Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

16 Things we learnt from Last Night

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Thanks Jem, I'm not good enough at collating stuff off the internet to see all this, your work is valued up here!

On point 3, Hughton's comment looked modest to me. The big difference last night for me was that players were playing with more verve, less risk-averse, more flair and graft, they looked happier, more like a team, and most importantly playing to their potential - last season, and to some extent previously too we were not seeing the full talents of all our players and thankfully that seems to have changed a little now. Can only be the effect of a much better manager.

Big plusses Friday too were Hemed and Bong - and Kaz - for half last season he was not firing on all cylinders, I was concerned... but he was on fire yesterday. Kayal is - sorry GG - a future captain, tbh he's always looked it.

Great to read the Forest supporter threads saying what a disgrace, BHA are a sh!t side, yeah right, I love it!

We might not go up but this will be a good season, Well done the club, well done the manager, well done the squad and well done the fans, nice atmos Friday.

Happier than in a long while.

M

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The honesty flags thing is a fantastic idea and is a nice little touch to make the Amex more colourful - top marks to the club/ SWC people who I think helped this happen. One question, why does it say 'sign' the flag on the box? Is there a signing out book for flags?!

I agree, great idea! There were not any in the WSU though was there?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree, great idea! There were not any in the WSU though was there?

Nope maybe we can get some so you and your Chinese cycling partner can wave them ;)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Ha!! That was my only home game till December mate :(

Oh balls didn't get a chance to chat properly - will do when I see u next. Is that still your season ticket mate?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Oh balls didn't get a chance to chat properly - will do when I see u next. Is that still your season ticket mate?

Still my seat yeah, Mendoza has paid for it for this season though. Will be back for Midds and Ipswich games in December :)

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
That's a good start here's an alternative view,

1. We essentially are playing the same set of players as last season
2. Forest looked particularly poor last night, yet we still on three occasions nearly gifted them a goal
3. We could have scored five goals, but failed to take our chances
4. We went to sleep for 15 minutes in the second half'
5. Lua Lua still can't cross the ball and he's classified as a winger
6. Sam Baldock needs to convince still, he maintains an elusive presence on the pitch
7. Catering in the 1901 Club still poor, no Harveys available at one bar!
8. Left the match very happy at the three points, but not yet convinced with the performance.

9. Bong looked good, has a great cross on him, his overlap hardly used
10. Solly a great prospect, but time to turn potential into real
11. Stockdale kept us in the game and one particular kick had suoer vision.
12. Seeing my old mates again
13. Bobby Zamora
14. A little more steel in the midfield
15. Easy to get out of car park
16. Three points to start, a home win and we went home happier than last season

We need to have a look at our opposition to guage where we stand in the Championship.
Hughton is being asked to play with essentially the same squad/team as last season. I'm overjoyed
at the win, but have a slight suspicion that we have been sold the emperors new clothes, in terms
of our summer signings.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That's a good start here's an alternative view,

1. We essentially are playing the same set of players as last season
Hughton is being asked to play with essentially the same squad/team as last season. I'm overjoyed
at the win, but have a slight suspicion that we have been sold the emperors new clothes, in terms
of our summer signings. [/SIZE]

Yep. Hard to know what sort of season Forest will have or how much of a threat they really were.

Only 4 of the first 11 v Sheff Weds in 2014, only 2 of last seasons 11 signings and only 5 of the last match against Middlesbrough started on Friday . And the club have been surprisingly open about
saying that Hughton hasn't finished his summer business yet with cover for centre backs, wingers, creative mids still to come. So he's not being asked to play with essentially the same squad. He's been given a pretty healthy budget to rebuild it. It won't be the same set of players and they won't be playing the same way.
Whether they turn out to be better ? Well We've only Friday and Sevilla to go on but positive so far.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Only 4 of the first 11 v Sheff Weds in 2014, only 2 of last seasons 11 signings .

I'm not arguing against your general point, but those are slightly false statistics. Of the side who faced Sheff Wed...

Hughes started instead of Dunk
Crofts started but was not match fit for Friday
Fenelon started against Sheff Wed on the back of a decent pre-season but was never likely to be a long-term thing (Baldock had not even arrived)

Of the eleven that started again Sheff Wed, nine were in Hughton's squad on Friday night with the missing two being Fenelon and Crofts. Crofts would have also been in the squad if fit.

Again, against 'boro we did things like start Walton with Stockdale on the bench, play Halford who we chose not to retain and we had loanee Joe Bennett. This season's PL loan(s) won't be arriving for another week or two.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Missed these

re point 1) "Lets never mention 2014/15 again…" - that lasted all of two lines

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not arguing against your general point, but those are slightly false statistics. Of the side who faced Sheff Wed...

Hughes started instead of Dunk
Crofts started but was not match fit for Friday
Fenelon started against Sheff Wed on the back of a decent pre-season but was never likely to be a long-term thing (Baldock had not even arrived)

Of the eleven that started again Sheff Wed, nine were in Hughton's squad on Friday night with the missing two being Fenelon and Crofts. Crofts would have also been in the squad if fit.

Again, against 'boro we did things like start Walton with Stockdale on the bench, play Halford who we chose not to retain and we had loanee Joe Bennett. This season's PL loan(s) won't be arriving for another week or two.

The wonder of stats! Agreed. Still it not quite true for OP to say that Hughton has the same set of players as Hyppia during first half of 2014/15. Kayal, Bong, Rosenior, Zamora, Hemed, Baldock, Crofts, March, Stephens are either new or fit, likely to be first team squad regulars and largely unavailable or injured for most/some of last season. And i suspect at least 3 more to come...but yep still core of squad remains although even some of those might (?) not be here at end of window.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
это написано Павлом парикмахеров собачку и первоначально появился в правде
eto napisano Pavlom parikmakherov sobachku i pervonachal'no poyavilsya v pravde
Best POST you've ever WRITTEN Ern...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think number 12 raises some questions.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/13582722.Hughton_s_words_inspired_LuaLua/
LuaLua said: “The right-back got a yellow card early so the gaffer said to me ‘Every time you get the ball keep going and hopefully your chance will come’.

“There was only one thing on my mind. I was trying to take him on and then shoot.​

This has bugged me for several seasons - we have never really run at the defensive players on yellow cards. Why has it taken this long? Why does Kaz need to be told to run at a full back who is on a yellow card? Why have none of our previous three managers noticed this hasn't really happened and addressed it sooner? It seems like such a basic thing. Other than the infamous game with Dan Harding being substituted in the first half, I can't remember us really going for a defender who is walking a disciplinary tightrope.

I hope this is a sign of things to come and isn't something our wingers forget to do, and our manager stops encouraging.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here