Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 16th best Premier League stadium?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club are nothing if not shrewd. All that 'free' stuff will be factored into the ticket price down to the nearest penny. As to whether they care or not, their continued silence on transport matters is deafening - and speaks volumes

And park n ride is fully within the club’s control, it’s their baby. For Mill Road both legs they could hire in more buses/coaches. The club’s annual income must now be approaching £200m, currently profitable due to Starlizard’s algorithms (thank you TB), I wonder if the Mill Road service could be tweaked?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
At some other grounds such as Anfield or Molyneux, you leave at final whistle and have an immediate feeling that you’re heading home whatever direction you take. Everyone off 360. The same as the Goldstone.

Whilst at 19+ visits to the Amex each season, if you stay until final whistle, involve vast and slow queues at pinch-points.

Most supporters aren’t into alcohol in a breeze block concourse from a plastic beaker, they just want to get home.

I dont agree with that, ive been to goodison and Anfield 5 times in total and each time it has been a slog getting back to the ground, you certainly cant walk 360 out of the ground and expect to make your way home. I do understand it will come down to each persons experience of any given game, but I don't find it particularly necessarily better that I can walk away from the ground, anyone could choose to do the same at the Amex and jump on a bus somewhere on the way to town. However not having to home games from outside the local area of Brighton and Hove I concede it may be worse for those.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The club are nothing if not shrewd. All that 'free' stuff will be factored into the ticket price down to the nearest penny. As to whether they care or not, their continued silence on transport matters is deafening - and speaks volumes. Maybe if they sent board members out at post-match half-hourly intervals to sample the transport options for themselves, they'd educate themselves as to why people are not best pleased
If we didn't have the travel subsidy I very much doubt we'd have lower prices. I've been to Q&A's with Paul Barber and he was asked directly about these topics and in a forceful manner and his answer was that the club will concentrate on things they have control over. The trains for example are not within the club's control.

As for the Park and ride, as I understand it the stewarding could possibly be improved (I'll leave that to those who use the service to comment with more insight than I can offer), yet there is a national shortage of both vehicles and drivers for the buses so I'd imagine more are unlikely to be forthcoming in the near future.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I dont agree with that, ive been to goodison and Anfield 5 times in total and each time it has been a slog getting back to the ground, you certainly cant walk 360 out of the ground and expect to make your way home. I do understand it will come down to each persons experience of any given game, but I don't find it particularly necessarily better that I can walk away from the ground, anyone could choose to do the same at the Amex and jump on a bus somewhere on the way to town. However not having to home games from outside the local area of Brighton and Hove I concede it may be worse for those.

I'm referring to all fans, surrounded by the suburbs or parking in any direction, folk literally head off in any direction that suits their plans. That's the nature of an urban stadium surrounded by the city. The walk downhill to Lime Street or city centre hotels is easy and I'm not a 10st jogger.

I wasn't the only one, on NSC Liverpool trip threads, I'm sure plenty of others opted for the walk.

Getting to Anfield, we found buses aplenty or cheap as chips taxis .... once we hit congestion we got out there ... about two blocks from Walton Breck Road.

If you use trains, genuinely, next time give the walk to Lime Street a go.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Suspect The Amex stadium design score has taken a hit as most journos are unhappy with being moved to make way for The Tunnel Club. Am led to believe jounos facilities are now not as good as they used to be for the same reason.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I normally stay behind for around an hour after the game and the area is clear which I think is more than reasonable.
Fine if you live in Brighton - a big percentage of our support doesn't - if you wait around for an hour, and then drive any distance, it's a pretty late night for a midweek game.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We currently have free train travel, free bus travel and park & ride sites. It's nonsense to say the club no longer doesn't care. They control what they can control. As far as I am aware we do more than most.
I think the tavel is included, rather than free.

My point is that I think the club could do more re transport - communication etc. re trains / P& R (just how slow are the busses to load BTW)

My take is that all the time we're sold out they don't really care - as I say, just my take on it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm sorry but they lost all credibility when they put the London Stadium in 10th place.
If that's the case, laughable article. Zero atmosphere and shit view. Also, Molineux is an absolute dump.

Apparently, the Amex is a bit rubbish because it's too small behind the goals. Might be a point. Limited refreshment beyond the club facilities which 'tend to be expensive and don't provide shelter from the weather". Yeh, those famously open concourses where the beer is cheaper than a pint in town.

Aside from travel being a pain sometimes (although being forced to use public transport probably shouldn't be considered a bad thing in 2023), I think I'll dwell more on all the awards the place has won.

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Suspect The Amex stadium design score has taken a hit as most journos are unhappy with being moved to make way for The Tunnel Club. Am led to believe jounos facilities are now not as good as they used to be for the same reason.
Good call. Bumped out for the Scotch Egg Brigade. Less leg room and space for laptops it was reported on here by one of the journalists.

The trains are increasingly shit. The park and ride is very much in the clubs control. It is very disappointing that 12 years on there's nowhere to queue without getting drenched.

At least with Edf and Pyecombe getting some use this year which is a really positive step but it really needs to be permanent to take the strain off Mill Road

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Selfishly, The Amex is higher than 16th for me, I have no complaints about the travel and find it quite easy to get back to Bishopstone from Falmer via train. Even when I lived in Hove it wasn't too bad getting back into Brighton, then hopping straight on the number 6 bus. I rarely leave early and depart straight after the final whistle. Sometimes I have to wait 30mins at the most for the train to Seaford, but that's perfectly acceptable to me.
I used to always leave early when I was in the car park, but since I have been denied a car park place (used to have a car park C season ticket) and have been rescued by a season ticket saving intervention, the nature of which I will reveal only when I give up my season ticket and become a couch potato, my Amex experience has been resurrected. I absolutely would not do it if I had to go by train or park and ride. For that reason, I'm with @Weststander.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Just to add to your travel misery, the Lewes Road southbound is down to 1 lane near the University of Brighton in Moulsecoomb for road repairs. The queues back up this evening were lengthy (unless you're on a bike). I predict it will back up all the way to the Amex after a game. I'll probably be walking home after the Fulham game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I used to always leave early when I was in the car park, but since I have been denied a car park place (used to have a car park C season ticket) and have been rescued by a season ticket saving intervention, the nature of which I will reveal only when I give up my season ticket and become a couch potato, my Amex experience has been resurrected. I absolutely would not do it if I had to go by train or park and ride. For that reason, I'm with @Weststander.

You’re alright Jack :mad:. Whilst everyone else sits bumper to bumper in the Bridge Car Park for hours, you’re enjoying canapés in the warm at @Hugo Rune’s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You’re alright Jack :mad:. Whilst everyone else sits bumper to bumper in the Bridge Car Park for hours, you’re enjoying canapés in the warm at xxxxxxx
I have made a genuine effort. Something something something, Ford Prefect said in Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy about having made a genuine attempt.

Anyway, how did you know about that? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just to add to your travel misery, the Lewes Road southbound is down to 1 lane near the University of Brighton in Moulsecoomb for road repairs. The queues back up this evening were lengthy (unless you're on a bike). I predict it will back up all the way to the Amex after a game. I'll probably be walking home after the Fulham game.
I would add that this is part of a bigger picture, that Britain is currently f***ed and heading towards increasing fuckery. Some say it is all down to the selfish striking doctors and nurses. I have a suspicion it may be down to something else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here