Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's like having your holiday cancelled, not getting a refund but being told for an extra £14.95 you can enjoy the holiday experience by watching "Wish you were here?" with Judith Chalmers.

Surely the answer to all this is players taking a frigging pay cut, that's where all the bloody money goes. Blanket cut across the PL (and beyond?), job done.

Not really. It’s like having your holiday cancelled and being given credit by First Choice for a holiday next year.
And you could still watch Wish You Were Here as often as it normally would have been.
But then , yeah, having to pay extra to watch some kind of BEst of Judith Chalmers special edition that you would not otherwise have been able to watch anyway .

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It's like having your holiday cancelled, not getting a refund but being told for an extra £14.95 you can enjoy the holiday experience by watching "Wish you were here?" with Judith Chalmers.

Surely the answer to all this is players taking a frigging pay cut, that's where all the bloody money goes. Blanket cut across the PL (and beyond?), job done.

And a severe cap on agents fees. We can but dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not fussed about the aways, they have a right to charge something reasonable but to charge home season ticket holders when no refunds have been processed for 19-20 and money taken for no games in 20-21 is a disgrace

What if they said that for Season ticket holders, they will deduct £10 for each home game that you watch?

Personally, I rather they keep my ST monies and either put it towards the cost of games I can actually attend this season (if that happens) or towards the cost of next season's ticket. Now I know that I'm fortunate in that I can afford to do that although we are by no means wealthy. I appreciate that others might not be so fortunate but does that mean everyone should be able to watch for free?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I wouldn’t put it past Sky to have some bigger games they would normally cover on PPV to rake in some more ££££.

Think they're using the first three confirmed PPV games purely to gauge uptake: one potentially big uptake game vs one meh game vs one game that no neutral in their right mind would cross the street to view for free

'Sky Sports confirmed shortly after the Premier League's statement that Manchester United's trip to Newcastle United on Saturday October 17 will be the first game to be shown live on PPV. Leicester's match against Aston Villa on Sunday October 18 will also be on PPV, as will West Bromwich Albion vs Burnley a day later'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What if they said that for Season ticket holders, they will deduct £10 for each home game that you watch?

Personally, I rather they keep my ST monies and either put it towards the cost of games I can actually attend this season (if that happens) or towards the cost of next season's ticket. Now I know that I'm fortunate in that I can afford to do that although we are by no means wealthy. I appreciate that others might not be so fortunate but does that mean everyone should be able to watch for free?

Gets a bit more complicated when a household contains 2, 3 or 4 season ticket holders. Would the 4-ST household have to pay £40 or £10?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not really. It’s like having your holiday cancelled and being given credit by First Choice for a holiday next year.
And you could still watch Wish You Were Here as often as it normally would have been.
But then , yeah, having to pay extra to watch some kind of BEst of Judith Chalmers special edition that you would not otherwise have been able to watch anyway .

Exactly. Some people have got themselves so enraged they can't see the wood for the trees!!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Exactly. Some people have got themselves so enraged they can't see the wood for the trees!!

Dont get me wrong. I don’t support the charge.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I imagine that clubs have voted this PPV idea through because they are ‘hard up’ due to the lack of fans in grounds. Yet simultaneously many still find the money to splash millions in the transfer market and pay x amount of players more in a week than many of us in a year. I can empathise with people that are angry at the fact that they are being told to splash out an additional £15 for games when they already pay for Sky, BT and a season ticket to watch their club. Sure, it’s a choice, but it sets a precedent and furthers the notion that we are merely ‘customers’.

:facepalm:

They might already have BT/Sky but they certainly don't normally get the option to watch every Brighton game because every Brighton game isn't normally broadcast. So all they are being asked to do is to pay for games they wouldn't normally get to see. (season ticket money is basically ringfenced for when we can actually go to games)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree and I think it’s not about individual clubs and more to do with the current situation heightening the disconnect between PL clubs and the rest or normality. Clubs are laying off staff who are on living wages (not the Albion granted) holding ST money, asking Joe public for more TV revenue whilst players astronomical wages remain untouched and clubs continue to spunk millions of pounds on players in this window.

I think that is what is at the heart of the angst behind this latest move that it’s the people who have less being asked to pay more whilst millions of pounds continues to roll around those who don’t need it.

And I wonder how many people whinging about transfer fees and wages are also on other threads whinging about the club not bringing in a star striker or a left back?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Paul Barber has turned his email address off in response to WAB suggesting fans ‘flood’ his inbox

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is £15 really a high cost? We have two season ticket holders in our household so effectively it is £7.50 each. Every year when the Caraboa cup comes round people seem happy to accept a ticket price of £10 for a reserve team game!!!

Two close mates, both season ticket holders, have lost their jobs this summer. You are coming across as an ‘I’m alright Jack’.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
And I wonder how many people whinging about transfer fees and wages are also on other threads whinging about the club not bringing in a star striker or a left back?

Well the PL clubs can’t have it both ways they are either hard up and need more fan money and need to cut back their own spending or they are not so continue to buy players. The fact we have just spent over £10m on a couple of players out on loan suggests we might not be feeling the pinch as much as we say we are. It might sit well with you but clubs laying off mascots and tea ladies whilst signing players for tens of millions of pounds and then millions again in wages suggests we are not exactly all in this together are we.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Paul Barber has turned his email address off in response to WAB suggesting fans ‘flood’ his inbox

Oh......I was going to politely email him saying the West Brom KO time was no good for me and ask when the exchange was opening so I could list my season ticket that I get charged for, as I didn't want it going to waste and wanted someone else to have the opportunity of watching the Albion instead.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I don't consider that I've had a raw deal compared to overseas markets. I go to home games which they don't. I go to away games which they don't. Of course if you are just talking about the armchair fan in this country then they may have a raw deal but they also have a choice.

We're all armchair fans right now and we have no choice in that.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Well the PL clubs can’t have it both ways they are either hard up and need more fan money and need to cut back their own spending or they are not so continue to buy players. The fact we have just spent over £10m on a couple of players out on loan suggests we might not be feeling the pinch as much as we say we are. It might sit well with you but clubs laying off mascots and tea ladies whilst signing players for tens of millions of pounds and then millions again in wages suggests we are not exactly all in this together are we.

The fact we have a net spend of zero and seemingly cut our wage bill by letting a load of top earners go, says otherwise. We still need to try and be competitive, and we need to plan for the future.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You're totally missing the point.

The only reason it is not 'legal' to watch the game by other means is because of a global pandemic that's cost thousands of lives and jobs in the UK.

The same supporters who want to watch these games are, primarily, the ones that paid for a ticket expecting to go the game.
They would go week in, week out. They are the loyal supporters.

They are now being asked to pay a further £15, because, apparently, the clubs need the revenue stream in the absence of supporters, despite blowing £1.2 billion in the latest transfer window.

Justifying this latest money grab as being acceptable because there's no obligation to supporters is presumably the same sort of out-of-touch decision making that resulted in clubs voting in favour and the resulting PR shit storm.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think it is you that are missing the point. The money people have spent for their season ticket is still there and will be used for them to go to games when we can, whether that is later this season or next. The £15 is an option that no one is obliged to pay to watch games that you wouldn't otherwise have seen.

As for the £1.2b, are you just taking the total amount spent rather than working out the net amount spent, which in our case is pretty low. You should also take into account that signings like Weir have helped a club like Wigan!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here