Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £14.95 to watch Albion

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
NOWTv had sort of set the bar at £9.99 a game which the EPL is raising to the detriment of the fans. Says it all really.

Will I pay it ? YES but hope NowTV will still offer some games at £9.99, I'll watch those shown on BTsport on my mobile (free as part of my contract) and there are at least 2 amazon ones (already have prime). Hopefully i can keep the cost down.

Will this change me forever about going to live games NO as the live games offer so much more than just the football.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Because they are football clubs, administratively run as such, not broadcasters.

To have each club's own streaming services, you need fully functioning, state-of-the-art broadcasting equipment, technicians, support staff, licences (UK and international), and on and on, with no £100m reward.

You'll also see Man C, Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc run away with the viewing numbers, leaving the likes of Brighton in its wake, and the gap between the large and small clubs widening further still. If Brighton made £10m from this, I'd be astonished. Man U, with its worldwide appeal, on the other hand, would easily clean up with 50x more.

I think the Premier League technically could easily launch it's own streaming service (as opposed to individual clubs) , it would all be shot and uplinked by the same third parties anyway. The licensing would be a whole lot easier.

It's not disimiliar to the journey broadcasters have been going through. Do we just place our linear channel on something else platform (e.g. Sky), do we place our new VOD channel on someone elses platform (e.g. Apple TV) or do we do the whole thing ourselves ?

How the money is distributed is another matter of course.

I read somewhere once that Manchester United could generate more in a few games in streaming revenue than they do over a whole season currently.

I suspect the Premier League don't want or need the hassle all the time there is competition in the market for others desperate to take it on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the Premier League technically could easily launch it's own streaming service (as opposed to individual clubs) , it would all be shot and uplinked by the same third parties anyway. The licensing would be a whole lot easier.

It's not disimiliar to the journey broadcasters have been going through. Do we just place our linear channel on something else platform (e.g. Sky), do we place our new VOD channel on someone elses platform (e.g. Apple TV) or do we do the whole thing ourselves ?

How the money is distributed is another matter of course.

I read somewhere once that Manchester United could generate more in a few games in streaming revenue than they do over a whole season currently.

I suspect the Premier League don't want or need the hassle all the time there is competition in the market for others desperate to take it on.

The distribution of income is the most important aspect. If the big 6 can keep all the income from their home matches financially they will be on a different planet. EPL wouldn't last long as there would be a euro super league.

There are so many things that are technically possible but that doesn't mean the long term result benefits us.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Sorry but I am out. I pay my St and a sky subscription which costs me over£100 a month. Now I am seriously considering cancelling my sky subscription permanently. I have had enough.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Sadly BHA have sold out...

Bloom and Barber need to take a long hard look at themselves voting for this.

Football is dead, players should be taking a massive cut in wages, before the Premier League screw the supporter for even more money.

Games behind closed doors are soul less affairs.

The answer is don't pay extra for a watered down product.

Boycott, Sky, BT and Amazon Prime, Stream, Stream,Stream,Stream and **** the lot of them.

Our club has now become a big disappointment, being part of this shite.

A massive sell out by the club.

As a 1901 member still paying for a product the club can no longer offer, I'm now ****ed off!!!!!!!!!!

RANT OVER.................

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
How much to watch this for ex pat fans on their respective platforms? I assume nil in with their subscription price. UK fans shafted again.

It's a monthly subscription in the US and it's 5 dollars a month. Basically works out as 50 a year but you get access to every single game every week not just one.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
What exactly is the problem? You can now see all BHA games which you couldn't before. The games selected for live broadcast, subscribers to Sky/Bt will see as per before. Those that are now PPV you get to to choose whereas before you only saw them if you actually went.

You must live in the posh part of Newhaven :):whistle:
Possibly I do but makes no difference to how I feel

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
How long before the club start charging to watch the highlights reel that they post on the club site on Mondays.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry but I am out. I pay my St and a sky subscription which costs me over£100 a month. Now I am seriously considering cancelling my sky subscription permanently. I have had enough.

Really don't get your argument! You might be paying for the season ticket but that is still your money. You'll get it back if we don't get to go to any games at the Amex!!! If you choose not to pay for any PPV games then you will probably see BHA on tv just as much as you did before.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Bizarre logic is it cant be 10 quid as that's what EPL charge - so PL has to be more

Though EPL give access codes to all their season ticket holders for free

And PL season ticket holder get ...

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Well at least we’ve found out who’s paying the other half of Shane Duffys wages!

If it’s distributed evenly to all clubs it makes sense as the club are not directly earning from our current season ticket income (other than bank interest) as it essentially a pre payment when we do return.

Looks like it’s going to be NBC Gold for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We Are Brighton.com

You have to admire the Premier League, Sky Sports and BT Sports. Just when you think they must have exhausted every possible method to fleece loyal football supporters, they go and find a new way to carry out open surgery on the wallet.

The latest plan involves charging supporters £15 per match to watch games that are not included in the normal live television schedule. It is in effect a PPV service for Premier League football on top of what we already fork out for television packages and season tickets.

According to reports, just one Premier League club voted against the PPV proposal. Take a bow Leicester City. The Foxes were the single voice sticking up for the everyday fan. The other 19 – including Brighton & Hove Albion – simply saw pound signs flashing before their eyes.

The financial commitment that goes into being a Brighton fans is a significant one. An Amex Stadium season ticket in the West Stand upper costs £650 and although the club stopped direct debits in September, we have already forked out six months of payments for a product we are unlikely to see in 2020-21, barring a minor miracle occurring and stadiums being allowed to open their doors. That’s the best part of £325 with nothing to show for it.

Brighton have said that any credit in the bank from this season will be put towards season tickets for 2021-22, which is nice. It’s not much use though for those fans who face uncertain futures work wise as the threat of a new lockdown and a second wave hanging over the economy.

That money sitting in the Albion’s bank account ready to go towards matches in a year’s time doesn’t help put food on tables or pay mortgages.

Add to the season ticket money spent another £150 for Sky Sports and BT Sports subscriptions and the cost of watching Brighton in 2020-21 is already at the £475 mark

If two thirds of the Albion’s remaining games are not selected by Sky and BT for their standard coverage, then supporters will need to find another £330 to see every match left to play.

That is bad enough. It gets worse though when you consider that Brighton are basically telling season ticket holders to pay £15 to watch a match which they have already in effect paid to see.

Imagine forking out your £650 for the season, only to be told that you need to pay another £15 on the gate at each and every home game. It is beyond a joke.

There seems little chance of clubs allowing season ticket holders to watch for free either. At last month’s Albion Fans Forum, Paul Barber said that doing so would breach broadcast contracts.

Supporters might have been the ones that kept Brighton & Hove Albion in business through the Gillingham and Withdean years, but it is very clear that the Albion now dance to the tune of Sky Sports rather than those who ensured there is club to do the dancing at all.

We will no doubt get a statement from Barber soon saying that the Albion have been hit hard by the pandemic and that every supporter paying £15 to watch will help the club out financially.

This might wash a little easier had a transfer window not closed on Monday in which £1.2 billion was spent by Premier League clubs. A further £200 million was paid straight into the pockets of agents.

And it’s for that reason that I won’t be paying £15 per game to watch Brighton this season. If the Premier League can spend £1.2 billion in three months on new players, then it doesn’t need to introduce PPV at £15 a game on top of a £150 commitment to a sports package.

Not to mention that Brighton have taken and kept half payment for a product which they are going to struggle to deliver, and are now asking for another £15 to watch every home game.

The good news is that there are other ways to keep up with the Albion. Illegal steams are going to boom in the wake of the Premier League’s decision.

If you don’t fancy hearing an overexcited Chinese commentator screaming the name Leandro Trossard, then you can always turn to good old fashioned radio coverage.

Brighton fans are very lucky to have the excellent Johnny Cantor and Warren Aspinall on BBC Radio Sussex. A lot of local radio stations are pretty biased in their coverage for fear of upsetting or besmirching the club and having their future access restricted.

Not Cantor or Aspinall though, who are refreshingly honest in their analysis. Aspinall’s passionate assessments about slack marking and disappointment at the lack of a new striker are worth tuning in for by themselves.

Or you could take your £15 and spend it at a local non league club, rather than handing it over to the mega-rich Premier League on top of the considerable sums you are already handing over.

The average Southern Combination League side will charge £6 entrance, £1 for a programme, £4.50 for a cheeseburger and chips and £3.50 for a pint. Which you can drink while watching the game stood anywhere you like.

Give £15 to a community asset run by volunteers for the love of the game that genuinely needs the money to survive? Or hand it over to clubs who make hundreds of millions of pounds in television contracts alone, furthering their greed? It’s a no brainer.

There is one other very good reason not to support the Premier League’s gluttony. Say 500,000 Liverpool fans pay £15 each to watch Jurgen Klopp’s side take on Brighton at the Amex.

Suddenly, the Albion are raking in far more in matchday revenue than they would with 30,000 in the stadium. Financially, it then makes sense for Premier League clubs to keep a PPV TV model and empty grounds over fans buying tickets.

We have always known that clubs don’t really care about fans; we are just cash cows to them. But even by the Premier League’s high standards, this latest way of fleecing supporters is extraordinary.

£15 every week on top of everything else I’ve paid to Sky, BT and the Albion to watch my team on PPV television? It’s not for me, Clive.

THIS, THIS AND ****ING THIS..............:angry:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sadly BHA have sold out...

Bloom and Barber need to take a long hard look at themselves voting for this.

Football is dead, players should be taking a massive cut in wages, before the Premier League screw the supporter for even more money.

Games behind closed doors are soul less affairs.

The answer is don't pay extra for a watered down product.

Boycott, Sky, BT and Amazon Prime, Stream, Stream,Stream,Stream and **** the lot of them.

Our club has now become a big disappointment, being part of this shite.

A massive sell out by the club.

As a 1901 member still paying for a product the club can no longer offer, I'm now ****ed off!!!!!!!!!!

RANT OVER.................

Eh ? I've been hoping to be able to watch the albion on Pay Per View for decades. I think they should pat themselves on the back.

I haven't subscribed to Sky Sports for years as they haven't offered the product I want so it's not a case of having to pay for all available options.

A ST along with Pay Per View for the aways or home games I can't make. Perfect.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here