Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder how much money the club actually makes from the 1901 catering because it's outsourced (how long's the contract?) to Azure who presumably determine the prices, quality and quantity of food and service standards. This is where the problem lies because with most outsourced deals the coy makes it's money after the first year.

A cut of the £41 goes to the club. How much I do not know.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I wonder how much money the club actually makes from the 1901 catering because it's outsourced (how long's the contract?) to Azure who presumably determine the prices, quality and quantity of food and service standards. This is where the problem lies because with most outsourced deals the coy makes it's money after the first year.

The contract with Azure is for 5 years. It was reported as being worth £18M, but how accurate this figure was I have no idea. The catering contract covers all lounges and concourses, plus non-match day catering (for meetings, conferences, Christmas parties etc). It's difficult to say what proportion is down to 1901 club sales.

I believe if the actual catering income exceeds forecasts then the club get a further cut of those profits. Given the huge amounts of pies and pints sold last season, which seemed far in excess of expectations, it's reasonable to think that the club did indeed receive a big bonus payment from Azure.

Presumably the increase in capacity means Azure now pay an additional annual sum in addition to the original huge (if accurate) contract and any performance related payments. It's not inconceivable that we now rake in something approaching £5m per season from catering. I doubt Azure are allowed to set whatever price they want and I'm sure the club have a big say in standards too.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The contract with Azure is for 5 years. It was reported as being worth £18M, but how accurate this figure was I have no idea. The catering contract covers all lounges and concourses, plus non-match day catering (for meetings, conferences, Christmas parties etc). It's difficult to say what proportion is down to 1901 club sales.

I believe if the actual catering income exceeds forecasts then the club get a further cut of those profits. Given the huge amounts of pies and pints sold last season, which seemed far in excess of expectations, it's reasonable to think that the club did indeed receive a big bonus payment from Azure.

Presumably the increase in capacity means Azure now pay an additional annual sum in addition to the original huge (if accurate) contract and any performance related payments. It's not inconceivable that we now rake in something approaching £5m per season from catering. I doubt Azure are allowed to set whatever price they want and I'm sure the club have a big say in standards too.

5 years is about right for that type of contract but I hope the Albion does have a big say, or else a tight contract with get out clauses. Interesting that Albion is able to offer a 10% discount on concourse food/drink paid for using BHA cash card.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I believe it is 25%. Therefor when assessing Azures value for money one should really say is it value for £27.75 (£41 less 10% less 25%) ?

Would you think that is value? I don't, we ate out at a local pub this week, it was £52 for the pair of us, we had a 3 course meal (chosen from a menu), and a couple of glasses of wine (you don't get wine in 1901). Overall the food was better,the service spot on. They have got to either drastically up the quality of the offer, or reduce the price, I don't really know what else they can do to keep people coming back.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Seem all the moaning has paid off - just received an email saying that Azure have been sacked and temporary caterers have been installed with immediate effect!! Oh, and there was polite ask for a bit of patience this weekend as well.

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
See Below:

Since moving to the American Express Community Stadium in 2011, the Club's aim has been to provide our supporters, hospitality customers and visitors with the best possible experience, on and off the pitch.
As with any venue, catering represents a very important element of the experience we provide and we have made it a high priority both for our matches and for all other events at the stadium.
Listening to our customers, we work wherever it is possible and viable to do so with locally produced products and local suppliers, such as Piglet's Pantry for our pies and Harvey's of Lewes for our ale, while striving for the highest possible levels of service, quality, and value for money for our fans and customers at all times.

Since the stadium's opening, we have attempted to meet these very important aims by working closely with a catering partner, Azure. Despite our best efforts, many customers do not feel that these aims have been met. With this in mind, we have decided to engage new caterers.

As of today, the Club has appointed emergency caterers to provide catering services to supporters and hospitality customers for our forthcoming matches against Bolton Wanderers and Bristol City, and for the various events and other matches we are hosting here at the Amex leading up to and beyond Christmas. A formal tender process to replace Azure on a long term basis will commence in the New Year.

The Club and its emergency caterers will be working very hard to minimise any inconvenience to supporters, hospitality customers and visitors during this unexpected transition and working together we will be aiming to provide the best possible level of service and a full range of products – including the continued sale of fans' favourites Piglet's pies and Harvey's ale - until the end of the season after which time we expect to have our new long term catering contract in place.

Clearly, we would ask for your patience during the next few weeks while our emergency caterers familiarise themselves with our stadium, train staff, introduce new systems, get to know us and get to know you, our customers. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and for your continued support. It is much appreciated by everyone at the Club. I do hope you enjoy our forthcoming matches and the upcoming festive period.

Paul Barber
Chief Executive
Brighton & Hove Albion FC
HOME PAGE

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
see below:

Since moving to the american express community stadium in 2011, the club's aim has been to provide our supporters, hospitality customers and visitors with the best possible experience, on and off the pitch.
As with any venue, catering represents a very important element of the experience we provide and we have made it a high priority both for our matches and for all other events at the stadium.
Listening to our customers, we work wherever it is possible and viable to do so with locally produced products and local suppliers, such as piglet's pantry for our pies and harvey's of lewes for our ale, while striving for the highest possible levels of service, quality, and value for money for our fans and customers at all times.

Since the stadium's opening, we have attempted to meet these very important aims by working closely with a catering partner, azure. Despite our best efforts, many customers do not feel that these aims have been met. With this in mind, we have decided to engage new caterers.

As of today, the club has appointed emergency caterers to provide catering services to supporters and hospitality customers for our forthcoming matches against bolton wanderers and bristol city, and for the various events and other matches we are hosting here at the amex leading up to and beyond christmas. A formal tender process to replace azure on a long term basis will commence in the new year.

The club and its emergency caterers will be working very hard to minimise any inconvenience to supporters, hospitality customers and visitors during this unexpected transition and working together we will be aiming to provide the best possible level of service and a full range of products – including the continued sale of fans' favourites piglet's pies and harvey's ale - until the end of the season after which time we expect to have our new long term catering contract in place.

Clearly, we would ask for your patience during the next few weeks while our emergency caterers familiarise themselves with our stadium, train staff, introduce new systems, get to know us and get to know you, our customers. In the meantime, thank you for your patience and for your continued support. It is much appreciated by everyone at the club. I do hope you enjoy our forthcoming matches and the upcoming festive period.

Paul barber
chief executive
brighton & hove albion fc
home page

hiphip-----hooooooooooooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here