Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 Signs That Prove You're A Football Manager Addict

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
:lolol:

Well it was tough, but admitting it is the first step and I hope, with your help I can make it through...

*breaks down and is consoled by the group leader*

Ok, you've inspired me, whilst I've managed to tone it down (ish, 500 hours is still a bit intense I admit) I did go through a period of doing pretty much exatly the same thing as you. What makes it really sad is that I was the manager of Oulon Tervarit in Norwegian league...um...well, it was where the bad teams lived.

None of the players I ever had at the club where ever going to amount to anything and yet, at the end of each season I'd print out all of their stats and use it to chronicle my time in charge. I've no idea what the benefit of this was, nor what caused me to start om the first place.

Sadly, I don't think that Oulon Tervarit actually exist anymore, which is almost like a part of my childhood dying.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Ok, you've inspired me, whilst I've managed to tone it down (ish, 500 hours is still a bit intense I admit) I did go through a period of doing pretty much exatly the same thing as you. What makes it really sad is that I was the manager of Oulon Tervarit in Norwegian league...um...well, it was where the bad teams lived.

None of the players I ever had at the club where ever going to amount to anything and yet, at the end of each season I'd print out all of their stats and use it to chronicle my time in charge. I've no idea what the benefit of this was, nor what caused me to start om the first place.

Sadly, I don't think that Oulon Tervarit actually exist anymore, which is almost like a part of my childhood dying.

Thank-you for sharing :) From the Finnish wikipedia, if I'm correct then Tervarit are still going: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tervarit (if you're on Chrome you can use the auto-translate).

This really is quite cathartic! Any more stories people?

Edit: Found their club website: http://www.tervarit.fi/

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Thank-you for sharing :) From the Finnish wikipedia, if I'm correct then Tervarit are still going: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tervarit (if you're on Chrome you can use the auto-translate).

This really is quite cathartic! Any more stories people?

Edit: Found their club website: http://www.tervarit.fi/

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I was basing my earlier assumptions on their continued operations from the wiki page of my star striker at the time Juho Makela, who apparently played for them for three seasons starting in 2000...well, now I feel old.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I was basing my earlier assumptions on their continued operations from the wiki page of my star striker at the time Juho Makela, who apparently played for them for three seasons starting in 2000...well, now I feel old.

Ta :thumbsup: Very happy to be of service.

Jul 7, 2003
I've been clean for 10 years and counting now. Just take it a day at a time, you can get there. I can't lie, in my darker moments a small part of me still longs for that old familiar rush, but I know that it isn't possible to "just play 30 minutes", so I stay well away.

Same here - I keep resisting the urge to download the mobile version to help kill time while travelling for work. I have a fear that I would get absorbed in a season and then find I've missed my flight.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've never played the game in my life, and know little about it. I'm a little frightened to ask, lest I begin to show interest....

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I've never played the game in my life, and know little about it. I'm a little frightened to ask, lest I begin to show interest....
Give it a try, you won't regret it.

You'll be able to stop whenever you like, so don't worry. :thumbsup:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

You've shown interest by posting in this very thread, which to me is the equivalent of screaming of 'oh please someone inform me of this glorious game, I need it in my life' so, to that end...it's gaming crack. The concept is very simple, take over almost any team or nation you can think of and try and forge a career worthy of Sir Alex F.

It doesn't sound too compelling, and any screenshots that you look at will make it seem like a pretty version of excel but, honestly, there are very few games that can generate the emotional results that FM does (I'm aware how ludicrous that sounds, others on this thread will back me up though, I'm sure of it...).

Try it. Go on. Dare you.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Surprised by the number of one team men.

Nothing like a journeyman career bumbling around the lower reaches of various second rate divisions eking out a career of failure upon failure with a strangely loyal ragtag coaching team.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You've shown interest by posting in this very thread, which to me is the equivalent of screaming of 'oh please someone inform me of this glorious game, I need it in my life' so, to that end...it's gaming crack. The concept is very simple, take over almost any team or nation you can think of and try and forge a career worthy of Sir Alex F.

It doesn't sound too compelling, and any screenshots that you look at will make it seem like a pretty version of excel but, honestly, there are very few games that can generate the emotional results that FM does (I'm aware how ludicrous that sounds, others on this thread will back me up though, I'm sure of it...).

Try it. Go on. Dare you.

I would be foolish to suggest that, even at a sub-conscious level, there hasn't been a flickering light of interest. There has. I even took a look online a while ago, but it I thought it best to take advice first. So here cometh the plunge...

I remember some of the games that cropped up in the 90s, they all seemed a little infantile and basic. Being a mad scholar of statistics and fair challenge, I felt that they weren't much of a task. If I was crap, I wanted my team performance to show it. I assume things have improved since then.

So, if you get the time, I'd like to ask some questions.

Do you feel that it is a real challenge, something that can really improve a persons logistical thinking ? (I'm guessing you probably do). If so how ?

Is it possible to play in leagues with others ?

Does the composition of the game, and the knowledge of players involved, reflect the real football world ?

I appreciate you have a life to lead, but if you get the chance, a little synopsis would be really helpful.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
**** this thread. It's too dangerous. I want to hear about peoples FM careers, but I know I shouldn't.

The book Football Manager Stole My Life is well worth a read too.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
FM is the only game I still play at 47. I have been known to work on one computer with another computer primed for FM, taking little breaks every now and then for the next match....I have been known to play FM while having hangout meetings..... been known to talk in my sleep about FM..... been known to make NSC comments on players based on FM knowledge...

However in recent years playing time has been down .... saying that Im doing a lot of travelling at the mo and staying in hotels so the hours have started creeping up..... OH NO!!!!!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I would be foolish to suggest that, even at a sub-conscious level, there hasn't been a flickering light of interest. There has. I even took a look online a while ago, but it I thought it best to take advice first. So here cometh the plunge...

I remember some of the games that cropped up in the 90s, they all seemed a little infantile and basic. Being a mad scholar of statistics and fair challenge, I felt that they weren't much of a task. If I was crap, I wanted my team performance to show it. I assume things have improved since then.

Do you feel that it is a real challenge, something that can really improve a persons logistical thinking ? (I'm guessing you probably do). If so how ?

Does the composition of the game, and the knowledge of players involved, reflect the real football world ?

I appreciate you have a life to lead, but if you get the chance, a little synopsis would be really helpful.

Righto, to answer your specific questions;

1) It can be as in-depth as you'd like it to be. If you want to form a team that plays tiki-taka from the back up then you can, if you want to try and forge a team full of 6"7 goliaths and bulldoze the opposition then you can give it a go. Comparing those different approaches would show a tangible difference in the manner your team plays (as well as how the AI tries to deal with you). For example, if you set up the team of goliaths with insane ability and have them play a long ball system then they should steamroll most opponents, however, a team set up to counter-attack whilst hanging onto the ball could cause you serious grief, even if they're fairly inferior to you. It is possible to do well by just buying the good players and sticking to 442 but if you start at the very bottom (which I do) you'd soon come unstuck.

2) There is a networking function but I'm afraid I don't know too much about it...someone else may be able to though...

3) Yes. The creators of the game (sigames) have just signed a deal to share their database with most of the PL teams (though Everton have done for a while) as they actually have the largest scouting network on the planet, composed mostly of fans of each club providing honest assessment of the players that they currently have. Their have been times when a talented youngster in the game has actually been pony in real life but, by the same token, it has a great track record of pointing of lesser-known talents that appear on the (real life) world stage a few seasons later.

Hopefully that helps....if there's anything else I'm sure the fellow addicts and I can provide an answer!

Edit; It's also a great game to play if you think you're likely to get interrupted a lot, I've got a 3 month old in the house and it's probably the only thing I can get into inbetween the feeds/crying/nappy changes/carnage.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Righto, to answer your specific questions;

1) It can be as in-depth as you'd like it to be. If you want to form a team that plays tiki-taka from the back up then you can, if you want to try and forge a team full of 6"7 goliaths and bulldoze the opposition then you can give it a go. Comparing those different approaches would show a tangible difference in the manner your team plays (as well as how the AI tries to deal with you). For example, if you set up the team of goliaths with insane ability and have them play a long ball system then they should steamroll most opponents, however, a team set up to counter-attack whilst hanging onto the ball could cause you serious grief, even if they're fairly inferior to you. It is possible to do well by just buying the good players and sticking to 442 but if you start at the very bottom (which I do) you'd soon come unstuck.

2) There is a networking function but I'm afraid I don't know too much about it...someone else may be able to though...

3) Yes. The creators of the game (sigames) have just signed a deal to share their database with most of the PL teams (though Everton have done for a while) as they actually have the largest scouting network on the planet, composed mostly of fans of each club providing honest assessment of the players that they currently have. Their have been times when a talented youngster in the game has actually been pony in real life but, by the same token, it has a great track record of pointing of lesser-known talents that appear on the (real life) world stage a few seasons later.

Hopefully that helps....if there's anything else I'm sure the fellow addicts and I can provide an answer!

Edit; It's also a great game to play if you think you're likely to get interrupted a lot, I've got a 3 month old in the house and it's probably the only thing I can get into inbetween the feeds/crying/nappy changes/carnage.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably spend a couple of days telling myself what a foolish enterprise I could be getting myself involved in.... then I'll go ahead and do it.

Very kind of you to spend time answering my questions. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for your help. I'll probably a couple of days telling myself what a foolish enterprise I could be getting myself involved in.... then I'll go ahead and do it.

Very kind of you to spend time answering my questions. Much appreciated.

No problem, I'm sure that others in this thread would say similar to me (and if they disagree I'm also pretty sure it'll get mentioned!).

As for the questions, I'm currently pinned in front of the PC (aforementioned 3 month old asleep on me and there's no way I'm moving now) so it really wasn't any bother :thumbsup:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Footballer Manager is vastly more realistic and re-playable than that yearly cash-cow: FIFA *insert year here*. It's database includes dozens of leagues from all around the world but what makes it so accurate is that there are multiple volunteers for every single one of the clubs who will fill out player's attributes, traits and personality to a really amazing degree of accuracy. There have been so many different players who have risen from being FM wonderkids to real life stars (see Lionel Messi and Vincent Kompany for starters) that football clubs have actually been known to use it for scouting.

In terms of gameplay and tactics, I don't think you'd find a more realistic simulator out there. Every formation you can think of can be created and your nous will be tested by choosing the right one to counter different sides. Teams can be instructed to play more fluidly or rigidly depending on your style. Creative freedom can be controlled and set pieces customised so you have everyone where you want them for corners/free kicks. Instructions can also be issued mid-game even. You think your team aren't closing the opposition down enough? Click the 'Hassle Opponents' button and watch as (hopefully) your side force them into mistakes and sloppier passing. Despite all these different ways of influencing the game, the true magic of FM's match simulator is that there is no secret formula for guaranteed success. Players will always make mistakes, miss chances or play badly, meaning that victory even with the strongest side is never truly certain.

The running of the club is also far in advance of any other game. The manager also has the duty to comply with FFP now so unlike FIFA where you just sign up players and that's that, if the club starts loosing money and the wage bill is out of order, points can be taken away and the club can go into administration. Player contracts are complicated, basic wages, appearance fees, goal bonuses, agent rates and so many other different things are part of the negotiations that you really do get a feel for how it is to be David Burke!

This is by no means a full explanation of the game, even a serial player like myself couldn't do it justice in the time available, so my best advice is to give it a go and see what you think :thumbsup:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Footballer Manager is vastly more realistic and re-playable than that yearly cash-cow: FIFA *insert year here*. It's database includes dozens of leagues from all around the world but what makes it so accurate is that there are multiple volunteers for every single one of the clubs who will fill out player's attributes, traits and personality to a really amazing degree of accuracy. There have been so many different players who have risen from being FM wonderkids to real life stars (see Lionel Messi and Vincent Kompany for starters) that football clubs have actually been known to use it for scouting.

In terms of gameplay and tactics, I don't think you'd find a more realistic simulator out there. Every formation you can think of can be created and your nous will be tested by choosing the right one to counter different sides. Teams can be instructed to play more fluidly or rigidly depending on your style. Creative freedom can be controlled and set pieces customised so you have everyone where you want them for corners/free kicks. Instructions can also be issued mid-game even. You think your team aren't closing the opposition down enough? Click the 'Hassle Opponents' button and watch as (hopefully) your side force them into mistakes and sloppier passing. Despite all these different ways of influencing the game, the true magic of FM's match simulator is that there is no secret formula for guaranteed success. Players will always make mistakes, miss chances or play badly, meaning that victory even with the strongest side is never truly certain.

The running of the club is also far in advance of any other game. The manager also has the duty to comply with FFP now so unlike FIFA where you just sign up players and that's that, if the club starts loosing money and the wage bill is out of order, points can be taken away and the club can go into administration. Player contracts are complicated, basic wages, appearance fees, goal bonuses, agent rates and so many other different things are part of the negotiations that you really do get a feel for how it is to be David Burke!

This is by no means a full explanation of the game, even a serial player like myself couldn't do it justice in the time available, so my best advice is to give it a go and see what you think :thumbsup:

You sod.

Your rather splendid and very helpful explanation seems to have pushed me over the edge.

Looks like some long winter evenings where dull television, and abject misery on return from a 1-0 defeat in some northern outpost, will be made glorious as my FM team gains a place in the FA Cup Quarter Final....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here