Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 catering price hike - justified?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
From the few games I ate at last season, I was never impressed with the food at all!

I'm surprised they signed a 5 year deal from the off, I'm sure bloom and the directors are aware of how poor the food is? Or do they bring a packed lunch?

100% needs to improve

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
All points to trying to reduce demand in all areas simply to make it easier for them to cope, as they know they are out of their depth, esp with 5,000 extra turning up all over the ground ready to dilute 'management' attention.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I ate in the BUPA lounge about 6 times last season and the food varied from appalling (Liverpool) to OK, nothing more. I can eat in one star Michelin restaurants on a fixed menu for less, where the service is impeccable and I don't get asked if I'd like my red wine is a winecooler :rolleyes:

The venue may justify a price hike the food and service certainly don't. Maybe it will be much better this season, we'll soon find out.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
My OP seems to have struck something of a chord and all the responses are fair and reasoned. Is this some way this thread could be sent to the club (eg Paul Rogers) as I would like to think they would be interested?

Clearly no point in talking to Azure but I think the Club genuinely want to get it right and having constructive feedback is the only way they can take action. If they don't then we know where we stand but I would prefer to think that they would respond psoitively.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
My OP seems to have struck something of a chord and all the responses are fair and reasoned. Is this some way this thread could be sent to the club (eg Paul Rogers) as I would like to think they would be interested?

Clearly no point in talking to Azure but I think the Club genuinely want to get it right and having constructive feedback is the only way they can take action. If they don't then we know where we stand but I would prefer to think that they would respond psoitively.

Azure's lack of dialogue with the fans has been a disgrace thus far. I can imagine people at the top within our board are not impressed.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Will have a meal 2-4 next season, however if a bottle of wine was included (as at Withdean) I would at least double the amount of games I would have a meal at.

Have to say the food at Withdean was much better value for money. Service was better although the Amex staff are more pleasing on the eye!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I had two meals in 1901 last season - when I already believed the pricing was too high. The Liverpool game was so bad they gave us our money back - the second against Southampton at New Year was reasonable but nothing more. I won't be booking meals there next season - even though we get 2-3 e-mails a week from Paul Rogers urging us to do so. The pricing stinks - and even to just buy drinks is a very expensive option, particularly when the club encourages you to stay on after matches and drink even more because the car park is a complete mess. A long way to go to get this part of the offer right, but I am very happy with the seat and the experience of the match itself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I, but I am very happy with the seat and the experience of the match itself.

I feel the same and this is the important thing, being able to get a decent meal would be the icing on the cake but we are not obliged to do it and the bar facilities and pies and coffee are more than adequate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A three course meal with pies at half time and cakes after the match drinks not included

No pies this coming season according to the email I received; tea, coffee and cake at half and full time. Shame.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I only had a pie twice last season as I think it is over priced and can manage to forgo eating for two hours

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think it's fair to compare last season's £38 with the real world. Football prices are always inflated (would you pay £40 for a shapeless shirt made of nylon under normal circumstances?) and to me £38 felt right in the context of corporate football catering. But, to have the price hiked by 8% is a kick in the teeth. As this increase is higher than inflation I cannot see any justification for this other than squeezing a few more quid out of us. This is very very disappointing and I feel I'm being taken for granted. Will I still eat there, of course.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Was over priced last year for the quality of food and service so hard to justify this unless both improve enormously.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
No pies this coming season according to the email I received; tea, coffee and cake at half and full time. Shame.

Yeah I noticed that. I think it's probably a mistake though.

This is from the latest email:

Platinum package includes:
(For Chelsea and all league matches)

Three-course meal with tea and coffee prior to the match
Half-time cakes with tea and coffee
Full-time cake with tea and coffee

But this is from the email on the 16th:

Platinum package includes:

Three-course meal prior to the match
Half- time tea, coffee and cake
Full time tea, coffee and pies

I think two courses of cake is excessive so I'm inclined to believe that pies will still be included.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Never paid for the food package in there, happy with the pies and pints, although they could do with more than one bar in the east stand. They did have two bars at one point and those people walking around selling beer but then got rid of them.

Wouldn't pay £41 for the dining experience, though. Seems excessive.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I see that Azure have increased the platinum package from £38 last year to £41 this year. An increase of 8%. If you are a 1901 member, do you think this is justified?

Whilst it got a little better as the season progressed, the standard of catering, service etc remained, in my and the opinion of other 1901 members that I know, at times quite woeful.

A statement acknowledging the shortcomings of last season and as a result there had been something of a shake up would have been much more welcome. To be honest if that was accompanied by words to the effect of ' as a result of our invsetigations we have concluded that the only way we can provide a satisfactory service and provide value for money is to increase the price' I would be a little mollified. But an increase to £41 for something that wasn't satisfactory before the increase and without any acknowldgement of the fact throughout, simply dents my faith in Azure even further.

You are all mugs in 1901,whats wrong with paying to watch a game of football and then going into town for a meal in a decent restaurant

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
My post doesn't seem to be there. Poor food and service last season and need to improve a lot to justify a price hike!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here