Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 2019/20 Premier League VAR decisions

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I have issues with VAR, so what? The majority do on NSC, see the poll.

You are an idiot then VAR was correct. I can agree with you that the new handball law is wrong but you are blaming VAR which was correct. I cant help you if you direct your anger at the wrong person.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf See page 6 and 7 for the handball laws (3rd bullet point on pg 7 directly relates to the Murray incident.

Handball
Law 12

Changes

• Deliberate handball remains an offence
• The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
• the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
• a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm
and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally
bigger
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the
player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

7 Summary of main Law changes 2019/20

• The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above
situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or
the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not
made their body unnaturally bigger

•if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their
body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body
bigger)
•If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate
kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle
the ball

So it is human interpretation, what I've been saying all along.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You are an idiot then VAR was correct. I can agree with you that the new handball law is wrong but you are blaming VAR which was correct. I cant help you if you direct your anger at the wrong person.

Why the need to name call? Usually loses an argument.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In this case there is no interpretation if it hits an arm be it accidental or deliberate the goal doesnt stand. There is literally no interpretation involved.

There wasn't a goal when it hit Murray's arm. In fact there is never a goal on handball, if there is the ref will just play on and accept the goal. Murray was penalised for a very similar situation last season or the one before (?) for very much the same thing without VAR.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There wasn't a goal when it hit Murray's arm. In fact there is never a goal on handball, if there is the ref will just play on and accept the goal. Murray was penalised for a very similar situation last season or the one before (?) for very much the same thing without VAR.

The handball law changed this JUNE please read it and understand its this NEW law that is now being applied for this season last season yes it would have stood as a goal that is why I am saying direct your anger at the new law change FFS

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No you're ok, I commend you for your google search, but no, handball is handball.

No google search needed. The link to the law changes was in the tweet shared above. The same tweet that I presume you saw on MOTD2. According to the laws of the game, no, handball is not simply handball. But yes, the referee has to make the decision the same as always.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The handball law changed this JUNE please read it and understand its this NEW law that is now being applied for this season last season yes it would have stood as a goal that is why I am saying direct your anger at the new law change FFS

No, it would have stood as a handball, NOT a goal. Good grief.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Former players are great for discussions on tactics, what it's like on the pitch, and how they think the rules should be. They are not great for how the laws are, or how the lawmakers want them applied. Lineker also falls into the tv host category, where controversy is king, if he comes on and simply accepts every decision the show would be boring. His opinion isn't the last word in football.

We're not using VHS tapes. As mentioned before the law is about 'playing' the ball, it doesn't say 'the moment your foot initiates contact with the ball' or 'the moment the ball leaves the foot'. The 'play' terminology allows for there to be absolute confidence, with HD technology and high frame rate technology which is which common place these days, that they are freezing the frame at the right point.

I don't dispute this.

Which is why they have taken the current approach. If the technology we have on hand now, the most accurate available, shows he is offside, it has to be treated as such.

Thanks for enlightening me. Despite almost 3 decades working in TV sports production, I bow to your greater knowledge.

I’m sure Gary Lineker would also feel suitably chastised. Silly old fool - fancy having an opinion based on both playing the game at the very highest level AND years of seeing slomos being stitched together.

P.S. “we’ve” never used VHS. The professional format was Betamax.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No google search needed. The link to the law changes was in the tweet shared above. The same tweet that I presume you saw on MOTD2. According to the laws of the game, no, handball is not simply handball. But yes, the referee has to make the decision the same as always.

If so I am completely lost on footy laws now, I'll just watch and see what happens, not the game I even used to know last season, but thanks for the insight.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf See page 6 and 7 for the handball laws (3rd bullet point on pg 7 directly relates to the Murray incident.

Handball
Law 12

Changes

• Deliberate handball remains an offence
• The following ‘handball’ situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick:
• the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm
• a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm
and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally
bigger
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the
player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

7 Summary of main Law changes 2019/20

• The following will not usually be a free kick, unless they are one of the above
situations:
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from their own head/body/foot or
the head/body/foot of another player who is close/near
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which is close to their body and has not
made their body unnaturally bigger

•if a player is falling and the ball touches their hand/arm when it is between their
body and the ground to support the body (but not extended to make the body
bigger)
•If the goalkeeper attempts to ‘clear’ (release into play) a throw-in or deliberate
kick from a team-mate but the ‘clearance’ fails, the goalkeeper can then handle
the ball

One of the most interesting parts of the handball law now is that last section, which has gone absolutely unnoticed. It appears that if a keeper makes a complete ****-up of clearing a throw or back pass, he can pick the ball up. I think this is new? Maybe I’m interpreting it incorrectly. It’s ripe for exploitation and will rob us of some of football’s most hilarious moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here