Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK in principle but no-one has made a payment specific to the WBA game for their ST.................total cost of ST is divided by 12 (for those on DD). The real problem the club has is not knowing when they can get people back in - if it had been October as planned, it's quite possible the 6 months collected wouldn't have been enough to cover some people's tickets for the season, so to start faffing about with game-by-game refunds, with every individual having different options, would be a nightmare to implement at short notice - so IMO the holding of half a season's worth of payments made sense from that perspective. What's ****ed it right up is the Government dithering and now not knowing if/when we'll get back which makes the holding of 6 month's money look much worse than it did as no-one is going to see half the games this season. I suspect the 'deduct 14.95 from the pot' suggestion doesn't work either - imagine it'll be paid to the broadcasters first, not the club directly using existing PPV tech - if so the admin behind that would be even more difficult for the club to manage. I reckon we'll see a further ST refund at some point pretty soon (or the option of the pot being credited towards next year) - as soon as it's confirmed games will be BCD for the rest of the season.

Sorry but I beg to differ. We paid upfront in March to watch 19 specific home matches in season 2020/21. That's it. That's the contract we signed up to in March. No ifs, ands or buts. Not games sometime in the never-never. Have no wish whatsoever to give the club a hard time over this, they're suffering badly, just like any other business at present, but this particular issue seems pretty clear cut IMHO

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] @guinnessboy

I informed the club I needed to cancel my season ticket due to financial considerations [wife redundant and her chosen replacement career impacted significantly by Covid [she’s a reflexologist and holistic therapist from home] so we’re down to one income.

Club told me only option to cancel was in April so I’d be contractually bound to keep making the payments for this season.

Told them I physically couldn’t as I needed the money, I’d taken the payment holiday as well and that the extra outlay in the circumstances made a significant difference for us.

They helpfully went back and confirmed if I could make one more payment that they’d then stop any future payments as I’d met 50% of my season ticket cost but I wouldn’t get a refund which I’d have to wait until end of the season for provided I’d been unsuccessful in the ballot - I won’t be applying as I couldn’t justify/afford the train fair down from London, even if I wanted to get on four tubes and four trains right now which I don’t....

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry but I beg to differ. We paid upfront in March to watch 19 specific home matches in season 2020/21. That's it. That's the contract we signed up to in March. No ifs, ands or buts. Not games sometime in the never-never. Have no wish whatsoever to give the club a hard time over this, they're suffering badly, just like any other business at present, but this particular issue seems pretty clear cut IMHO

Don’t think so for those on DD - I’ve paid for half a season’s worth of games, and currently don’t know which, if any, I’ll get to go to.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] @guinnessboy

I informed the club I needed to cancel my season ticket due to financial considerations [wife redundant and her chosen replacement career impacted significantly by Covid [she’s a reflexologist and holistic therapist from home] so we’re down to one income.

Club told me only option to cancel was in April so I’d be contractually bound to keep making the payments for this season.

Told them I physically couldn’t as I needed the money, I’d taken the payment holiday as well and that the extra outlay in the circumstances made a significant difference for us.

They helpfully went back and confirmed if I could make one more payment that they’d then stop any future payments as I’d met 50% of my season ticket cost but I wouldn’t get a refund which I’d have to wait until end of the season for provided I’d been unsuccessful in the ballot - I won’t be applying as I couldn’t justify/afford the train fair down from London, even if I wanted to get on four tubes and four trains right now which I don’t....
Whist the DD option helps the ST become affordable the club must also know with this method it’s not dealing with the most wealthy people in Sussex. Poor show not to refund supporters who are financial impacted during covid especially as your paying for something your not getting. Personally I would refund all those who requested it as it really is a drop in the ocean to the club but can make a huge difference to the less wealthy of supporters.

It’s sometimes the little things that matter in life.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many of those options can the Albion implement?

Cheaper prices for what?

The supplement was not up to individual clubs to decide was it?

Don't we already pay a flat fee for season tickets? Or is that a suggestion for televising all Albion games? If so how much control do the club have on prices charged?

Yes, they could take it off money paid already, probably a bit admin heavy but that's their problem to sort.

I agree. The club did not unilaterally set the arrangement, it was an EPL decision. Imagining that a BHA fans' forum will determine the nature of a decision made by the EPL is rather naive. It's good to see a few people, even if it is a minority, keeping their feet on the ground.

I hadn't realised NSC was such a hotbed of anticapitalists. It makes you wonder how the country keeps on electing tory governments :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whist the DD option helps the ST become affordable the club must also know with this method it’s not dealing with the most wealthy people in Sussex. Poor show not to refund supporters who are financial impacted during covid especially as your paying for something your not getting. Personally I would refund all those who requested it as it really is a drop in the ocean to the club but can make a huge difference to the less wealthy of supporters.

It’s sometimes the little things that matter in life.

They perhaps can go further and are apparently reviewing that again today in a board meeting.
But wrong to forget what they've done already. The club did promptly refund everyone who pays via DD for the 7 games that didn't take place in front of fans last season. They very promptly allowed payment holidays . Far quicker than other clubs. They deserve credit for that.
As for this season
We're so far just 2 home games into this season and until a few weeks ago - there was every likelihood we were going to start having fans back in the stadium so its not surprising that their plans for this season season tickets are in flux.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They perhaps can go further and are apparently reviewing that again today in a board meeting.
But wrong to forget what they've done already. The club did promptly refund everyone who pays via DD for the 7 games that didn't take place in front of fans last season. They very promptly allowed payment holidays . Far quicker than other clubs. They deserve credit for that.
As for this season
We're so far just 2 home games into this season and until a few weeks ago - there was every likelihood we were going to start having fans back in the stadium so its not surprising that their plans for this season season tickets are in flux.

Spot on - think people are missing this in their rush to flame everyone. Less than a month ago it was looking like we might be back at the beginning of October so the current setup is still reflective of that. Fully expect the club to come up with further pragmatic plans/options over the coming weeks - including a refund capability.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or you stop denigrating people for their personal views based on their personal circumstances of which you know nothing about? I can’t afford to wait until the club deign to refund me for something which I have struggled to carry on paying in good faith at a time when the money really would make a significant difference. It’s then up to me whether or not I take some of that rebate/refund to pay for the stream for the games I want to watch - which if I did it Barber’s way would right now mean paying twice for the same product - the central crux for many here...

Personally all I’ve ever said is that for a slick CEO his responses on so many levels ignore basic customer service rules. He has made no attempt to understand why so many people feel so strongly about this or engage with us - he still continues to talk down to us rather than engage which I find incredibly patronising.

Yes I know the club is a business but contextually supporter income (outside of corporate hospitality) is much lower % than clubs outside the Prem - hopefully a fact that is universally agreed upon. So whilst we of course understand times are hard it’s a tad egregious to claim poverty when we’re spending £10m on two players we won’t use or see the benefit of for a year.

I’m not excusing any abusive emails he may have received, that’s crazy and people should know better but he really needs to understand this is a hugely emotive issue.

Fans spend great amounts and in many cases a vastly high % of their income following their team and right now they’re prioritising that because sport is offering a way of escaping this mental hell hole that Covid has thrown us into. To tell those people they need to effectively pay twice [where refunds are yet to be sanctioned/processed] in the current circumstances is wrong IMO.

You have conflated a lot of issues there. You pain a picture of supporters paying 'twice' to fund the ego trip of a slick businessman splashing around cash on luxury playesr and pleading poverty. I will raise one eyebrow ???

You and I paid upfront for a service we haven't received. We will get a refund if we want it. The fact that you couldn't really afford to buy the service in the first place (your implication) is sad, but that's really your call, isn't it? The fact you now have the opportunity to pay to watch games we didn't previously have the option of watching, without jeopardizing your season ticket refund, is good, surely? The sad fact is you can't afford it so you will miss out. But in what way are you 'paying twice'?

The rest of your post is about other things.

As for denigrating peope for their personal views, I get told time after time that people can express any view they like on NSC. If it happens to be my view that some people are conflating a range of different things into a confection of inappropriate vituperation, and if I am annoyed enough about it (especially the attacks on our club) to say so, I will say so.

And if I express strong views about people flouncing off to county league, tarring our owner with the mendacious brush of 'moneyman', there is no reason for you to infer that I am sneering at your cashflow problems. I'm not and I am sorry to hear it. I don't favour conflation since the connections implied are often false.

We have an issue about ST refunds (this needs to speed up - absolutely, because Covid has changed people's finances - no other reason).
We have an issue about the price of the new televised games (I have sympathy for those who can't afford it, albeit is an extra with the price set by the EPL, and it is not a substitute for what they paid for, or profiteering by the club as some imply, but I have no sympathy for those who refuse to pay on 'principle'.)
We have an issue about the top 6 and their proposed land grab (which has nothing to do with the above, apparently - El Pres said on the radio an hour ago that this has been in planning for 3 years and any reference to Covid were there any would be a smokescreen).

I said yesterday that I really don't want to offend anyone in genuine hardship for whom the £15 may seem like a final straw. I understand that the messages about payments and reimbursement can be confusing. If you are worrying about covid (as I am), your job (thankfully not in my case), the future of your family (definitely) then all sorts of stuff can be a blow and unsettling. I get that and I am sorry about it.

But I draw the line at people sticking the boot into our club because they are on their 'final straw'. The attacks on Barber are absurd. He is Bloom's man so until Bloom sacks Barber (perhaps he may - who knows?) I am assuming he is expressing the bosses views. That means people are attacking Bloom (even if they don't think they are - in the case of some people I see little or no evidence of any thinking, but as I said, I appreciate that people have wider issues and may be feeling delicate and fragile). Final comment on this - if anyone is upset at the costs agreed by the EPL for additional access to watch the team you love, please don't attack the club.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Except for maybe this time? Apart from reaching out to tell us that we always want everything for free

So far Barber , unlike other CEOS as far as i know, has replied to presumably dozens and dozens of emails - going by anecdotes on here/twitter, published this lengthy q and a https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1859764/pay-per-view-qa-with-paul-barber, and is participating in an online Q&A tomorrow night. So he might be pushing a plan that some fans disagree with or dislike the idea of paying for but he's hardly hiding from fans views on the matter is he ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Your ability to read my posts and decide they say whatever you want them to say is actually very impressive. Unfortunately for you in your attempt to spin everything you dislike you’ve proved my point for me.

In March we were staring down the barrel of a lockdown and seeing other major sporting leagues cancelled. And yet thousands of people; many of them who aren’t in the comfortable finical position you clearly are still decided to support the club despite the uncertainty in their future. People gave money to the club, to continue to support it whilst in the back of their head probably knowing there’s every chance they could lose their job or the season might not even go ahead. Now 7 months down the line when nobody has had even a partial refund (yet) the club are asking for even more money for a service that has been free for 6 months and have the cheek to claim that fans unhappy with the excessive fee ‘want something for nothing’

If anything other than a football club did that they’d be absolutely slaughtered for it, but because it’s a football club and people will passionately defend their club to the end of the Earth a lot of people are just shrugging their shoulders and accept it. If you paid for a takeaway online and then when the delivery driver got to your house he asked for £15 for petrol but promised you’d get a refund for your meal you’d tell him to f*ck off.

If the club used season ticket fees as basically an interest free loan to pay staff wages then I think most people would accept that, however making out the people who supported you without question at a time where there was mass uncertainty about the future are just after a freebie is an absolute c*nts move from the club and the ‘I’m fine so who cares?’ attitude of some is pretty shitty too.

I'm not spinning a thing.

Firstly, I didn't give the club money, I paid for a season ticket which remains the situation. They are holding my money pending fans being allowed back into stadiums.

You keep banging on about paying for something twice which is patently not the case but you refuse to understand despite me and plenty of others putting it in simple terms. You done it again with a ridiculous analogy to the delivery driver. A more accurate one would be that you've ordered a takeaway for this Saturday and paid online but then on Today you decide you also want a takeaway but you expect it to be free just because you paid for this coming Saturday's meal!!!

If you don't like the price of PPV, that's fine, it's a matter of opinion.
If you don't like the kick off time, again that's fine, it suits some and not others.
But FFS stop banging on about paying for the same thing twice.

Finally you complain about the club suggesting people want it for free. Well isn't that exactly what you seem to be after as you even make mention of the fact that you've had it for free for the last 6 months!!!! I believe the EPL had a massive contractual obligation to refund a big chunk of tv fees back to the broadcasters and a large chunk of that was offset by letting them broadcast more games free to air. That was never going to be the long term solution.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In all fairness you can’t blame Sky/BT and the clubs for you getting it wrong.

The availability of ALL games was always short term and was actually meant to stop at the end of last season.

They never said it was going to continue until all the fans were back, so while I’m not disagreeing with you regarding PPV we have never been promised all the games on TV.

Absolutely right BUT what I'm saying is: there's only so much I'm prepared to pay. And in this particular case, the football industry's greed will lose them revenue.

And as a side-issue, it has me seriously considering my investment in the sport.

Fan-free matches really aren't that compelling. Football bosses should be desperate to keep my attention (and that of my young kids).

Believe me, I'm not desperate to watch WBA in a fanless stadium at 17.30 on a Monday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So far Barber , unlike other CEOS as far as i know, has replied to presumably dozens and dozens of emails - going by anecdotes on here/twitter, published this lengthy q and a https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1859764/pay-per-view-qa-with-paul-barber, and is participating in an online Q&A tomorrow night. So he might be pushing a plan that some fans disagree with or dislike the idea of paying for but he's hardly hiding from fans views on the matter is he ?

I sort of actually feel sorry for PB on one level. OK he doubtless gets paid a salary beyond mine or thine dreams of avarice, but he's always fully bought into the deal, always been in the chair to give instant email responses to random bennys, and to fully engage with the fanbase,. And all so that TB can maintain his public persona as one-step-removed gorblimey just-one-of-us fan in a bobble hat. PB earns every penny, so far as I'm concerned. His next position will be a step up. He's served his time here and put in the hard graft and never over-obviously used us as a stepping stone. He's a class act IMHO

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You have conflated a lot of issues there. You pain a picture of supporters paying 'twice' to fund the ego trip of a slick businessman splashing around cash on luxury playesr and pleading poverty. I will raise one eyebrow ???

You and I paid upfront for a service we haven't received. We will get a refund if we want it. The fact that you couldn't really afford to buy the service in the first place (your implication) is sad, but that's really your call, isn't it? The fact you now have the opportunity to pay to watch games we didn't previously have the option of watching, without jeopardizing your season ticket refund, is good, surely? The sad fact is you can't afford it so you will miss out. But in what way are you 'paying twice'?

As for denigrating peope for their personal views, I get told time after time that people can express any view they like on NSC. If it happens to be my view that some people are conflating a range of different things into a confection of inappropriate vituperation, and if I am annoyed enough about it (especially the attacks on our club) to say so, I will say so.

And if I express strong views about people flouncing off to county league, tarring our owner with the mendacious brush of 'moneyman', there is no reason for you to infer that I am sneering at your cashflow problems. I'm not and I am sorry to hear it. I don't favour conflation since the connections implied are often false.

We have an issue about ST refunds (this needs to speed up - absolutely, because Covid has changed people's finances - no other reason).
We have an issue about the price of the new televised games (I have sympathy for those who can't afford it, albeit is an extra with the price set by the EPL, and it is not a substitute for what they paid for, or profiteering by the club as some imply, but I have no sympathy for those who refuse to pay on 'principle'.)
We have an issue about the top 6 and their proposed land grab (which has nothing to do with the above, apparently - El Pres said on the radio an hour ago that this has been in planning for 3 years and any reference to Covid were there any would be a smokescreen).

I said yesterday that I really don't want to offend anyone in genuine hardship for whom the £15 may seem like a final straw. I understand that the messages about payments and reimbursement can be confusing. If you are worrying about covid (as I am), your job (thankfully not in my case), the future of your family (definitely) then all sorts of stuff can be a blow and unsettling. I get that and I am sorry about it.

But I draw the line at people sticking the boot into our club because they are on their 'final straw'. The attacks on Barber are absurd. He is Bloom's man so until Bloom sacks Barber (perhaps he may - who knows?) I am assuming he is expressing the bosses views. That means people are attacking Bloom (even if they don't think they are - in the case of some people I see little or no evidence of any thinking, but as I said, I appreciate that people have wider issues and may be feeling delicate and fragile). Final comment on this - if anyone is upset at the costs agreed by the EPL for additional access to watch the team you love, please don't attack the club.

Nice post. By the way, there's no need to be so succinct!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm beginning to think that this is just a spoof wind-up merchant account now.

You are fortunate indeed that you can afford to pay the PPV charge. You are crassly over-looking those who CAN'T afford to pay the additional charge. All very well adopting the "I'm all right jack" modality whilst perched atop your ivory tower.

Yes, we know you can afford to pay it. We got that now. Jolly good ol' chap.

Some are not awash with extra cash. Some won't ever have been. Others will have lost their jobs as a result of the virus whilst others will be trying to save every last penny for fear that they won't have their job for much longer.

You clearly have no empathy at all for those who are not resident in the financial wonderland that you live in.

Don't be silly. That's more stupid than it is rude, but it really is stupid. You are just revealing what looks like a peevish inverted snobbery, sneering at what you imagine to be my lofty perch and lack of concern for those who are hard up. And I can assure you that I'm very much not 'alright', Jack.

I'll run through the key bits one more time.....

1. The games that are being aired for £15 a pop are games that would not have been aired on TV at all. Buying them is no different in substance from using your free will and money to pay to view via Sky or BT. Numerous people have pointed this out.
2. I don't recall you attacking me previously for commenting on a Brighton game I watched on BT (and paid for). What's the difference? I paid extra to watch it. Sky and BT aren't free, you know. ???
3. If you have a season ticket you'll get your refund. I agree that reimbursement is too slow but, FFS man, that doesn't justify all the crap you threw at me above! Your attack on me seems entirely focused on my willingness to pay £15 to watch a bit of footy which seems to give you the right to claim that I'm gloating about the thill of paying twice and not caring. Seriously? What sort of person do you think I am? Lord Snooty? Dom Cummings? Boris Johnson?
4. I am sorry if there are people on NSC, season ticket holders, who can't afford to pay one off charges of £15 a game to watch the extra televised games. I have said so previously, although I do wonder exactly how many people are in your special category of having forked out for a 2020-21 season ticket (despite having ample time to not do so after Covid arrived - decisions, decisions) and consequently this single spend has pushed them into a corner where they cannot afford to pay £15 to watch an extra game on TV (which is a little luxury, in fact, not a bloody human right). Were there no Covid and were they still able to attend games they would doubtless pay more than £15 in travel. My match day cost me a fortune and the way I see it I am saving a fortune by paying £15 and not having to travel to home games. Suits me for now. Always look on the bright side, etc. Glass half full. Better than being a miserable sod. As for away games, even those claiming they walk or cycle to the Amex are avoiding the expensive travel they would have paid due to there being no opportunity to travel away to games. And now they can watch some of them on telly for £15 a pop. Winner. So if you want to make this about money, FFS do your sums first. Most of those refusing to pay £15 are doing so on principle as far as I can see from posts. Protesting against the evil moneyman, Tony Bloom :facepalm: I'm sure there are masses of people who can't afford the £15, but my guess is most won't have a BHA season ticket (which is, in my view, a luxury item - it certainly is to me), and most won't be tapping away on their expensive computer or phone on the internet on NSC during daytime - they'll be at work, or looking for work. Rather a lot of jonny come lately keyboard faux socialists onine here right now, venting about a load of hypotheticals that probably don't affect themselves, not least the moneyman trope, and digging out people like me who still back the club to make the best choices even when the options are not great. That's my fundamental position - I trust in Tony Bloom. You are most welcome to move your trust elsewhere if it makes you feel better :shrug:.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Harry. just because you can't empathise with others feelings on this, and are making out that fans are sticking the boot in, when they aren't don't lump everyone in the same category.
In other words get over yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here