• Cristian Baz & Agustein Battipiedi

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Inigo Calderon

Votes: 8 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Plenty of time to get your votes in for Group A, but Group B kicks off today.

Same as usual, vote for the flairest, top 4 go through

Group A: Group A

Group B:

Vicente

Nationality: Spanish

Albion Career: 2011-13 (29 appearances, 5 goals)

Credentials: Near mythical, injury prone wizard who often flattered to deceive. Subject of one of the ultimate transfer sagas in Albion history, climaxing in being paparazzied in a suburban Italian restaurant. Epic fall out with Gus Poyet. Absolutely mental levels of technical ability.

1711011569417.png

Sergei Gotsmanov

Nationality: Soviet/Belarussian

Albion Career: 1990 (16 appearances, 4 goals)

Credentials: Outrageously exotic signing for the time. Enigmatic skill wizard and was once given a Lada car. In many ways paved the way for a lot of the others in this tournament

1711011640745.png

George O’Callaghan

Nationality: Irish

Albion Career: 2007 (14 appearances, 0 goals)

Credentials: Bad boy midfielder who was not afraid to speak his mind, most notably upon his exit where he absolutely tore into Dick Knight. Extremely gifted midfielder but lazy and enjoyed a night out on the tiles.

1711011679023.png

Jonny Dixon

Albion Career: 2008-09 (5 appearances, 0 goals)

Credentials: Model/producer who fancied having a go at playing football. Rocked up to his contract signing in the chunkiest knitted sweater imaginable. Devilishly handsome. Went out with actress/singer/far right political commentator Holly Valance.

1711012763180.png

Florent Chaigneau

Nationality: French

Albion Career: 2005-06 (1 appearance, 0 goals)

Credentials: Spent the bulk of his time at the Albion in nightclubs, surrounded by women and chain smoking. Lived the dream

1711012650808.png

Kemy Agustien

Nationality: Curacaoan/Dutch

Albion Career: 2013-15 (13 appearances, 0 goals)

Credentials: Could occasionally be found waddling around the pitch when he wasn’t posting low end philosophy on social media. Very gifted but seemed to refuse to actually use that ability. Had a red beard for a bit?

1711012700788.png

Jiri Skalak

Nationality: Czech

Albion Career: 2016-18 (43 appearances, 2 goals)

Credentials: Went on the absolute lash after Brighton achieved promotion to the Premier League. Scored on of the greatest ever Amex goals and did very little else.

1711012873885.png

Cristian Baz & Agustin Battipiedi

Nationality: Argentinian

Albion Careers: Baz: 2010-11 (12 appearances, 0 goals). Battipiedi: 2010-11 & 2012-13 (18 appearances, 0 goals)

Credentials: Signed with much fanfare and disappeared fairly quickly. Baz produced one of the great penalty shootout moments when he scored a winning penalty with a nonchalant Panenka kick and didn’t realise that it was the winning spot kick.

1711012949633.png
1711013010524.png

Inigo Calderon

Albion Career: 2010-16 (198 appearances, 18 goals)

Credentials: Had a lovely face

1711013041026.png

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
far from me to suggest any BIAS on the part of the officials here, but I'm not sure that's a very strong 'sell' of Calderon's credentials!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The most notable thing I can remember about Kemy Agustien, apart from the fact that he is (literally) the only Albion player, in my 40+ years of attendance, that I have been moved to boo at a game (he clearly didn't give a f***) - is that from his social media, he appeared to live in a big house / apartment that contained absolutely NO FURNITURE.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
far from me to suggest any BIAS on the part of the officials here, but I'm not sure that's a very strong 'sell' of Calderon's credentials!
I don't think he's that flair though, is he? What does he do that's flair?

He's not very flamboyant. He hasn't wasted great ability. He doesn't get involved in off-field shenanigans.

I love the bloke but I'm surprised he's even in the tourney tbh. Very good solid club servant at RB.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

He's not very flamboyant. He hasn't wasted great ability. He doesn't get involved in off-field shenanigans.

I love the bloke but I'm surprised he's even in the tourney tbh. Very good solid club servant at RB.
I do agree completely - but it's not the job of the ref to basically push that view. Let's have some INTEGRITY here, FFS.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I 'met' him (Calderon) lastThursday night, funnily enough, while getting some sugar for my coffee, at the back of the WSU concourse. He was there for the Roma game, with his lad - and for whatever reason was in WSU rather than any club seats.

I gave him a NOD, and he SMILED back.

A true meeting of minds.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
very proud of my bias in this instance, I want him OUT!!!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Vicente's slaloming run against, I think, Derby where he beat seemingly their entire team about 3 times before smashing the ball against the bar pretty much sums him up as a flair ICON. If you throw in the fact that he basically didn't train at all when he was here, yet was rolled out onto the pitch to cast some spells that Harry Potter would be proud of, he has to get my vote.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Vicente's slaloming run against, I think, Derby where he beat seemingly their entire team about 3 times before smashing the ball against the bar pretty much sums him up as a flair ICON. If you throw in the fact that he basically didn't train at all when he was here, yet was rolled out onto the pitch to cast some spells that Harry Potter would be proud of, he has to get my vote.
I loved the way Vicente beat players without actually performing any kind of TRICK at all. Its like he just somehow compelled them to transfer their weight onto the wrong foot, so he could glide past, unimpeded.

I've said it before, but I'm convinced the guy was a JEDI.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I loved the way Vicente beat players without actually performing any kind of TRICK at all. Its like he just somehow compelled them to transfer their weight onto the wrong foot, so he could glide past, unimpeded.

I've said it before, but I'm convinced the guy was a JEDI.
It's like Mary Poppins winning the horse race because all of the other riders saw who is was and just drifted out of the way. It would have been really interesting to see how Vicente would have done had we signed him as a PL club, where defenders might not have been so thrown off guard by his wizardry.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's like Mary Poppins winning the horse race because all of the other riders saw who is was and just drifted out of the way. It would have been really interesting to see how Vicente would have done had we signed him as a PL club, where defenders might not have been so thrown off guard by his wizardry.
In the squad now with much better quality players around him, he'd have been a huge asset.

(Or more likely, sat on the bench nursing some unspecified niggle, as per!)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This is a really tough group.

In Vicente and Dixon you have the two ends of the flair spectrum. One a dj with absolutely no discernible footballing skills even at the low level he was signed at, who managed to date one of the fittest neighbours girls of all time, the other one of the great players of his generation, way too good for those he was playing with and against, a devilishly handsome spanish man made of glass who was forced to 'play' for a second year after not really wanting to.

Then you've got Sergei Gotzmanov. A man from the other side of the cold war divide who appeared for three months, a matter of months after the Berlin wall fell, to dazzle the Albion and the second division before disappearing into the ether(or southampton's reserves, whatever you prefer to call it...).

Finally you've got Skalak, essentially a poor man's Czech Beckham. A willing runner, limited dribbling ability but a hell of a cross on him, scorer of an absolute classic foot like a traction engine goal. Crazy haircut and celebrated promotion to the premier league harder and more fervently than any fan. But didn't play a single minute in the premier league. Also arrived as a full Czech international (at a time when we didn't really have any in the squad)so came with some fanfare and a decent amount of expectation. Apart from that firecracker of a goal didn't really live up to the hype.

They all deseerve to go through, how are you suposed to chose?!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
yeh, being able to beat players at ease without being capable of anything beyond a gentle jog and just using his pure sorcery was incredible to watch

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The various mentions of party boys in this round got me thinking. Did Andy Kennedy have quite a reputation for this sort of thing?

Also, can you be flair of you are Scottish?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
The various mentions of party boys in this round got me thinking. Did Andy Kennedy have quite a reputation for this sort of thing?

Also, can you be flair of you are Scottish?
I'd say so. A bit like Ireland they do produce more than their fair share of party boys

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020

Spanish, has a goatee, Poyet’s first signing (I think) around a time when we had a pretty dull, mostly British squad. He certainly screamed flair to me at the time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here