Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne

The 18th Commonwealth Games are finally about to kick off this evening at the greatest stadium in the world, the MCG.

As a resident of Melbourne - in fact i live about 2 miles from the MCG - I am looking forward to finally seeing some sport after a good couple of years of hype and PR...

Last time in Manchester the Aussies killed us in the medal table, notching up 82 Golds compared to England's 54. But with Ian Thorpe and Grant Hackett out of the swimming maybe this is England's chance to show the Aussies what we are really made of.

Does anyone really care?

Sadly have to make do with 2nd or 3rd tier sports.... Basketball, Rugby 7's, Badminton, Squash and running...

20/20 Cricket in the Comm Games would be awesome and i think the next Games are in India and they have chosen cricket as one of the sports to add.

Off to see the Lawn Bowls tomorrow and Friday :clap2:

Went to the final dress rehearsal at the G for the Opening Ceremony as my GF is part of it. Normally a bit sceptical of them, but this is quite good, some arty b/s parts, but overall not bad. Worth a look over your Weetabix.

Agree there should be football and cricket (20/20), but it would only be 2nd rung players with seasons and tours on atm.

:drink:

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

My mate is playing table tennis for Wales. He used to Welsh number 2 but is now number 5. They couldn't afford to fly everyone from the UK though, so he sneaked in as number 4 seed & womans coach - all because he lives in Sydney rather than Cardiff :clap2:

Watch out for little Dave Buck

don't see why not :clap:

i going to be have a few :drink: while i watch the olds lay down a few ends...i hope the drinks are genuine bowls club prices :D :drink: :drink: :drink:

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
If you're watching any of the triathlon, could you give the Scottish girls a shout of encouragement please.

I gather the cycle leg goes through the red light district, so it shouldn't be out of your way.

hey mate it is in the low 20's, a bit overcast, but tee shirt weather, sun starting to go down now

yeah normally it wouldn't get dark till 9:30 or so..daylight savings has also been extended for the Games till the end of March.

my gf's bit is over now, she'll be racing up into the stands to see the rest...as she hasn't even seen the whole thing yet.

the next few parts are a bit hoo hum

gets back on track when the church come on :clap:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
_41442154_tram203.jpg

Whoever thought up the idea of a FLYING TRAM for the opening ceremony?... It probably has something to do with the history of Melbourne but i'm not clued up on it.

Trigger said:
_41442154_tram203.jpg

Whoever thought up the idea of a FLYING TRAM for the opening ceremony?... It probably has something to do with the history of Melbourne but i'm not clued up on it.

What the red Double Decker bus is to London, the tram (a W Class in that pic) is to Melbourne. They are an integral part of getting around and an icon.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
AMelbourneAlbionSupporter said:
What the red Double Decker bus is to London, the tram (a W Class in that pic) is to Melbourne. They are an integral part of getting around and an icon.
Now it makes sense, thank you. :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nice to see all those teams from all over the world. Realised that before the British Empire was renamed the Commonwealth we ruled a quarter of the globe. Well done to the organisers to include native Australians in the opening ceremony theatricals seeing as it was their land before we nicked it from them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here