Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 Signs That Prove You're A Football Manager Addict

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Bad thread. Bad, bad thread.

Is it worth waiting until November for FM 15 to come out or does FM 14 receive updates as players move around in real life? If I'm going to have a go I'd like to start with the current Brighton team rather than last season's.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
You sod.

Your rather splendid and very helpful explanation seems to have pushed me over the edge.

Looks like some long winter evenings where dull television, and abject misery on return from a 1-0 defeat in some northern outpost, will be made glorious as my FM team gains a place in the FA Cup Quarter Final....

I feel like a pusher. I offer my apologies in advance to any friends and family who may be affected by the game :thumbsup:

I actually began my West Brom save a few days after the defeat to Palace in the play-off semi final, so the in-game success was a fantastic form of therapy for the most bitter of defeats to swallow!

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I am 57 years old and am still playing FM10 as I started a journeyman save in Ireland but resigned and was offered a job in the lowest league of Italian football. I am now in year 2019 and have just reached the dizzy heights of Serie A with the same team which must have taken me probably the last 2 years or so in real time

Obviously I am one of the slower players as I only get to play a few hours a week but I could spend endless hours boring anyone that cared to listen about how I have developed this club into what it is today. My goal is to attain Champions League glory so I still have a few years playing time before I have to consider my next challenge.

Don't ever let anyone tell you this game is not addictive!

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
You sod.

Your rather splendid and very helpful explanation seems to have pushed me over the edge.

Looks like some long winter evenings where dull television, and abject misery on return from a 1-0 defeat in some northern outpost, will be made glorious as my FM team gains a place in the FA Cup Quarter Final....

if you can wait - the version for this season will be out in november

in terms of playing with others, you can play a network game using steam. this means one of you are the 'host' (whoever has the most reliable, fast pc) and runs/creates the game, whilst the others log onto it remotely and pick/control their teams. its not a whole lot different - until you've actually played the game there wouldnt be any point to tell you the differences. the positives are all based purely on the social aspect of it

i spent a LOT of time playing network games with my housesmates at uni about 4 years ago - while it makes the game SO much better, unless you have somebody who is willing to play as much as you are, you're just wasting your time

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
if you can wait - the version for this season will be out in november

in terms of playing with others, you can play a network game using steam. this means one of you are the 'host' (whoever has the most reliable, fast pc) and runs/creates the game, whilst the others log onto it remotely and pick/control their teams. its not a whole lot different - until you've actually played the game there wouldnt be any point to tell you the differences. the positives are all based purely on the social aspect of it

i spent a LOT of time playing network games with my housesmates at uni about 4 years ago - while it makes the game SO much better, unless you have somebody who is willing to play as much as you are, you're just wasting your time

Thanks. I did notice that a new version was due, and counselled myself to perhaps wait till then. I appreciate your help.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks. I did notice that a new version was due, and counselled myself to perhaps wait till then. I appreciate your help.
Following the same line of thought, you may be able to get hold of FM14 for a relatively small sum now that the newer version is on the way.

It would allow you to have a go before November and decide whether it's for you before dropping the money for a full price FM15.

One of us, one of us, one of us...

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I feel like a pusher. I offer my apologies in advance to any friends and family who may be affected by the game :thumbsup:

I actually began my West Brom save a few days after the defeat to Palace in the play-off semi final, so the in-game success was a fantastic form of therapy for the most bitter of defeats to swallow!
Pretty sure I lost a European cup final that very night (or possibly the day after). FM can be such a fickle beast.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've had quite the career with Brighton in my FM14 save this time round.

Managed a decent finish in the Championship my first season and ended up winning it by a fair margin on the second. First season in the PL was a struggle but did manage to turn Palace over. Twice.

The moment it all changed for me was the transfer window just before my second season in the PL. I spunked all of my transfer budget on a chap called Vaclav Kadlec. I'd had him on FM13 and he was a beast so I figured I'd take a gamble. The fans weren't sure, they were questioning my abilities in the transfer market (art imitating life). I was right. He ended up winning the Golden Boot and the Player's Player of the Year award. His goals catapulted us up to the top ten and only a leaky defence stopped us cracking the top 6. I knew where I needed to strengthen.

Brought in Steven Caulker to partner with Dunk. Incredible partnership. We won the PL that season. Man City "stole" Kadlec from me by matching his £80m release clause. Used that money to strengthen and the squad now boasts Steven Caulker (England Captain), Memphis Depay, Will Hughes, Mario Balotelli and some cracking regens.

In 2020 we've won the PL twice (on course for a third) reach the Champions League final twice, won the Capital One Cup three times, FA Cup once. I've been manager of the year three times.

All in all it's been a great save. I am thinking of quitting Brighton though and taking on some no-name club somewhere; see if I can replicate my successes.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Pretty sure I lost a European cup final that very night (or possibly the day after). FM can be such a fickle beast.

Cripes :ohmy: My thoughts go out to you.

I you haven't read Football Manager stole my life then I would seriously recommend it. Here's one of the best stories from it:

FALSE No.999
By ADAM CLERY

There was no greater example of my commitment to FM than when my parents were away and I got my Hibernian side to the Uefa Cup final.

While I was hooking my laptop up to the TV downstairs, I thought, ‘You should wear your suit for this. If it was a real game you’d wear a suit’. So I did.

The game was end to end stuff; an enthralling cup classic. Towards the end of the first half there was a coming together, the referee played on and Wolfsburg scored. This just completely flipped my lid. It looked like one of the dots had really lunged in: a clear foul. I’m still angry.

I got the lads in at half time and I gave myself five minutes to lay into them. In terms of detail or emotion, nothing was held back.

The second half was everything the first half had been, and more. We hit the post, shots were cleared off the line, we had a penalty shout. I was going through the whole range of emotions. The pressure was starting to tell and there was a foul on the edge of the box.

We got a penalty. I paused the game and went all Alan Pardew, but instead of there being another manager there, there was nobody; nobody except a metaphorical rest-of-the-world. I composed myself, pressed resume and Andy Carroll slotted home the spot kick. The tide had turned. Their resolve was broken, their spirit shattered.

The tension was building when there was a bang on the front door. It was like a horror film where the victim was hiding in a barn with some sort of wild ox trying to charge it down. Reality set in. I was startled so much I just didn’t answer it. Another knock, louder. I pressed pause and I crept towards the door.

As the door creaked open, a blue light flooded in. I could make out the nervous outline of my frail neighbour, flanked by two policemen. Knowing that I was alone in the house and having heard all these screams and shouts for over an hour, he thought he’d better call the local constabulary to check I was ok.

The officers asked me what was going on. I was going to say I was having a fight with my girlfriend, but I’m glad I didn’t. I think my life would have turned out differently had I gone down that route. I swallowed my pride and explained I was playing a game. The more senior copper gave me a lecture, but I swear the other one was a player. He looked at me and in one glance said, “I know, mate”.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Give it a try, you won't regret it.

You'll be able to stop whenever you like, so don't worry. :thumbsup:

Dealer...

Last time I played for a prolonged period I got fired from Brighton after losing the championship playoff final but got offered the job at Middlesborough; gave up halfway through the season with them solidly looking for automatic as it'd have been at the Albions expense.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I find that my interest levels fluctuate once I get bored of my initial Albion game, which helps prevent it ever taking over my life.

I do, however, become obsessed with nurturing specific players - usually regens. For example, in one game there was an amazing 14-year-old Ajax regen that I decided I had to have and that I was the one to turn his potential into world class ability. Between Ajax wanting him to stay, and him not wanting to leave his home town club, it took FOUR seasons and £14m to get him. In those four years I tracked his performances and, every so often, bigged him up to the press so that I eventually became one of his favoured personnel. He went on to join Madrid for £85m another four seasons later

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Love it too much to stop. Just seeing if I can hold off until my in-laws leave in a couple of weeks before getting the beta access to fm2015. I've just got Staines into the Europa League in my 11th season on 2014 and feel like a new challenge is required.

Am I the only one that has made all the transfers for BHA?!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
My worst FM story was a few years ago. I was off to Glastonbury and we were leaving Brighton at 4.30am, I was last to be picked up so I new that if I woke up about 4.20 I could get ready in about 10 mins if I had everything sorted.

I had spent the evening with my family and packing and it got to about 9 and I though I should really think about heading to bed, even to just get some rest as I had a few mental days ahead. However the temptation of FM manager popped up. how could I leave the boys for a week, without having a fairwell game, making sure everyone is in check and that the assistant manager has everything covered, while im off getting mashed. In no time at all 9 turns into Midnight, It had been a fairly successful evening and I was pushing Bournemouth to promotion from league 2, I had done what I needed to and told myself just one more game, 2 O'clock comes round, I should really go to bed, even a couple of hours is better than nothing right? WRONG. 4.30 comes round I finish up my game and head off to glastonbury without any sleep, I dont sleep then until about 4am the following day, at least 40 hours spent awake all because of FM.

I have now given up my addiction too. however everytime 1st July comes round I tip my cap to the game in memory of the hours I spent scouting and looking up players to sign on that day every new save.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I find it is incredibly accurate in mirroring the real world in terms of transfers, at least in the first season or two before regens start to affect it. I guess it's probably due to the way the scouting network works - each club, particularly lower leagues, probably actually has a relatively limited pool of players based on budget and the extent of scouting network. But for example, in previous games I have taken Chris Wood and Jesse Lingard on loan, and signed a certain Argentinian that I'd never heard of called Leonardo Ulloa for around £2m, who went on to be my top scorer in the Championship. Only to see those transfers/loans (amongst others that I can't remember) happen in real life.

I've also seen a number of transfers between other clubs occur that I've then seen happen a little while later in real life.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
Wasted so many of my teenage years playing this, had to uninstall when I went to university and haven't dared buy another copy since. I can control every other craving I have but I find it completely impossible to casually play this game, it's impossible.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It has been a while, but classic Champ manager/ Football Manger signings of the past...

Cherno Samba
Freddy Adu
Tim Weiss

It has been a while but I am sure there are plenty other people remember.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here