• Romney

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 9 7.1%

• Total voters

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Obama is still a republican's best vote. He did not utilise the united government he had in his first 2 years, the Republicans showed he can bow to right-wing pressure. Romney and Paul are f***ing scary. Paul's economic recovery plan is to cut social welfare etc, then increase military spending. Because that's a sure way to get out of an economic mess passed on from Bush to Obama to then possibly himself.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Pity Newt Gingrich didn’t win the Republican nomination. He was a complete fuckwit with a massive ego and zero chance of winning - but he would have made a very long and boring election a bit more amusing. Romney just isn’t any fun.

Every potential Nominee was a fuckwit though. Gingrich, Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Santorum. Either an extremist, an idiot, or a cross section of both. Out of a shower of crap, Romney was obviously seen as the lesser of all the evils.

Romney will hopefully implode before November, making the re-election of Obama a formality. The biggest threat the Democrats have to victory is vote rigging in Republican area's where they try to exclude voters, like they did in Florida in 2000.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The biggest threat the Democrats have to victory is vote rigging in Republican area's where they try to exclude voters, like they did in Florida in 2000.

They are trying to pass voter ID laws, which discriminate against the poor (who are more likely to vote democrat) because they are less likely to have government issued ID. Some counties and trying to restrict voting hours to those that usually have a higher republican turn out. These laws are almost always being tabled by republicans.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Obama is a fairly poor president, all the wonderful rhetoric in his election campaign has collapsed in to the insoluble problem of hitting the brick wall that is Congress and the Senate.

Rather an indictment of Congress, isn't it? He can't exactly request a dissolution and new elections....

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
They are trying to pass voter ID laws, which discriminate against the poor (who are more likely to vote democrat) because they are less likely to have government issued ID. Some counties and trying to restrict voting hours to those that usually have a higher republican turn out. These laws are almost always being tabled by republicans.

Thank goodness many of these changes are being overturned by the courts and all that still stand are being challenged. Obama has to be held partly responsible for the Tea Party success in 2010 which led to these sickening changes to voting rights and womens rights.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Obama is still a republican's best vote. He did not utilise the united government he had in his first 2 years.

Unfortunately, he was faced with a coalition-government situation in Congress, where there are three parties, but only two labels. There are the Republicans, who are Republicans. There are the Democrats, who are Republicans. And there are the Democrats who are Democrats. The latter make up maybe a third of the Senate. To get a majority, you need the Democrats who are Democrats and the Democrats who are Republicans. And then, since there's an effective 60-vote super-majority requirement to move anything through the Senate, you need one or two Republicans who are Republicans.

The upshot is, nothing happens.... almost.

(When I was a lad, there was a fourth party in Congress, Republicans who are Democrats. People like Ed Brooke, Jim Jeffords, Jacob Javits, Chuck Percy, John Chaffee... This species is now extinct, after the Confederate takeover of the national Republican party. And even when there were four parties, there were still only two labels.)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Rather an indictment of Congress, isn't it? He can't exactly request a dissolution and new elections....
What I'm trying to say is that he did talk the talk but as usually happens the American system of government stifles political progress and he couldn't walk the walk. Sometimes a president can rise above that level of political gridlock by his personality but, sadly Obama hasn't really been able to. Yep, great uplifting speeches and great desire to change things but....

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Sometimes a president can rise above that level of political gridlock by his personality but, sadly Obama hasn't really been able to. Yep, great uplifting speeches and great desire to change things but....

Actually, no one is. Look at the Congressional majorities FDR and LBJ had, and you'll see personality has little to do with it. This is an extremely hot topic in US poli-sci circles right now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I actually think Obama is very good however I did think Hilary would have made a better President but she has been very good on foreign policy.

Bloody hell. We can agree on some things.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I actually think Obama is very good however I did think Hilary would have made a better President but she has been very good on foreign policy.

Bill was the most active and effective mediator and foreign dkplomat.
She will be doing the same as him because she is of same political intent and sympathy.
There is a reason they are still married - they are in political agreement at least.

Obama would have to do something awful to lose. As Pres he is not impressing everyone because he cannot - but Mittstakes is abominable, hapless hopeless and hard to like even for his own party - and Reps will vote for a chimp if it wears their sash.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010

Absolutely, any other way seen would mean a monopolosing of govrrnment by Reps.
When the Democrat malcontents were slow to support their own with Clinton (and include that fuckwit Al Gore who distanced himself later from a successful Presidency), theh let the wolf in the door.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Thank goodness many of these changes are being overturned by the courts and all that still stand are being challenged. Obama has to be held partly responsible for the Tea Party success in 2010 which led to these sickening changes to voting rights and womens rights.

How is Obama "responsible" for the teaparty?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Unfortunately, he was faced with a coalition-government situation in Congress, where there are three parties, but only two labels. There are the Republicans, who are Republicans. There are the Democrats, who are Republicans. And there are the Democrats who are Democrats. The latter make up maybe a third of the Senate. To get a majority, you need the Democrats who are Democrats and the Democrats who are Republicans. And then, since there's an effective 60-vote super-majority requirement to move anything through the Senate, you need one or two Republicans who are Republicans.

The upshot is, nothing happens.... almost.

(When I was a lad, there was a fourth party in Congress, Republicans who are Democrats. People like Ed Brooke, Jim Jeffords, Jacob Javits, Chuck Percy, John Chaffee... This species is now extinct, after the Confederate takeover of the national Republican party. And even when there were four parties, there were still only two labels.)
Ah, very true. Democrats from the southern states appear more Republican than Democrat, but I suppose that's forced because of the average political views of the south. This is one problem of having such a large country. However, I do still believe Obama could have done more in those first 2 years.

I do remain hopeful and sure he will win another term, my only concern after that would be who to replace him. Hopefully that Hispanic 'Obama' would be the nomination. The republican party at the moment is all over the place and they really need to jump on that otherwise the chances are a republican similar Bush could be in charge.

I'd like to see a female President though.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wouldn't vote for either of them, Obama will win though.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I said he was partly responsible for the Tea Party success in 2010. He didn't handle things properly in the first 2 years to solidify his position.

What should he have done better that he could have?
Im sure he knows in hindsight, but he's more than likely possessed by those aims - whereas Romney is happier to barefaced lie about intentions, or wriggle out of them.
He's already 'challenged' McCain to "look at my record" regarding claims in his state governing record - for the truth to reveal his failures, the abject situation he left behind with horrible debt!
His refusal to reveal tax returns "petty" for Dems to even ask, yet asking to see Barack's birth certificate is fair game.

Those Reps defy belief, but i suspect they don't care while there's less to pillage from the country

Woodingdeanseagulls

Jan 4, 2012
So, under Obama’s watch, debt held by the public had increased by about $4.5 trillion, or roughly 72 percent. Total debt had increased by nearly $5 trillion, or about 47 percent - and growing.

This is Obama's problem.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
So, under Obama’s watch, debt held by the public had increased by about $4.5 trillion, or roughly 72 percent. Total debt had increased by nearly $5 trillion, or about 47 percent - and growing.

This is Obama's problem.

Course it's his problem and he is dealing with it and not by cutting medical care for the elderly and most in need.
Do you think he would have this debt if things had not gone so wrong before he was President?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here