Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I can’t help but think that bad feelings are going to start creeping in all the time there are players earning more money In a week than most entire familys earn in a year. It used to be excessive before COVID-19 changed the world.. now it’s getting shameful. I hope someone sees sense ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I dare say the bigger clubs will start demanding a larger slice of the pie since they are more likely to have a greater number of the PPV games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In pretty much every other country you can watch every single Premier League match often at a yearly price less than we'd pay for a month of Sky.

The Premier League is a global product and the home fans have had a raw deal for a long time.

I don't really understand why Drew is so enthusiastic to be ripped off.

I don't consider that I've had a raw deal compared to overseas markets. I go to home games which they don't. I go to away games which they don't. Of course if you are just talking about the armchair fan in this country then they may have a raw deal but they also have a choice.

What I don't understand is why everyone thinks they should get it for free!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As far as I am aware the ST waiting least has disappeared due to this issue of not being allowed to go to games and it now looks likely current STH may abandon ship as well, further serious financial implications if this is the case.

Why would the waiting list just disappear because at the moment we can't go to games? If was on the list, I wouldn't remove myself because I'd be pretty certain that at some stage fans will get back to games. Take yourself off the list then you go back to the end of the queue again.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I'm guessing you weren't complaining when the club gave you an interest free loan over the last 10 years of paying for season tickets? There will be families struggling at all times, which is unfortunate but also the way of the world. As with anything, everyone needs to make judgements for their own needs.

You really need to ask whether it's a business or a community club? We stopped being a community club as soon as we started building the Amex. If you want a community club then you'll have to settle for something less than Premier league football, probably even lower than the championship. That said, the club still do a lot for the community.

Not sure I agree with this but i guess it depends on how you use the word community. The club has done more in the community since it has become richer and that includes employing a lot of people in various ways at the Amex and via suppliers. But getting big and surviving means it has to be more corporate and less individual. You could be personal when you have 3-6k fans attending games which happened for previous 12 years but not 30k. Further under Archer and Bellotti the only sense of community came from the fans not the club.

The main point is if the club is financially unsound then it can't do anything in the community an will

People arguing about players reducing wages is another interesting area because they are probably the same who argue for spending £50 million on a new striker who we will have to pay very high wages. We will have lost various targets this year because we weren't prepared to pay high wages.

I agree with you PPV is now an extra option which gives people the choice to see games they would not have otherwise seen.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To legally watch every game in India it costs about £50 for the year.

Yet I’m being asked to pay in the UK £15 a game for something that I’ve already paid for, via a platform that I already pay for.

It stinks.

TB

What’s the average wage in India ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I dare say the bigger clubs will start demanding a larger slice of the pie since they are more likely to have a greater number of the PPV games.

You know what - I hope they do. See how the club vote if that was proposed....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can’t help but think that bad feelings are going to start creeping in all the time there are players earning more money In a week than most entire familys earn in a year. It used to be excessive before COVID-19 changed the world.. now it’s getting shameful. I hope someone sees sense ASAP

The good old envy approach. Let's use the pandemic to attack players wages yet again. How many players have received massive pay hikes during the pandemic?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Fair enough, and I've never been any kind of fan of taking ST money in March. But doesn't detract in any way from BHAFC being a community club IMHO. Pretty sure you'd agree on that one

Agree and I think it’s not about individual clubs and more to do with the current situation heightening the disconnect between PL clubs and the rest or normality. Clubs are laying off staff who are on living wages (not the Albion granted) holding ST money, asking Joe public for more TV revenue whilst players astronomical wages remain untouched and clubs continue to spunk millions of pounds on players in this window.

I think that is what is at the heart of the angst behind this latest move that it’s the people who have less being asked to pay more whilst millions of pounds continues to roll around those who don’t need it.

Not fussed about the aways, they have a right to charge something reasonable but to charge home season ticket holders when no refunds have been processed for 19-20 and money taken for no games in 20-21 is a disgrace

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's the absolute opposite isn't it?

PPV games are those NOT selected under the existing contract and scheduled slots and these are weighted towards the big clubs.

This is the table from 2018/19 which illustrates this:

Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 10.34.18.png

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's the absolute opposite isn't it?

PPV games are those NOT selected under the existing contract and scheduled slots and these are weighted towards the big clubs.

This is the table from 2018/19 which illustrates this:

View attachment 129319

I wouldn’t put it past Sky to have some bigger games they would normally cover on PPV to rake in some more ££££.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is already not possible in many areas of the country and who knows what further restrictions may be introduced countrywide or down her in the coming months? This measure will encourage illegal and dangerous gatherings due to the high cost, and for that reason I am dead set against this foolish error.

Is £15 really a high cost? We have two season ticket holders in our household so effectively it is £7.50 each. Every year when the Caraboa cup comes round people seem happy to accept a ticket price of £10 for a reserve team game!!!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
The good old envy approach. Let's use the pandemic to attack players wages yet again. How many players have received massive pay hikes during the pandemic?

I imagine that clubs have voted this PPV idea through because they are ‘hard up’ due to the lack of fans in grounds. Yet simultaneously many still find the money to splash millions in the transfer market and pay x amount of players more in a week than many of us in a year. I can empathise with people that are angry at the fact that they are being told to splash out an additional £15 for games when they already pay for Sky, BT and a season ticket to watch their club. Sure, it’s a choice, but it sets a precedent and furthers the notion that we are merely ‘customers’.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wouldn’t put it past Sky to have some bigger games they would normally cover on PPV to rake in some more ££££.

Well, and I was going to say in my post above, surely in the spirit of "fairness" to fans of all clubs, the distribution of games in existing slots should be more evenly distributed than it usually is.

Why should, say, an Albion fan have to stump up 25 * £15 = £375 to see their games if a Liverpool fan only has to stump up 9 * £15 = £135?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Surely the bigger clubs will have fewer games on PPV as more of their games are shown as part of the standard Sky/BT packages?

[edit: I see Bozza has made the same point.]

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well, and I was going to say in my post above, surely in the spirit of "fairness" to fans of all clubs, the distribution of games in existing slots should be more evenly distributed than it usually is.

Why should, say, an Albion fan have to stump up 25 * £15 = £375 to see their games if a Liverpool fan only has to stump up 9 * £15 = £135?

Actually. That's a very valid point.

They would make more money evenly distributing the games as there are more say Liverpool and Man United fans around the world willing to pay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here