Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

14-year-old girl who died of cancer wins right to be cryogenically frozen

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Seems pointless to me and you get 1000's of young people that die each week in the world...weird
Does this mean that any child who isn't ready will be frozen?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then you'd better hope your standing orders are up-to-date! And your bank's not gone bust, and inflation hasn't priced you out, etc.

They won't get any more reward by successfully defrosting you, than by switching you off (and saving on electricity).
Well that's not true is it. If the company is based on freezing people and then bringing them back to life, no one is going to spend money if they never try to bring anyone back. They'd also get good publicity if able to do it.

If/when the technique has been perfected and proven, they'll be more interested in new customers who will pay a lot more.
And who will it have been perfected and proven on? That's right, the people that were already frozen.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah I can. It's blindingly obvious that they're not going to keep people frozen for over a million years before attempting to bring them back to life.
No it isn't. Nothing about future human progress is 'obvious' at all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Personally I would be uncomfortable knowing my 14 year old is in a freezing facility somewhere , I find it disturbing. And that at some point in the future she could possibly be returned to the world with no parents or loved ones to look out for her.
The whole thing is wrong and the judge should have called a halt to this very early on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No it isn't. Nothing about future human progress is 'obvious' at all.
Sure it is. In the future, we'll all die. In the future, new ways will be discovered to enable people to live longer. If it becomes possible to bring people back to life after unfreezing them, they'll be unfrozen in a lot less than 1 million years from the date they were frozen.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I would be uncomfortable knowing my 14 year old is in a freezing facility somewhere , I find it disturbing.
Yes, that can't be an easy thing for a parent. However, as a parent I'd imagine you were happy that your 14 year old had some hope in her last months.

And that at some point in the future she could possibly be returned to the world with no parents or loved ones to look out for her.
The girl new that, and she chose to accept it.

The whole thing is wrong and the judge should have called a halt to this very early on.
The judge took into account the wishes of the girl who was dying, and her wishes should trump her parents wishes (although I imagine her mum supported her choice).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sure it is. In the future, we'll all die. In the future, new ways will be discovered to enable people to live longer. If it becomes possible to bring people back to life after unfreezing them, they'll be unfrozen in a lot less than 1 million years from the date they were frozen.
It might be less than a million years. But (and I'll use your words here) it's 'blindingly obvious' that when she is unfrozen someone will say "21st century, what a primitive! Were they the ones who lived with the neanderthals?"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it's 'blindingly obvious' that when she is unfrozen someone will say "21st century, what a primitive! Were they the ones who lived with the neanderthals?"
Right, so you're saying that in the future, there will still be some really ****ing stupid people about. I agree with you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here