Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

143rd Open Championship

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Bit of a wobble in the last few holes - the overnight lead has halved already.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Rory needs to get a couple of pars just to calm him down a bit. He's not done much wrong though. Garcia will wobble sooner or later though.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Garcia has surely blown any chance he may have had with that first bunker shot.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
18 handicapper stuff from Garcia there, I'd have fancied that shot:lol: Rory's to lose now, 3 pars to win.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Not the first time Garcia has bottled it in the last few holes of a major. Probably the 5th or 6th time, clearly has a problem with his ******** when the pressure is really on and he has had a lot of brakes as well.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Get in Rory:clap: Never in doubt....well maybe a bit. Time to visit BWin to collect:clap:

Hope a few others were on too.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Its Open Championship time again and this time they rock up to Royal Liverpool Golf Course at Hoylake - http://www.theopen.com/en/TheCourse.aspx. Tiger hosed up when it was last here in 2006 but life hasn't been too good for him since then with a series of injuries and his slight indiscretions. The weather looks like it will play a part with benign conditions on Thursday being replaced by 14mph winds on Friday so it looks like a quick start is in order. Tee times are here - http://scores.theopen.com/en/TeeTimes.aspx

I have had four ante post bets so far and will leave it at that...for now.

Rory McIlroy
- backed him last August when he was in a slump and got 28/1 as I thought that his slump was a short term thing with class being permanent and form temporary. He's still inconsistent which he showed last week shooting a course record on day one and 14 more on day 2 but the had a solid weekend and the practice on the links course is all good. Wouldn't put anyone off the 18/1 now.

Zach Johnson - backed him in January at 80/1 when he was in good form in the States, winning once with two more top 10s. He's tailed off a bit since then but stormed back into form this weekend by finishing second in the John Deere, finding his form at the right time. He's been 9th and 6th in the last two open's so he travels well. This course will suit him down to the ground with his dead straight driving - he ranks 6th for accuracy this season on the PGA Tour. 50/1 now is very backable.

Adam Scott - backed him in March at 18/1, a price he's still available at. Ranked number one in the world at the moment and has been consistent for a couple of years now. He handed Ernie Els the Open two years ago after blowing a 4 shot lead but learned from the experience and nailed The Masters in 2013 and also finished 3rd in The Open and 5th in the USPGA. He was 8th here in 2006 so will have good memories of the course. Its hard to imagine him not contending.

Angel Cabrera - last but certainly not least, I backed him at 160 and each way at 125/1 in June when he was showing signs of coming back to form. His price has subsequently collapsed following a win in the Greenbriar Classic two weeks ago. He was 7th here in 2006 and 11th in last years Open. He's an enigma but if his driving is working he'll contend here as his short game is brilliant. 75/1 still looks value to me.

So thats my 4 and there are plenty of dangers. Justin Rose is in great form but his price looks very short now considering his record in The Open is very poor. He was 4th as an amateur but has missed 3 out of the last 4 cuts. Phil Mickelson hasn't found last years form and its very hard to defend a major title. Henrik Stenson has gone 33 majors without a win but has had three top 3 finishes in The Open in the last 6 years. Martin Kaymer has found form again but his record in The Open is poor so far. Couldn't back Tiger with counterfeit despite his win here in 2006 as this is a very different Tiger now. Sergio Garcia has played in 63 majors without winning one, Lee Westwood's form has deserted himand 65 majors without a win says it all, Ian Poulter has played 46 majors without a win but has 3 top 10 finishes in The Open but missed the cut last week, Luke Donald is another with a major duck after 44 events and whilst the course should suit him he has plenty of chances to get over the line but hasn't yet.

Really looking forward to the weeks golf and would love to be there but will settle for watching the action on the telly. However, I am going to St Andrews next year for the 144th Open:cool:

So who do you fancy to lift the claret jug this week?

Couldya yah see yahway tee lending uz a few bob. I'll be expecting a postal order from my aunt Aggie in Glasgoo shortly and I'll pay yee back then the noo. xxx

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Had Schwartzal, Karlsson and Kirk each way, and although they didnt get placed, they were all good priced eachways that gave me a good run.
Rory was brilliant, the course was ideal for him with the 4 par 5s, but you still have to hit them straight. When he didnt, he copped a few good walkway lies, and the two tee start assisted him yesterday.
But a worthy winner

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
A friend of mine is a regular golf punter and we have put in £30 each and backed the following:

Adam Scott £7.50 e/w @ 16/1
Rickie Fowler £5 e/w @ 40/1
Hideki Matsuyama £7.50 e/w @ 60/1
Angel Cabrera £5 e/w @ 66/1
Stephen Gallacher £3 e/w @ 80/1
Matteo Manassero £2 e/w @ 135/1

Laid out £30 and got a return of £46.25. Good entertainment over the four days and a bit of a profit too.

Well played Rory.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fair play to Rory, the best player over the week won. But everything fell right for him. From the tee off times Thurs & Fri, the two tee start yesterday, the lack of wind and the course set up....All that said he still went out and got the job done. St Andrews should also be right up his street. But I can never see him winning an Open at Muirfield, Carnoustie, or Royal St George's. They are different animals completely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here