Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Don't think I made myself clear. Of course Sky/BT want to show the big games. But the clubs will want them to be the ones that are PPV if that would bring in more money for them. I have no idea how much the Manchester derby would bring in PPV but it would likely be more than the money the clubs would get for it being on Sky. I can see the big clubs wanting games against us, Burnley, WBA, Fulham etc to be on Sky so they still get the TV money top up for more than 10 games but save the big games for PPV. Sky/BT will want the opposite. If that goes badly, we may see even more pressure from the usual suspects to be able to sell their own rights.

Sure, no I got the point, it's just that whilst I can imagine a scenario where the big clubs do a deal with Sky for their games to be on PPV, it's just that even with that deal it would likely be scuppered because there's no incentive for BT to allow it, they would just select that match themselves

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is £15 really a high cost? We have two season ticket holders in our household so effectively it is £7.50 each. Every year when the Caraboa cup comes round people seem happy to accept a ticket price of £10 for a reserve team game!!!

As a one-off it is not so high. Factor in many matches and yes, a price of £15 for an vastly inferior product is very high. And the Villa game was £15 last year in the league cup. You must have taken a month off from NSC if you missed the complaints here or have a very distorted view if you think 'people seem happy'.

Also 2 season tickets in one household makes it cheaper if you are both working, but although I am, my son who is 17 and a student with no prospect of part-time work in the pandemic, doesn't have the luxury of income to make it '£7.50 each'. I am sure I am not the only one in a situation like this or indeed there are loads of folk at home without having 2 or more season ticket holders.

You have also illustrated why, if we have stricter lockdown, the £15 price will encourage people to spread the cost and break the rules as you are spreading it yourself albeit safely in your own bubble.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As a one-off it is not so high. Factor in many matches and yes, a price of £15 for an vastly inferior product is very high. And the Villa game was £15 last year in the league cup. You must have taken a month off from NSC if you missed the complaints here or have a very distorted view if you think 'people seem happy'.

Also 2 season tickets in one household makes it cheaper if you are both working, but although I am, my son who is 17 and a student with no prospect of part-time work in the pandemic, doesn't have the luxury of income to make it '£7.50 each'. I am sure I am not the only one in a situation like this or indeed there are loads of folk at home without having 2 or more season ticket holders.

You have also illustrated why, if we have stricter lockdown, the £15 price will encourage people to spread the cost and break the rules as you are spreading it yourself albeit safely in your own bubble.

If the price was £15 people want £10 and if it was £10 there would be people who say it should be £5!!

My daughter is 16 and contributes bugger all to her season ticket but it will still be two fans watching at £7.50 each.

As for breaking the rules, that's probably pretty much why we are still in this shit storm as deep as we are.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The price is astronomical compared to every major sport / league worldwide ...

The price per season to watch every game played by every team...

[emoji459] NBA: £169
⚾️ MLB: £109
[emoji970] NHL: £105
[emoji458] NFL: £115

The price per weekend to watch the Premier League, on top of Sky Sports, BT Sport and Amazon Prime subscriptions...

⚽️ PL: £75

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m sure it’s already been said, but nobody is forcing you to pay and I am just grateful to have an opportunity to watch a non scheduled game without having to do it on a dodgy freezing screen :shrug:

You can always go down that route if you don’t want to pay for it

Don’t see what the problem is

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The price is astronomical compared to every major sport / league worldwide ...

The price per season to watch every game played by every team...

[emoji459] NBA: £169
⚾️ MLB: £109
[emoji970] NHL: £105
[emoji458] NFL: £115

The price per weekend to watch the Premier League, on top of Sky Sports, BT Sport and Amazon Prime subscriptions...

⚽️ PL: £75

Interested to know how you arrived at that figure as it's certainly not what I pay. Also, you pay a subscription to sky you are getting more than premier league football. Need to compare like for like. I'm sure it will still be more expensive but then to most people it is a better product (football as opposed to rounders/netball/skating with sticks and the yanks version of rugby!!!

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It's the absolute opposite isn't it?

PPV games are those NOT selected under the existing contract and scheduled slots and these are weighted towards the big clubs.

This is the table from 2018/19 which illustrates this:

View attachment 129319

Probably. Unless one of the commercial guys realize it might be more profitable to make the bigger games OPV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interested to know how you arrived at that figure as it's certainly not what I pay. Also, you pay a subscription to sky you are getting more than premier league football. Need to compare like for like. I'm sure it will still be more expensive but then to most people it is a better product (football as opposed to rounders/netball/skating with sticks and the yanks version of rugby!!!

As in that’s what the leagues in the US charge for season tv passes....

So if you are in the US and want to watch every NBA game it’s £169 per season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sorry, meant how did you arrive at the £75

To watch every PPV game (£14.95 a time) for the non Sky / BT games

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This is a real mis-step by the Premier League I think. The overwhelming reaction on social media reflects that.

They’re not reading the room very well.

It reminds me of the music industry still clinging onto charging a fortune for an album and not embracing streaming. Make the price low enough and lots more people will take it up. If not they will find alternate means. £15 is a ridiculous figure.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If the price was £15 people want £10 and if it was £10 there would be people who say it should be £5!!

My daughter is 16 and contributes bugger all to her season ticket but it will still be two fans watching at £7.50 each.

As for breaking the rules, that's probably pretty much why we are still in this shit storm as deep as we are.

It is specious to suggest that more people wouldn't be happy with a more reasonable price. It is not 'splitting the cost' if you pay for your daughter just as it is not splitting the cost when you are at the amex. You, the one with the money, pay it all. This price will actively encourage splitting the cost and people will break lockdown.

And as for the last point, the government, well Boris in particular, told everyone to go back to work if they could, re-opened schools and universities and at one point predicted everything would be almost normal by christmas. These rises are not mostly due to people breaking rules.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is a real mis-step by the Premier League I think. The overwhelming reaction on social media reflects that.

They’re not reading the room very well.

It reminds me of the music industry still clinging onto charging a fortune for an album and not embracing streaming. Make the price low enough and lots more people will take it up. If not they will find alternate means. £15 is a ridiculous figure.

The music example isn’t really a good one, as artists earn significantly less from ‘albums’ now than they did 20 years ago

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think £15 is way too high a price - Albion/west brom is hardly premium boxing . maybe another £10 a month on your subscription for “All games” might have been a way to go.

PS Albion are very rare in allowing fans to buy season tickets on interest free direct debits and nearly everyone does. And have done for a decade. This idea that they’re hoarding interest from fans amidst confusion that has nothing to do with them about if/when games are going to start (as of a few weeks ago it was going to be this month) is a bit of stretch and stick to beat them with.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Why would the waiting list just disappear because at the moment we can't go to games? If was on the list, I wouldn't remove myself because I'd be pretty certain that at some stage fans will get back to games. Take yourself off the list then you go back to the end of the queue again.

To all extent and purposes it has disappeared. Two new work colleagues joined the membership scheme last November having moved into the area as they wanted to go to the odd match when they could and both were offered ST's for this season already. My father who is also a member but has no interest in being a ST holder has been offered a ST for three consecutive seasons. Plus, not every member will take up the offer of a ST (like my father) when offered.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think £15 is way too high a price - Albion/west brom is hardly premium boxing . maybe another £10 a month on your subscription for “All games” might have been a way to go.

PS Albion are very rare in allowing fans to buy season tickets on interest free direct debits and nearly everyone does. And have done for a decade. This idea that they’re hoarding interest from fans amidst confusion that has nothing to do with them about if/when games are going to start (as of a few weeks ago it was going to be this month) is a bit of stretch and stick to beat them with.

On the other hand tho, the very welcome direct debit option comes at the price of having to commit in March. Which in the Albion's case in recent seasons means commiting to a season before knowing what level of football you're commiting to. Which is both shrewd and smart on the club's part. And nobody much minded up til now. Sadly tho, Covid changed everything. That business model no longer works very well anymore. And the club's wholly admirable policy of encouraging fans to use public transport wherever possible ends up being just about the least appropriate policy in times of covid. Genuinely gutted for the club, who do their utmost to be the good guys and still end up looking like the bad guys. They deserve SO much better. IMHO like

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here