Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

14-year-old girl who died of cancer wins right to be cryogenically frozen

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
its a lot less than 1% chance. right now its a 0% chance as it's not known it would ever be possible. its an assumption that, given we've done so well at medicine that past 50 years or so, we might be able to do something at an indeterminate point in the future. reality is it may never be possible to regenerate a dead brain, we dont even know how or what happens to the brain in death. we struggle to understand the mechanics in living.

Well, quite. And yet.... my grandmother was born before the Wright brothers flew...and died having witnessed man on the moon, rovers on Mars, the eradication of Smallpox, heart transplants etc. The rate of progress in the scientific, technological and engineering disciplines in the last century has been simply stunning, and, in most areas, the pace of change is accelerating still. So, imo, it's not impossible that at some point it may, just may, be possible to revive a cryogenically frozen body. It wouldn't be a choice I'd make, but I can see why someone might take that chance - after all, given the alternative, what's there to lose if you have the money?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
With a billion people frozen, the future generations will understandably decide they can't afford to bring us all back to life, so they'll switch the machines off.

Indeed. Why will future generations want to unfreeze (relatively) early humans? For experimentation? Or maybe she'll end up as a tasty live snack for the supermice who rule the world in the future having replaced Homo Sapiens

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. Why will future generations want to unfreeze (relatively) early humans?
Er, we're not (even relatively) early humans!

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
its a lot less than 1% chance. right now its a 0% chance as it's not known it would ever be possible. its an assumption that, given we've done so well at medicine that past 50 years or so, we might be able to do something at an indeterminate point in the future. reality is it may never be possible to regenerate a dead brain, we dont even know how or what happens to the brain in death. we struggle to understand the mechanics in living.

What about Austin powers though. he turned out alright.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
More like The Returned.

Expect at some point medical science will progress to the necessary point to make it possible. A Professor of something or other from Oxbridge on the Beeb this morning was talking about transplanting brains, keeping them active and healthy in storage then possibly moving them into new bodies. Mind boggling...

There is a doctor/surgeon/mad professor out there currently talking about an imminent human head transplant and there is a patient already available.

Interesting coffee time read http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...s-mans-life-by-transplanting-his-head/492755/

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Poor girl. That's no age.

However in order to bring someone back from cryogenic stasis you first have to solve the problem of bringing people back from the dead, then cure cancer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, quite. And yet.... my grandmother was born before the Wright brothers flew...and died having witnessed man on the moon, rovers on Mars, the eradication of Smallpox, heart transplants etc. The rate of progress in the scientific, technological and engineering disciplines in the last century has been simply stunning, and, in most areas, the pace of change is accelerating still.

accept all that. on this particular area we have the problem that we have no idea how things work. with rocket science, vaccination, transplants, we at least understood the basics, just not the methods of implementation. we dont have a clue how to even ensure we are preserving the body in the right way, or how cognitive functions emerge from the physics and chemistry. reviving a body is one thing, reviving a frozen brain is another.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think we need to evolve and start implementing Euthanasia before we start dicking about freezing people.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Get the tissues out.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...r-preservation-after-death-agreed-to-by-court

Known only as JS, she sent a letter to the court: “I have been asked to explain why I want this unusual thing done. I’m only 14 years old and I don’t want to die, but I know I am going to. I think being cryo‐preserved gives me a chance to be cured and woken up, even in hundreds of years’ time.
Dying is the last thing anyone wants to do – so keep cool and carry on
Read more

“I don’t want to be buried underground. I want to live and live longer and I think that in the future they might find a cure for my cancer and wake me up. I want to have this chance. This is my wish.”

very sad and tragic, but she died from cancer so they are just preserving a dead body. It's way too much for my brain to understand.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There is a doctor/surgeon/mad professor out there currently talking about an imminent human head transplant and there is a patient already available.

Interesting coffee time read http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...s-mans-life-by-transplanting-his-head/492755/

Very interesting read. That dog upper body grafting looks grim and way back in 1959!

500x1000px-LL-52ddc6bc_sjp.jpg

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
To prove it works some one alive who believes in cryogenics should try it out......Any volunteers?????

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Only a few creatures on earth can survive and revive after freezing. Most of them are bacteria. Humans is not one of them. We are far too complex. Freezing damages us on a molecular level, cell walls break down, nerve connections break. It will never be achieved, ever.
As much as I feel for this poor girl and her family , it's a non starter.

Even if we could reanimate her 1000 years in the future, she won't know anyone and she'll have cancer.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Only a few creatures on earth can survive and revive after freezing. Most of them are bacteria. Humans is not one of them. We are far too complex.

Sylvester Stallone was successfully brought back after being cryogenically frozen in Judge Dredd. Granted he's a little less complex than a fourteen year old but it shows that the technology is available.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sad story, but she would have been better off investing in

snake12.jpg

Just the latest bunch of fraudsters in a long line

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Only a few creatures on earth can survive and revive after freezing. Most of them are bacteria. Humans is not one of them. We are far too complex. Freezing damages us on a molecular level, cell walls break down, nerve connections break. It will never be achieved, ever.
As much as I feel for this poor girl and her family , it's a non starter.

Even if we could reanimate her 1000 years in the future, she won't know anyone and she'll have cancer.

If we are put it a standard chest freezer we would be ice crystalised, and when defrosted we would be mush. Cryogenics gets around this issue by freezing quicker than ice crystals can form.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If we are put it a standard chest freezer we would be ice crystalised, and when defrosted we would be mush. Cryogenics gets around this issue by freezing quicker than ice crystals can form.

I see. I did read somewhere the same thing does happen over time to human tissues. They did defrost one chap a while ago. He was pretty much mush. Grim

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here