Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** 2013/14 Ashes series. The official thread ****

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So people. Any series BETS?

After Graeme Swann did the business for me in the home series, I've got my TENNER riding on Sir JIMMY, as leading ENGLAND wicket taker this time round.

What price did you get HKFC? I'd like to get involved in that...

I think Australia are a better team than they are given credit for. Problem for them is I think England are a far better team than the one we saw in the summer. Barring a number of injuries to key personel I think we are looking at England 3 Australia 0.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm really torn between it being a hard fought, tight series which the Aussies could win - and us dicking all over them. Can't decide which is more likely. I kind of want the first as I'm looking forward to watching a lot of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What price did you get HKFC? I'd like to get involved in that...

I think Australia are a better team than they are given credit for. Problem for them is I think England are a far better team than the one we saw in the summer. Barring a number of injuries to key personel I think we are looking at England 3 Australia 0.

I can't access betting sites at work to check - I'll look when I get home.

I THINK it was 11/4. THINK.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
From a personal perspective the Ashes in Australia is hopeless ...............

Abe.gif

All credit to those who can keep their eyes open.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can't wait for it to start now, think it will be close. There's a bit of weather in brisbane so a draw would be perfect, remember that Cook's innings in the first match last time really hurt the convicts mentally and set us up for the rest of the series. We need to do that again, knock the confidence out of them and I'm sure they'll crumble.

A lot is dependant on how our key batsmen perform. Both bowling attacks are pretty even and both have 20 wickets in them, for that reason I think there won't be many draws. If Cook, Trott and KP all perform I think we'll come out on top. If they don't it will be really close.

Anderson and Broad seem to be firing which is good, the 3rd seamer is pretty important because if they don't perform it just lets the pressure off. Finn has taken wickets but they've been catches in the outfield - that tells you everything you need to know. The 3rd seamer doesn't need to take wickets on this tour, if it's Tremlett he just needs to keep his end tight and the other 3 will do the business.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Be lucky to get above 9/4 now. All odds came in today. I bet on England 3-0 but 20-1 this morning and now 16-1. Paddy P and winner have higher odds but are time wasters as they have a limit on the stake.

My Ashes betting strategy is simple, tried and tested since 1997. Assume England will win the series. Put big stake on predicted outcome. Cover this with smaller bets. So England 3-0 is prediction and is covered by smaller bets all on England winning; 3-1,4-1,2-0. Ignoring this time 2-1 as odds too low.

This has proved to be foolproof. Except when Australia have won, of course, but that has only been 5 out of 9 series! Luckily the odds given in 2005 have kept me in the black.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I think that England will retain the Ashes - we are used to winning - The opposite to the Aussies. But the scoreline to be much closer than in the summer. The 3rd seamer point is very valid. My hunch is that Finn is our best bet. I can see Jonny Bairstow having a good series if he plays - he seems to have an excellent mentality for playing in Australia - I think Root will come good especially if he is back down to 6. We do need to see Trott revert back to the rock that he has so often been. I'm guessing that Cook will be fine - just an off-series in the summer.

Well just how match fit is M/P ? England can't afford to play him in first test then lose him due to injury in that game and be out for a test or two.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Top order to fire this series, cook trotty and KP to fire in some good scores. Prior is due a big score as well. Tremlett loves Aussie pitches, England 3-0.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So people. Any series BETS?

After Graeme Swann did the business for me in the home series, I've got my TENNER riding on Sir JIMMY, as leading ENGLAND wicket taker this time round.

What price did you get HKFC? I'd like to get involved in that.

I can't access betting sites at work to check - I'll look when I get home.

I THINK it was 11/4. THINK.

Not to worry - I'll have a look when I get home, betting sites banned at work.

Be lucky to get above 9/4 now. All odds came in today..

It was actually better than I thought. 7/2 (Betvictor)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

View attachment 48818

I almost failed my degree following the 02/03(?) Ashes series. I don't know why I even bothered. Was it 4-1 to Australia?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

View attachment 48818

Can't wait for this series to start. Managed to blag working from home every Thursday and Friday for the next couple of months, so loadsa telly cricket watching for me lined up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ian Bell showed that Australia's modest bowling attack can be tamed. I think the key man could be KP. It's his 100th test tomorrow, and if he can post a big ton it will set him up for the series and the rest of the team could feed off that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So 4 hours til KO, here is the first Cricinfo update....

6am Morning to all you early-risers, or evening to those trying to stay up in England...or, in fact, hello to anyone around the world waiting for Ashes resumption. Just to let you know that the ESPNcricinfo team, both in Brisbane and London, will be with you from about 9am local time with all the build-up. For now, you can start by getting involved with one of our new toys for this series - The Ashes Witty Banter Zone, our new social hub (I think that's the term) where you can keep up with all the Ashes-related twitter action. It's all in association with our friends at Dave. If you tweet to @espncricinfo and include #ashesbanter your conversation will appear at the top of the page.
Of course, we'll also have all the usual fun for you here on the ball-by-ball with Gnasher (that's me, Andrew McGlashan), Alan Gardner and Brydon Coverdale, while reporting from the Gabba will be George Dobell, David Hopps, Dan Brettig alongside Jarrod Kimber on the drums, sorry video. There will also be columns from Mark Nicholas throughout the series and we have Ian Bell back with us for the players' view. It was, obviously, being our columnist which inspired him to be Man of the Series in England. So, get tweeting, coffee-drinking (or beer) and we'll see you in a couple of hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here