Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] £2 cap on bus fares from October.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
It was a bit early in the morning but I’m sure the stagecoach bus driver said these £2 fares continue until October and then the scheme continues at £2.50 per journey

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
No, as this works both ways. Revenue inspectors are only interested in what you paid not where you are going, so using the old system of fares as an example (£1.70/£2.30/£2.80) someone asking for say Churchill Sq to Mile Oak might simply be issued a ticket to George St (the first stop in that fare bracket) If the passenger stays on to Mile Oak and has their ticket checked the inspector will say nothing.
So in answer to your question it is quite common for someone boarding a 12 in Brighton, asking for a £2 ticket to Eastbourne but only being issued a ticket to Saltdean (for example) as that is also £2
Don't think you quite understood. You say the driver issues a ticket for the first stop, but this is not happening in my case.
The driver is issuing tickets for the full journey so in your example he/she issues a ticket to the furthest stop, never the first stop. Using number 12 as an example, get on in Brighton and ask for Saltdean. Your ticket will show Eastbourne. Thus, are Brighton Buses claiming back the difference between £2 and the full fare to Eastbourne rather than the fare to Saltdean?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Don't think you quite understood. You say the driver issues a ticket for the first stop, but this is not happening in my case.
The driver is issuing tickets for the full journey so in your example he/she issues a ticket to the furthest stop, never the first stop. Using number 12 as an example, get on in Brighton and ask for Saltdean. Your ticket will show Eastbourne. Thus, are Brighton Buses claiming back the difference between £2 and the full fare to Eastbourne rather than the fare to Saltdean?
Fully understand, in a nutshell drivers will very rarely be destination specific (it’s a waste of time)
They will simply click on correct price for the journey. Bear in mind a number of passengers simply ask for “a £2 single” without stating a destination, some just leave two quid on the tray and grunt. To be honest, I probably think the government are just paying a token amount per journey in the same way they do for the over 65 passes where they get the same amount for going one stop or going from Brighton to Eastbourne. BTW it’s not very much, it’s certainly less than a quid.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Fully understand, in a nutshell drivers will very rarely be destination specific (it’s a waste of time)
They will simply click on correct price for the journey. Bear in mind a number of passengers simply ask for “a £2 single” without stating a destination, some just leave two quid on the tray and grunt. To be honest, I probably think the government are just paying a token amount per journey in the same way they do for the over 65 passes where the get the same amount for going one stop or going from Brighton to Eastbourne. BTW it’s not very much, it’s very much, it’s certainly less than a quid.
With you, understood.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here