Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can't see much justification for such large increases, especially with no warning or explanation given. I certainly won't be purchasing much this season.

Not being told that there is a price increase doesn't necessarily follow that there isn't a justification for it. Suppliers have had to suffer price increases too.

I wish the club would make some sort of statement, mind.

Last edited:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Apologies if I'm just regurgitating that which has already been alluded to, but seems to me that this price-hike bombshell is led by Azure's ill-conceived 'Premium Match Day Dining' forecast(s) last season: ie f*** it up - so grab the lost dosh back this season from the captive rank & file. Whatever the reason, I for one am not prepared to spend my ill-gotten to any significant level this coming season (& FWIW it certainly sounds like I'll be one of many). Rip Off Britain becomes Rip Off Brighton. :glare:

southasp

Jan 24, 2009
portslade
Last season myself and a mate who both hold two 1901 profile lounge season tickets each,paid for four meals for every game up front for the whole season. As said by many others, the service and standard of food was sometimes shocking to say the least. Needless to say will not be taking up the offer again this season and it will be very interesting to see how many do.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well, it took a while, but insider has answered questions on Ask The Club regarding price increases, he also said he would make sure relevant people would be passed comments made in this thread.

Anyway, here is his response to the questions about price rises.

"Below shows the prices for last season, this season, and the increase (and none are 25%). With much-publicised fast-rising food costs at this time, the average increase across the board is less than 10%.

Homemade Steak and Ale Pie £3.50 £3.90 11.4%
Homemade Chicken and Ham Pie £3.50 £3.90 11.4%
Homemade Vegetarian Pie £3.50 £3.90 11.4%
Hotdog £3.50 £3.80 8.6%
Beefburger £4.00 £4.00 0.0%
Cheeseburger £4.20 £4.20 0.0%
Vegetarian Burger £4.00 £4.00 0.0%

Tea £1.80 £2.00 11.1%
White Coffee £1.80 £2.00 11.1%
Black Coffee £1.80 £2.00 11.1%
Hot Chocolate £1.80 £2.00 11.1%
Bovril £1.80 £2.00 11.1%

Chocolate Bars £1.00 £1.10 10.0%
Hanging Bags £2.50 £2.80 12.0%
Crisps £1.00 £1.10 10.0%

Harveys Real Ale £3.60 £3.90 8.3%
Fosters £3.60 £3.90 8.3%
Strongbow £3.80 £4.00 5.3%
Red Wine £3.80 £4.20 10.5%
White Wine £3.80 £4.20 10.5%
Rose Wine £3.80 £4.20 10.5%
Soft Drinks £2.00 £2.20 10.0%
Bottled Water £1.50 £1.60 6.7%

Pie and Pint Meal Deal £7.00 £7.50 7.1%"

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
Inflation in the food industry must be rampant! Pub I use in Lewes pre-match has near doubled its prices. Ham, egg, chips up from £4-50 to £8-50!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
No justification for those sort of rises. 11% on tea and coffee where the margin is already above 90%. And yes, pie and pint was 6.50 last season, shocking when the club doesn't even know it's own prices. Whole catering experience is a joke. Bring back the Withdean food trailers!!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Looking forward to using The Hikers Rest and The Swan pre match this season and arriving just before kick off instead of getting to the ground nice and early and spending my dosh there.

The most outrageous price hike of the lot, and one that was strangely not mentioned in that list above is the little plastic Fosters bottles, £3 up to £3.70!!!

No justification for those sort of rises. 11% on tea and coffee where the margin is already above 90%. And yes, pie and pint was 6.50 last season, shocking when the club doesn't even know it's own prices. Whole catering experience is a joke. Bring back the Withdean food trailers!!

Must have been £6.50, otherwise would have been cheaper to buy pie and pint separately.

New Pie and Pint deal still shows a small saving over individual products - just that individual prices have increased by 70p, but deal has increased by £1, i.e., only 5% saving on individual prices.

If 8.5% saving from last year were applied to new individual prices, then meal deal should be about £7.15.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is a piss take. And I just don't buy the idea that Azure are simply passing on supplier price hikes.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The Club & the caterers have bitten the collective hand that feed them: & will live to regret it IMO. I had a nasty feeling that the 'Community' part of the big new venture was just paying lip service to the supporters. :annoyed:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The Club & the caterers have bitten the collective hand that feed them: & will live to regret it IMO. I had a nasty feeling that the 'Community' part of the big new venture was just paying lip service to the supporters. :annoyed:

This kind of happened when Withdean was full to capacity in the early years there. It's not until attendances start to drop that the 'we're all in this together' starts to appear again and the club start responding to the fans again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Thing is though, there will still be queues big enough at half time that they won't be able to serve everybody that wants serving.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thing is though, there will still be queues big enough at half time that they won't be able to serve everybody that wants serving.

Well that's a given innit?! :lolol:

The words 'a fool & their money' immediately springs to mind. I can't see the average spend being as high as last year though, but that will probably only become apparent somewhere further down the line (as it were). I reckon there's a golden opportunity for a thriving black market on the pie & booze front, so if you'd like to PM me...

:whistle:

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So, the pie & pint deal has risen by 15% & the bottle of Fosters up by 23%. no wonder the revenue figures didn't add up last year if the numbers boys leave items out when it suits them & change the starting point for others thus massaging the message along the way

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well that's a given innit?! :lolol:

A fool & their money & all that. I can't see the average spend being as high as last year though, but that will probably only become apparent somewhere further down the line (as it were). I reckon there's a golden opportunity for a thriving black market on the pie & booze front, so if you'd like to PM me...

:whistle:

You ain't seen me, roight?

spiv_traders.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here