since 1971 either !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports