Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £115m

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So which stand are we renaming? I mean, an investment of nearly a quarter of a billion must get you something? Maybe the junior seagulls can become the Todd Squad.
You jest but his old club in South America is naming a new training centre after him. Something they pointed out last time he was back home… which probably added to his desire to leave.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You jest but his old club in South America is naming a new training centre after him. Something they pointed out last time he was back home… which probably added to his desire to leave.
I was talking about the rich kid trying to buy mates by giving us all his money.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's like giving Jürgen Locadia the naming rights to the 1901 club sound system.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Chelsea learnt nothing from the Cuc transfer. Paid a 15m premium again, they love us

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This sounds extremely basic but when watching quite a few matches this weekend I was thinking to myself, unless it's an extremely talented winger really and a striker who simply doesn't miss, it's relatively easy to soak up the loss of ONE player out of the 11 in your team. Caicedo is obviously brilliant at what he does but that position can be catered for and it doesn't particularly 'run' the game.

The winger is one of the few positions where the player gets repeated chances to really shine and destroy their opposing number. They have space out there and can isolate a defender, much like Mitoma does. Lose him and I'd be gutted.

So to get 100m+ for that position feels mad when I feel we can cater for the loss.

This isn't re-writing Caicedo's involvement by the way. I wanted to keep him but just watching several matches this weekend, I was keeping an eye on Enzo for example. He had a really good game. No assist. No goal. Didn't stop a key Liverpool moment from what I remember but widely recognised to have played very well.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are actually very few "game changers" in football where the astronomical fees feel justified.

Fun though, innit.

We find the right cogs to fit into the system and others panic and buy our cogs for mad prices.

To paraphrase Sir Alex, wingers win you matches, Caicedos win you titles.

And I'd say he certainly runs games.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The whole thing has been a bit grubby Caiceado his agent along with Chelsea have all come out of this poorer in my eyes.

Chelsea should have bid the asking price weeks ago it could have been done and dusted giving Brighton the opportunity to sign a replacement before the season started.

I feel a little sorry for Liverpool having been duped into making an offer after being encouraged by Caicead’s camp with a “come and get me“ while all along Caiceado and his agent knew Chelsea were stuck on £80 million and Brighton not willing to sell unless the £100 million valuation was meet.

So Liverpool come in with the required bid Caiceado camp rejects it with a “I only have eyes for a London club” statement forcing Chelsea’s hand who now have come back with a bid of £115 million🤪😳madness absolute madness.

I honestly think Liverpool would have been a better fit for Caiceado along McAlester a ready made proven midfield, but if your motivation is purely monetary then the bright lights is where you go.

Footballers have a short term life at the very top and I understand Caiceado comes from a large family in a poor area and for all I know is funding this extended family group.

Chelsea have come out of this looking very naive and with some additional problems regarding financial fair play.

Both Brighton and Liverpool have been left looking for a Caiceado replacement with not long to find one

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I've heard several times that Chelsea and Hove Albion have paid £100 Million "up front" , to me that would mean all of that paid in one go, with the remaining to be paid when the targets are hit

That would be fantastic if true, but do they really have £100 000 000 ready cash to transfer?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've heard several times that Chelsea and Hove Albion have paid £100 Million "up front" , to me that would mean all of that paid in one go, with the remaining to be paid when the targets are hit

That would be fantastic if true, but do they really have £100 000 000 ready cash to transfer?
I would be very surprised if they did. I reckon they are borrowing money for these signings ... at eye watering interest rates.

This combined with the 8 year deals they are offering players and massive wages, says to me, that they need to be making big big money in 3 or 4 years time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Definitely not. The reports are they had to the extra £4M because the payment schedule wasn’t as good as Liverpool’s.

mile oak

May 21, 2023

What happens once legal investigations (past monetry dealings) into C and H A are completed?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house

They have been out with a begging bowl to the Saudi investors who part own them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I actually think the sell on clause is a masterstroke. A few years down the line Moises is going to be offered Saudi Arabian League money and we’ll have some of that as well. Genius!
I'm not actually that sure. As good as MC is, there's a chance that his next move will be for less than £115m. Especially if Chelsea have learnt any lessons and realise that anything beyond that means giving the Albion MORE money.

I could be very wrong and he could go on to be worth £200m, but I have some doubts. Probably based on the fact that I think Chelsea have overspent on him (at this point in his career/experience)...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How many security checks does Todd have to go through to pay £115 million? I have a pin, fingerprint and then a telephone call for large transfers, will he need to go in to the bank to confirm it's him?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It's much less exciting than that. I read there was a 20% sell on clause due to Independiente which means we get 85 mill. Amortise that over the contract length and Chelsea's FFP exposure is around 10 mill a year. There's no big money button that The Todd has to pay now AFAIK. I assume we won't be getting it over 8 years so our cash flow should be decent to get replacements in but Chelsea were definitely offering less up front than Liverpool according to informed reports.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I'm not actually that sure. As good as MC is, there's a chance that his next move will be for less than £115m. Especially if Chelsea have learnt any lessons and realise that anything beyond that means giving the Albion MORE money.

I could be very wrong and he could go on to be worth £200m, but I have some doubts. Probably based on the fact that I think Chelsea have overspent on him (at this point in his career/experience)...
I was just wondering about this. I’ve always assumed that a sell-on clause gives the original club a %age of the profit of a future sale, so Albion would get a cut in this case if Chelsea sell MC for more that £115m. Is that the case, or might a sell-on clause give a cut of *any* sale?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So should we spend the £115m (minus sell on) on ......

New players? - I'm not sure we could even spend that much without bloating our squad or ruining our wage structure

Paying back Tony? - i'm not sure he wants the money he's put in back. Sure he wants sustainability, but he always knew this buying a football club venture was unlikely to make him a personal profit

Infastructure improvements? - Are there now things which weren't remotely financially viable which now are? Making Withdean compliant for WSL, Alterations to the Amex etc?

Some sort of long term trust fund? - Something to provide for a longer term security, for if and when the wheel turns and we're down the leagues again.

Of course, it will be some and some

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here