Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1901 amnesty.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not blaming the non-corporates, but i was trying to think of a way forward. From the very limited sample on here, it seems moving people to make a division and then tailoring the offering to the relevant group is a non starter. Got any ideas ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Amen to that. Footie was, iis, and always will be a predominantly working class game, and that being the case, what's wrong with eating a steak & gristle pie and drinking a mug of bovril as you watch the game from the terraces?

I've no time for the prawn sandwich brigade whatsoever.

So you STILL think, after all the discussions on here over the last couple of years, that 1901ers are the prawn sandwich brigade? Good to know you are able to feel yourself a better fan, even if you're not :shrug:

It may have passed you by but top level football is most certainly no longer a working class game

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not blaming the non-corporates, but i was trying to think of a way forward. From the very limited sample on here, it seems moving people to make a division and then tailoring the offering to the relevant group is a non starter. Got any ideas ?

In the first instance, deal with the principle issue - the perceived quality of the food compared to its cost to the customer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Footie was, iis, and always will be a predominantly working class game

Was? Yep.
Is? Nope, not any more. When some players are paid £10m pa, are you serious?
Always will be? See above.

If you had said "...was and I hope will return to being a....", I'd have agreed with you, but at the top end of the spectrum (and yes, I'd count BHA in that category for this discussion) it hasn't been predominantly working class since, roughly, Sky came around. Football in the PL and much of the Championship is now predominantly a middle class game with a sizeable minority of working class fans. Lower down the hierarchy I think it is still predominantly working class.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
So you STILL think, after all the discussions on here over the last couple of years, that 1901ers are the prawn sandwich brigade? Good to know you are able to feel yourself a better fan, even if you're not :shrug:

It may have passed you by but top level football is most certainly no longer a working class game

Whilst I completely agree with you I can understand the original posters gripe. We seem to spend more time on here discussing the price and quality of food than football.

It's also annoying that certain posters feel the need to mention they have 1901 tickets in near enough every thread they post on. Even HB&B has realised now that none of care or are impressed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In the first instance, deal with the principle issue - the perceived quality of the food compared to its cost to the customer.

Yep. The prices per se (especially after the e-cash 10% discount) are not outrageously high, BUT the quality (not quantity) needs to justify them. At present, it doesn't. It's actually a reasonably simple fix, although margins would be squeezed a bit. My guess, however, is that a few points less margin would be more than compensated for by significantly increased volume (which would itelf allow margins to increase as the fixed costs would be absorbed over more sales).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Amen to that. Footie was, iis, and always will be a predominantly working class game, and that being the case, what's wrong with eating a steak & gristle pie and drinking a mug of bovril as you watch the game from the terraces?

I've no time for the prawn sandwich brigade whatsoever.

Can you hear us from back there in the 70's? Football has moved on - no longer is it predominantly 'working class' - you get a mix of people going to games; kids, teenagers, families, lower class, upper class, businessmen and women...it's absolutely ridiculous to try and assert something which hasn't been the case for a number of years only because you don't want to move with the times.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep. The prices per se (especially after the e-cash 10% discount) are not outrageously high, BUT the quality (not quantity) needs to justify them. At present, it doesn't. It's actually a reasonably simple fix, although margins would be squeezed a bit. My guess, however, is that a few points less margin would be more than compensated for by significantly increased volume (which would itelf allow margins to increase as the fixed costs would be absorbed over more sales).

Therein lies the rub.

The caterers wish to stick religiously to their profit margin figures, irrespective of volume.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wow. I'm not a 1901 and what they do or don't care about doesn't affect me one iota. I wonder why this has got you so mad?

This.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Therein lies the rub.

The caterers wish to stick religiously to their profit margin figures, irrespective of volume.

Well then. The caterers don't have a sensible business plan. I imagine that larger volume commitment to their suppliers would attract greater savings. It doesn't require any huge discounts at point of sale just enough to keep the 1901ers quiet as end to end profit will improve.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Love a really good bitter rant even if I don't agree with it, and this one is top drawer.

Echo a lot of the sentiments, very bored of the catering moans in this area.

But I have already expressed my views on this before. If you are 'real' or 'proper' fans, go with the other 'real' or 'proper' fans and get cheap food - and make the 1901 a proper corporate area at £150 a head to help subsidise prices elsewhere. Give me a Sussex business phone directory and two decent telesales people and I'd sell that out in a month at that price. People in a premium facility moaning that it isn't cattle-class prices is ridiculous. If it isn't for you, don't go there.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But I have already expressed my views on this before. If you are 'real' or 'proper' fans, go with the other 'real' or 'proper' fans and get cheap food - and make the 1901 a proper corporate area at £150 a head to help subsidise prices elsewhere. Give me a Sussex business phone directory and two decent telesales people and I'd sell that out in a month at that price. People in a premium facility moaning that it isn't cattle-class prices is ridiculous. If it isn't for you, don't go there.

In the PL, yep. In the Championship? I very much doubt it.

Most 1901ers aren't complaining about the price, they're complaining that the quality doesn't justify the price. There's a big difference.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And make the 1901 a proper corporate area at £150 a head to help subsidise prices elsewhere. Give me a Sussex business phone directory and two decent telesales people and I'd sell that out in a month at that price.

You'd get half a million quid in each game? crikey, it's Barber you should be speaking to, not us :bowdown:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Do I also have to give up my parking space and half way line seats?

If it is all the same with the OP I'll stay where I am happily thanks. You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In the PL, yep. In the Championship? I very much doubt it.

Most 1901ers aren't complaining about the price, they're complaining that the quality doesn't justify the price. There's a big difference.

You can't have it both ways. We get all this stuff that prices are so high because we are in an affluent part of the country, that's why ours are so much higher than most Championship clubs, and on a par with many Premier League clubs. Fine, okay then, got that. So let's not be shy of charging the relevant rate to Sussex businesses.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You can't have it both ways. We get all this stuff that prices are so high because we are in an affluent part of the country, that's why ours are so much higher than most Championship clubs, and on a par with many Premier League clubs. Fine, okay then, got that. So let's not be shy of charging the relevant rate to Sussex businesses.

You misunderstand my point. I don't think that £150/game is a relevant rate for Championship football anywhere in the country, including the affluent South East. It certainly is for PL football though. Currently, 1901ers pay £58/game (half-way line) or £44/game (further out), both assuming two home cup games. That seems about right for top quality seating all the time we're in the Championship to me.

s e boy1968

Nov 9, 2010
Hilarious debate.
So on a fans forum some posters are complaining about some topics?? don't read them , simples.
As for the 1901 'idiot's' comment it's quite ironic given that those 'idiot's' are supporting the club in a way that ultimately subsidises the season ticket prices in other stands allowing those people to sit in an environment like the North Stand, where many 1901 members were 20-30 years ago...hey but we're all idiots!!

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I love it in 1901 , if I don't like the food or price of the food I don't have it ! there was only a few moaners on here about the quality/prices , I think the OP has gone well over the top , is he trying to wind us up ? percentage wise there are more moaners on here about the concourses in the other areas then there will ever be in 1901 . But why would I write about them ? it's their problem , pathetic !

Most corporates who eat in 1901 wouldn't even be on NSC .

Saying that I am sure they will up the prices substantially when the 5 years are up :( , can I moan about that ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You misunderstand my point. I don't think that £150/game is a relevant rate for Championship football anywhere in the country, including the affluent South East. It certainly is for PL football though. Currently, 1901ers pay £58/game (half-way line) or £44/game (further out), both assuming two home cup games. That seems about right for top quality seating all the time we're in the Championship to me.

There are 15 clubs in this division who charge more than £150* for a premium match ticket/hospitality meal matchday package, five clubs charge more than £240, one is £300. Furthemore, there are only 3 clubs that charge less than our cheapest match ticket/meal option which is around £55.00.

* the top 1901 match & meal option is around £150.

** prices shown include VAT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here