Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2 goals in 8 games

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
we did match the top team today
if only putting that round bouncy thing in the net was not so important
it's not just the finishing ( although has been poor)
lacking creativity too

We have no pace in the side either.

Does anyone know exactly why Lua Lua was put into a deep central role? He looked like a fish without water.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
This. The most shamefully inept performances and goals from a collection of strikers in any season of my 40+ years of watching the Albion, and that includes the Gillingham years! An utter shambles of a season Mr Bloom, this is one gamble you lost very badly.

Or got away with luckily

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It disappoints me that a good deal of the posters on NSC can't see that we have the makings of a decent team we are just lacking quality goal scorers. People come on the site making sweeping judgements of the whole team when the goals for and goals against stats tell the real story. There are many sides in this league who have shipped a lot more goals than us, the difference is they've scored a lot more too. You don't have to be Stephen Hawkin to work out what that means. If we had a decent striker or preferably two, this side would do well.

It goes beyond goal scorers, for a player to score a goal he needs another player capable of creating an opportunity and that's another area we've seriously lacked in this season.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
We'll do better next year, Poyet had an extra month to work with when he replaced Slade, Hughton had to pick up the pieces after Hyypia at the beginning of the Transfer window with a team he'd never worked with before. It's a miracle that the other teams have been so shit or we'd be spending next year back at square one, but I guess it's no different unless Hughton gets a stronger team together in the Summer.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Need a central midfielder who runs ahead of the ball too. Countless times there wasn't a third man run from midfield & no winger making penetrating runs into the box. Far too easy to defend against today.

That being said, IMHO O'Grady done well today. Never easy playing up on your own with very little support & he looked dangerous when they got the ball to him early in and around the box.

Totally agree. COG played the target man wonderfully well, shielding the ball, bringing others into the game and moving us up the pitch. He also had our best two chances.

I'm a COG fan, and if we persist with 1 up top we need better quality on the wings and coming from centre midfield. Jfc was never going to "get in behind" their defence.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
We lack creativity and pace........we are so slow moving the ball forward and have been for 2 or 3 seasons now. We need pace on the wings and through the middle and then finally a couple of quick strikers who know where the goal is!!!! We need midfielders to push forward quicker to support the striker or strikers instead of leaving them isolated. There is a lot of work to do this summer if we have any hope of a top half finish let alone a promotion push.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
To be up with a chance we need a twenty+ and a couple of ten+ a season goalscorers..Believe we have two on five and one on six.. Watford have Deeney on 21,ighalo on 20 and Vydra on 15...

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
We lack creativity and pace........we are so slow moving the ball forward and have been for 2 or 3 seasons now. We need pace on the wings and through the middle and then finally a couple of quick strikers who know where the goal is!!!! We need midfielders to push forward quicker to support the striker or strikers instead of leaving them isolated. There is a lot of work to do this summer if we have any hope of a top half finish let alone a promotion push.

We all know where the problems lie. Will we address them in the summer? We got lucky this season, we need major rebuilding.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
This season reminds of the one where MA first came in, had to make do with an average squad til the end of that season then built a squad virtually from scratch that close season.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I do think we have gone backwards under Hughton.

BUT he has to be allowed to sign his own players before you can truly judge him.

His management performance though puts Hyypia's into context. Dreadful squad that Hyypia lost his job for. Bet he loves Burke!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Can't only blame strikers, midfielders should chip in as well and even if it was Sanogo up front you'd expect better than 2/8 (incl own goal) from our entire team

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We'll do better next year, Poyet had an extra month to work with when he replaced Slade, Hughton had to pick up the pieces after Hyypia at the beginning of the Transfer window with a team he'd never worked with before. It's a miracle that the other teams have been so shit or we'd be spending next year back at square one, but I guess it's no different unless Hughton gets a stronger team together in the Summer.

I keep hearing how changing managers is one of the reasons for our problems on the pitch. Watford have had four managers this season. The problem is down to shit recruitment and an incompetent manager, the jury is still out on the current one for me too. The board need to up their game this close season and back the manager they have chosen both in the transfer market, by letting him chose the players and giving him the funds to buy Championship quality players. Two decent forwards being an absolute priority.

Last edited:

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
This. The most shamefully inept performances and goals from a collection of strikers in any season of my 40+ years of watching the Albion, and that includes the Gillingham years! An utter shambles of a season Mr Bloom, this is one gamble you lost very badly.

You must have started going around the same time as me and I completely agree with you. I've renewed, of course, but I'm so looking forward to a break for a few months. Normally, hate the close season but not this year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
2 goals in 8 games is an abnormally,almost FREAKISHLY low return. Can hardly fail to improve on that in the first 8 games of next season shirley?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
and 5 points out of a possible 24 which is very much relegation form. To be fair we got 22 goals in the previous 16 games I think. Conclusion: Extremely disappointing finish considering those green chutes. Don't even think about promotion next season. Mid table with signs of progress would be the best to realistically hope for.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We are depressingly poor! Can't see it being any better next year the playing side of this club is a f**king shambles! Still we have a lovely stadium and state of the art training facility shame we aren't using the latter yesterday a casing point our two alleged strikers CMS COG constantly were playing as wingers wth the penalty area bereft of any of our players Gomes was picking up tumbleweed at one point a complete tactical shambles!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
M
It disappoints me that a good deal of the posters on NSC can't see that we have the makings of a decent team we are just lacking quality goal scorers. People come on the site making sweeping judgements of the whole team when the goals for and goals against stats tell the real story. There are many sides in this league who have shipped a lot more goals than us, the difference is they've scored a lot more too. You don't have to be Stephen Hawkin to work out what that means. If we had a decent striker or preferably two, this side would do well.

I haven't checked the details, but I gather Watford have two strikers who have scored 20 goals ( Deeney and one other) and Vydra who has 15. If we had managed that this season, we would be in a very different position. With about 40 to 50 more goals?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here