Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] £2 cap on bus fares from October.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Brilliant idea if so.

Only downside is that the balance is going to be funded by my grandkids and great grandkids tax payments. But as a country, we're so horrendously broke, what's a few more millions or billions on the debt balance sheet going to do.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I know nothing about buses in Brighton but whenever the topic arises it always makes me think of this post by [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION] on the thread dedicated to memory of the late, great Ed Bassford, aka Lord Bracknell and Father of the Board. It remains one of my favourite ever NSC posts and as we approach the 5th anniversary of Ed's passing it feels appropriate to reproduce it here. (It even references cricket and real ale, for those who like that kind if thing). Enjoy...

Not long after I joined NSC I had been in Brighton for 3 years this was back in c2003. IIRC correctly it was pride weekend and I lived on Preston Park and wanted to find a country pub to escape the mayhem. So LB pops up and told me about a rambler bus which started at I cant remember where - Cuckmere I think which passed about 17 pubs and did an hourly loop. So it was intended for country walkers but myself and friends turned up got on the bus and a guy dropped us off at all the best ones picking us up hourly and telling us about the best ales. What a day it was all these people on the bus on and off and going for their walk lol and us lot using the drivers advice for whats the next best pub
There was a sign above the drivers seat saying Ed Bassford. I said do you know someone called Mr Bracknell and he laughed at me and said are you from NSC Thats me

He was so friendly and tolerant with us even let us have a game of cricket on his mini bus Top man in so many ways NSC will never be able to replace Ed.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If you use the app it's £ 5 for 24 hours.

I don't drive, so how much, in comparison would it cost to drive your car into Brighton and back, including parking?

I guess if you're simply getting a bus there and back (using the Mile Oak example), it will cost you £4 for the return journey (£2 each way) rather than £5.60.

Think I'd splurge on an extra quid and get travel all day, tbh.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you use the app it's £ 5 for 24 hours.

I don't drive, so how much, in comparison would it cost to drive your car into Brighton and back, including parking?

I only use the car to drive to the dentist in the centre of Brighton which parking is roughly £4 and as I have a lean burn car, hardly any petrol. It takes me 20 minutes to get into town via the seafront.

I tried it once on the bus and it took just short of 50 minutes to Churchill square and about 1 hour 10 minutes back after waiting for 20 minutes after I got to the stop.

No contest for me really

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Because I live in the centre of Hove, I took the plunge and went car-free over 15 years ago. I realised that I was mostly using it for short journeys, and the savings made on running costs/parking permits etc. have been vast, over the years, and it really was the best thing, for me.

I now walk/bus those short journeys and if I need to, I can always hire a car, although I have yet to do so. I know it's easy if you live centrally, but if you do, I can heartily recommend it as it's quite liberating.

Not only that, but I can have a few beers if I want, without worrying about it. :)

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Free short and medium distance train travel in Spain from September to December. One of the advantages of nationalised railways

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That could save me a pretty penny. Does it include Stagecoach? Probably not.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Is this definitely happening or was it just an idea being floated after the success of the cheap German train boom (and now Spain doing similar)?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Free short and medium distance train travel in Spain from September to December. One of the advantages of nationalised railways
. Paid for by a windfall tax on rising fuel prices.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's an easy give I suspect, outside cities hardly anyone uses them. Would be a LOT more expensive to do this on trains as other countries have done. But easier to give for them as they are publicly owned. Can't help agreeing with those that say we should never have privatised the trains. Not sure on buses though as not been on one for 30 years.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've a question regarding the subsidy. The 28/29 from Tunbridge Wells to Brighton is £2, a great price for the journey. But a friend catches the bus from Crowborough to Uckfield and returns, still £2 per journey, but the driver gives him a ticket marked Brighton and the return marked Tunbridge Wells.
Previously of course the journey Crowborough to Brighton would have cost more that Crowborough to Uckfield. Is the bus company claiming back the full higher fare thus scamming the government?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With the price of my weekly ticket gone up by £4 today, it is now cheaper for me to make every journey on this £2 deal.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I've a question regarding the subsidy. The 28/29 from Tunbridge Wells to Brighton is £2, a great price for the journey. But a friend catches the bus from Crowborough to Uckfield and returns, still £2 per journey, but the driver gives him a ticket marked Brighton and the return marked Tunbridge Wells.
Previously of course the journey Crowborough to Brighton would have cost more that Crowborough to Uckfield. Is the bus company claiming back the full higher fare thus scamming the government?
No, as this works both ways. Revenue inspectors are only interested in what you paid not where you are going, so using the old system of fares as an example (£1.70/£2.30/£2.80) someone asking for say Churchill Sq to Mile Oak might simply be issued a ticket to George St (the first stop in that fare bracket) If the passenger stays on to Mile Oak and has their ticket checked the inspector will say nothing.
So in answer to your question it is quite common for someone boarding a 12 in Brighton, asking for a £2 ticket to Eastbourne but only being issued a ticket to Saltdean (for example) as that is also £2

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
With the price of my weekly ticket gone up by £4 today, it is now cheaper for me to make every journey on this £2 deal.
I've dumped the train for a 10-15 minute longer and slightly more tedious bus ride which is saving me £40/week will probably get back on the train when it gets dark in the morning again though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here