Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] 1st time Easyjet

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Nothing wrong with Easyjet at all. Better than BA for short haul these days imo
Case under seat size is pretty small but if you’ve checked that will be fine
Boarding passes fine, but definitely worth having the app on your phone if you can as you can have them on there, and it also gives you real-time notifications with things like gate number, boarding and any delays.
90 mins is fine.
Yes, straight through security unless you’re checking in luggage
Coat - yes you can
You can take more cabin baggage on board BA Euroflyer, Easyjet incredibly strict with sizing in the cabin and will charge if an inch to big.
rather fly BA personally.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You can take more cabin baggage on board BA Euroflyer, Easyjet incredibly strict with sizing in the cabin and will charge if an inch to big.
rather fly BA personally.
I know, but you know that before you buy your ticket and act accordingly (or get charged for your big case and then go on social media saying how crap Easyjet are - hence a lot of the 'horror stories')

Don't know how many flights I've taken in the last few of years (at least 8-10 round trips a year post-covid) but had no issues with Easyjet on any of them (even the odd delay is well communicated). With BA - delays without much communication at times, flight time changes (and one terminal change), one complete cancellation, one change of plane to a leased heap of crap from somewhere (had booked in business but it didn't have business class, so we got 2 seats in a row of three with the middle one left empty - the comms said 'your service will be as booked' or similar). If it wasn't for the Avios/status (also still get treated a bit preferentially even though I'm tumbling down the tiers now) I'd use others where I could (incidentally just looking at flights for a trip next year - BA is coming in at almost 3 times the price of a broadly comparable alternative). When I started travelling extensively for work in the late 1990s BA were definitely the airline of choice. They have slipped so much since then imo, onboard and and in their general customer service.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thanks everyone. Just the stories you hear, in particular that Ryan Air couple who paid £130 to get a ticket printed. I saw a guy forcing a bag into the little metal frame at an airport in the summer and was a bit concerned about our bags. Both 'Easyjet ready' according to Amazon. But tape measure has come out. I'm taking a big coat, not to keep dry or warm but, as mentioned, to stuff the pockets.
Mind you, it's only 7 days in Athens, how much stuff does the wife need?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In know, but you know that before you buy your ticket and act accordingly (or get charged for your big case and then go on social media saying how crap Easyjet are - hence a lot of the 'horror stories')

Don't know how many flights I've taken in the last few of years (at least 8-10 round trips a year post-covid) but had no issues with Easyjet on any of them (even the odd delay is well communicated). With BA - delays without much communication at times, flight time changes (and one terminal change), one complete cancellation, one change of plane to a leased heap of crap from somewhere (had booked in business but it didn't have business class, so we got 2 seats in a row of three with the middle one left empty - the comms said 'your service will be as booked' or similar). If it wasn't for the Avios/status (also still get treated a bit preferentially even though I'm tumbling down the tiers now) I'd use others where I could (incidentally just looking at flights for a trip next year - BA is coming in at almost 3 times the price of a broadly comparable alternative). When I started travelling extensively for work in the late 1990s BA were definitely the airline of choice. They have slipped so much since then imo, onboard and and in their general customer service.
Yep l absolutely agree. As an ex BA employee of many years it is so sad to witness their demise.

Jul 7, 2003
Never had an issue with either BA or easyJet myself. I generally find BA seats more comfortable with the adjustable headrests. Not used the Swiss easyJet planes for a while but they had the really weird plastic seats which were hard work on the backside.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’ve flown EasyJet loads of times and find them absolutely fine. You won’t get a case under the seat, it has to go in the overhead locker.

For a while now the overhead lockers cost extra and the default free hand luggage allowance is called underseat luggage.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
EasyJet is fine.

Ryanair is the shite one.
I came here to say exactly this!

I went about 20 years between Ryanair flights when I went out of Luton in September. I think it's got worse in those two decades!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Air Lingus annoy me too. No seat pockets on my last flight (!), so nowhere to put phone, headphone case etc. Tsk!

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I came here to say exactly this!

I went about 20 years between Ryanair flights when I went out of Luton in September. I think it's got worse in those two decades!
Again, with Ryanair it's just about reading the rules. Sorta need to plan - if you don't need much, it's fine! If you think you need a small suitcase, book elsewhere (I guess). Tactical planning.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I know, but you know that before you buy your ticket and act accordingly (or get charged for your big case and then go on social media saying how crap Easyjet are - hence a lot of the 'horror stories')

So you mention a terminal change, well that’s not Gatwick is it, as only fly out of the south. EasyJet do not fly from Heathrow so unfair to compare. I’m sure you are relaying your experience on both Gatwick and Heathrow but just stick to BA Gatwick and you will find that EasyJet have more cancellation than delays over all.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Does this one not fit under the seat ?

Cabin Max Anode Carry on Suitcase 45x36x20cm Lightweight Hand Luggage Suitable for Easyjet Under Seat (Black)

I’ve just bought one for short trip to Hurghada at Christmas.
I'd recommend measuring it yourself. Amazon sellers have been known to edit the description without changing the product, catching people out when they get asked to put in in the cage.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Again, with Ryanair it's just about reading the rules. Sorta need to plan - if you don't need much, it's fine! If you think you need a small suitcase, book elsewhere (I guess). Tactical planning.
It was nothing to do with that more a complete failure of the check-in system for a big group and an inability of the staff to properly deal with it.

Then a seemingly random approach to seat upgrade prices. To the point where people refreshing their screens when trying to check in would get massive variations in prices quoted for the same seats on the plane. Absolute shambles!

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Then a seemingly random approach to seat upgrade prices. To the point where people refreshing their screens when trying to check in would get massive variations in prices quoted for the same seats on the plane. Absolute shambles!
Seat upgrades? On Ryanair or EJ? And you were in a bunch of people all stood together trying to upgrade before check in all doing the same thing and speaking about it? Prior to check in so none of you had checked in before getting there!? Makes zero sense

It's exit row or not an exit row, still the same class

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you mention a terminal change, well that’s not Gatwick is it, as only fly out of the south. EasyJet do not fly from Heathrow so unfair to compare. I’m sure you are relaying your experience on both Gatwick and Heathrow but just stick to BA Gatwick and you will find that EasyJet have more cancellation than delays over all.
It was the pisspoor communication around the change that was the disappointment.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
EasyJet usually fly out of North Terminal, I thought? We’re off to Athens tomorrow and it’s North. I used to fly to Munich and Zurich regularly and it was always South. Then it became north about 5(?) years ago. Not sure if that’s all their flights now or just the German/Swiss ones.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
EasyJet usually fly out of North Terminal, I thought? We’re off to Athens tomorrow and it’s North. I used to fly to Munich and Zurich regularly and it was always South. Then it became north about 5(?) years ago. Not sure if that’s all their flights now or just the German/Swiss ones.
Yes.... comment/reply was re BA who use Gatwick South (used to be North until they shrunk their services)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Seat upgrades? On Ryanair or EJ? And you were in a bunch of people all stood together trying to upgrade before check in all doing the same thing and speaking about it? Prior to check in so none of you had checked in before getting there!? Makes zero sense

It's exit row or not an exit row, still the same class
Yes, seat upgrades. On Ryanair. All of the seats in different parts of the plane had different prices if you wanted to 'upgrade' - exit rows, front of the plane, etc etc - online. These prices (for the same seats) went up and/or down when the page was refreshed. This was for the return journey, so people were trying to do it while we were all together on an event (up a castle in Poland, some of them, if you're REALLY interested!).

Before that, the system had a meltdown on the way out, which meant people couldn't check in online the day before (I was one of the lucky two or three out of a c.30 group who could). Then the people at the check-in desk took ages to sort it out and there was all sorts of confusion about the group booking and how to get everyone on the flight.

So, as I said originally, a shambles.

Make sense now? :shrug:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wait until you get the joys of flying Wizz …

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here