Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2019/20 Premier League VAR decisions

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
No you're ok, I commend you for your google search, but no, handball is handball.

And that was not handball, I commend you for your inability to stay up to date with the new laws of the game. Adapt or move on

Maybe you’re just getting old

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
VAR is still a human decision, unlike cricket or tennis. So VAR isn't really a 100% correct answer, so we are better off without it.
There is no logic in that argument.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see from the replies that Sussex Nobhead still hasn't upped his game. And I don't need VAR to work that out. :shrug:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's great if you like not bothering to celebrate a goal. Scoring a goal is the best thing in football. Now you can see the players waiting for VAR confirmation and also only hear a half hearted cheer from the crowd. What a joy stopper VAR truly is.

There was no shortage of celebrations at Watford on Saturday. We scored, we celebrated. In most cases a goal will stand, just as they did prior to VAR. Fans regularly used to cheer goals, only for a linesman's flag to ruin the celebrations-what's different now with VAR?

VAR has been introduced, partly, in response to players looking for more ways to cheat undetected. If the only thing VAR does is to eliminate cheating (especially in penalty areas) then it has to be good.

The "VAR will add 5 minutes minimum to games" argument didn't happen at Watford. We got the obligatory 4 minutes typical of most games. VAR Checks were made as the game was going on without affecting the play. It actually added a bit more tension and I for one like it. We actually got a couple of extra celebrations-especially the 'No Penalty' one. Referees historically have been accused of having a bias towards or against clubs-that will no longer be the case.

The offside law really needs changing back to how it used to be.. Sterling was deemed offside but Jesus(?) wasn't?

Embrace the new technology-it will help to eliminate incorrect decisions. Referees will improve their decision making and players will be able to cheat less. If one incorrect decision gets overturned by VAR and the correct decision means that we don't get relegated, or get through to the next round of the cup, etc. will the VAR detractors still be against it?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
By far the worst thing about VAR is the media and people endlessly discussing and complaining about it.

My hope was/is that it would/will lead to less discussion about refereeing decisions and more discussion about actual games, skills, passes and goals.

606 talked far more about the non handball in the wall than they did about the pass. control and finish of our third goal. I guess this reflects what people want to get out of the game but to me its dull.

Priorities are skewed.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Whilst I think VAR will cut out some of the cheating, inveterate cheaters will still seek to prosper. Just look at David Warner....the ultimate cricket cheat, and he still wouldn’t walk when he KNEW he’d hit the ball, and absolutely knew the decision would be reviewed. Some cheats just can’t help themselves. I would imagine Zahahaha will be another Warner...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
By far the worst thing about VAR is the media and people endlessly discussing and complaining about it.

My hope was/is that it would/will lead to less discussion about refereeing decisions and more discussion about actual games, skills, passes and goals.

Agreed. That said, I don’t think it’s much different to pre-VAR. Coverage (and some fans) had become obsessed with refereeing errors. I suppose it’s natural when you’ve seen beyond doubt that something was wrong, rather than just once with your own eyes.

I hope long term VAR will settle things down because there’ll be fewer howlers. Generally over the weekend, the video refs seemed to stick to the ‘clear and obvious’ threshold really well I thought and it’s much less disruptive without using the pitch-side monitor.

Done properly, VAR might even cut down on cheating and improve the irritating bits of player behaviour - because what’s the point protesting excessively? Someone needs to tell Pereyra though....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So based on yesterday it can correct very close offsides and silly handball decisions but do nothing about blatant penalties (Bournemouth,Man City)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here