Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] £14 Craft Beer Crate (£10 off, no obligation to buy any more)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair point; tramps drink from cans and not bottles. It's an argument I have heard before and some breweries are having to really push the idea of cans.

Sounds a bit like the cork/screw top debate in the wine world and trying to break the cork = real wine, screw top = plonk perception.

I guess, thinking back to pre-craft days, bottles/cans was a bit of a differentiator. Crap lager came in cans, typically a 4-pack of 440mls, whilst better beer came in glass.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Sounds a bit like the cork/screw top debate in the wine world and trying to break the cork = real wine, screw top = plonk perception.

I guess, thinking back to pre-craft days, bottles/cans was a bit of a differentiator. Crap lager came in cans, typically a 4-pack of 440mls, whilst better beer came in glass.

All the best beers in the supermarket seem to come in bottles...Adnams, for example. Not cans.

The only benefit to cans is they are easier to recycle at home, being crushable and lighter.

I also think beer tastes "tinny" out of a can but can"t prove it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If drinking pints is your thing maybe craft isn't for you. It's more about quality than quantity.
I get that but 330ml, 355ml? Nearly all other ale comes in 500ml bottles so why not 250ml? 660ml seems to be reserved for lagers such as Cobra so why half a Cobra or Stella. I'll have 58% of a pint of beer please barkeep.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Definitely with you on that. But then outside of craft beer, not much canned beer tends to be something other than John Smiths or the like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All the best beers in the supermarket seem to come in bottles...Adnams, for example. Not cans.

Brewdog, Beavertown, Stone can imho be classed as very good* and all supply in cans. Many others do as well.

* I say good as it's silly to say they're the best as the market is very very crowded.

The only benefit to cans is they are easier to recycle at home, being crushable and lighter

The main benefit of cans is that craft beer keeps better; UV light degrades beer and opaque cans are therefore preferable to glass. They are also easier and cheaper to ship and store and therefore are greener e.g. If you buy cans from Brewdog you can get two 330 cans in the space for one 330 bottle ie twice as many in the same space. They can also be chilled quicker.

I've not noticed this with modern canning. Craft brewers typically rely on their product's quality (this is the main driver for craft) so they will not undo all their work with a crap can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I get that but 330ml, 355ml? Nearly all other ale comes in 500ml bottles so why not 250ml? 660ml seems to be reserved for lagers such as Cobra so why half a Cobra or Stella. I'll have 58% of a pint of beer please barkeep.

I don't agree, 330ml is quite prevalent as a bottle and can size. I just looked on alesbymail and they have lots of "other ale" and lagers in this size http://www.alesbymail.co.uk/pick-n-mix-beer

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Brewdog, Beavertown, Stone can imho be classed as very good* and all supply in cans. Many others do as well.

* I say good as it's silly to say they're the best as the market is very very crowded.

I did say all the best beers in supermarkets seems to come in bottles. Supermarkets. You might find Brewdog there, not much else "craft". I could just as well said most of the beer in tins in supermarkets seems to be cr*p because it is.

Not buying the UV argument. Or we'd get fine wines in a tinny.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not buying the UV argument. Or we'd get fine wines in a tinny.

It's the hops which are the issue and craft is typically hop forward.. Wine doesn't contain hops.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Look what's arrived!

fc4a92ecb24a1d794d1c1fae33ba22fc.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bottles:

Ilkley Brewery Dinner Ale
Buxton Brewery Moor Top Pale Ale
Panda Frog Project Pils Craft Cech Pilsner
Bunsen Atom American Brown Ale
Thornbridge Lukas Helles Lager
North Union Brewing Co. Amber/Gold Craft Lager

Cans:

Northern Monk Brew Co. New World IPA
North Brewing Co. Sputnik Pale Ale
Chorlton Brewing Co. Slow Beer
Bad Co. Comfortably Numb Pale Ale

Snack: Munchy Seeds Chilli Bites.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove

Which one do you go for first?

There was actually a picture on the website showing 8 of the 10, after you placed the order.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Which one do you go for first?

There was actually a picture on the website showing 8 of the 10, after you placed the order.

I tell you what's interesting, given the earlier exchange on the subject, is that the cans are more appealing. Maybe it's the funky design.

It may well be the Chorlton Slow Beer "fruity and a bit sour" as it intrigues me. Happy to wait until the Friday night drinking thread to taste test with others who have ordered.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The world 'fruity' definitely stands out at first glance. As does the green can. Despite not particularly liking beer in cans, those two definitely appealed most to me on appearance alone. Lets hope the taste lives up to expectation.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just ordered mine.
After-thought. Do people on the Magpies forum, or those oooop north in general, go just as wild having received Harveys, Long Man and Dark Star bottles?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here