Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10th if we are lucky this season

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
No offense but you must be deluded, how can you judge the future of this season on the basis of one performance? Yes we played bad, yes we defended poor but that doesnt mean we are going to consistently make these same mistakes. I bet just last week you was saying we were going to win the championship when we beat chelsea 3-1. Deluded!

Firstly I didnt see the Chelsea game as I was away in Portugal at the time, so I made no statements on how we would do season wise based on that.

Secondly I am not judging a season based on one performance. What I saw was a continuation of our poor away form from last season, and a manager that didn't have clue what to do about it. Also our "second string", where they were playing today, simply aren't good enough. Based on those observations I believe we will struggle this year.

Thirdly when people start sentences with "no offence" they are usually immediately offensive. You have done well on this front.

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
i didnt realise some brighton fans were so clueless about football its one game in the cup no one cares about, all this crap about gus dont know what to do when we go behind, last season we went behind to loads of teams and came back remember the doncaster game of the leeds game when we were 2-0 down, this club were struggling like f*** when he took over, the job he has done is amazing and if the fans dont like him they need to piss off and find another another club to support, he is the best manager i have ever seen at this club

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not insulted by you mate. Just some on here reply with useless remarks without entering into any type of debate on things.

I guess it all comes down to how you feel about sporting achievement. If we truly are f***ing brilliant then we should be able to show that at all times, especially against lower league opposition. I appreciate that anything can happen in football, but I guess I expect a high standard all the time which is unrealistic.

Still think with more performances like that we will struggle. Guess tonight just needs to be our worst performance of the season and we are OK

Agreed. And I think Gus would agree too, he always bangs on about what I think you are saying you want to see - consistency, which is definitely essential if we want to succeed this season.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
We lost to Northampton in the league cup two seasons ago, and only just managed to survive, escaping relegation by a tiny margin of 48 points.

Were positively screwed

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Agreed. And I think Gus would agree too, he always bangs on about what I think you are saying you want to see - consistency, which is definitely essential if we want to succeed this season.

And consistency is definitely what was lacking last season.

If you look at any sport what separates the elite top performers from the rest is consistency.

It applies to golf, tennis, motor racing, any Olympic discipline, in fact any sport what so ever.

We have gotta get some of this going on to do well this year. I am sure that Gus is the man to do this, just wasn't feeling it a few hours ago.

Am feeling better now.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
We lost to Northampton in the league cup two seasons ago, and only just managed to survive, escaping relegation by a tiny margin of 48 points.

Were positively screwed

So cause of what happened two seasons ago this is nailed on again is it mate?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So cause of what happened two seasons ago this is nailed on again is it mate?

I'm saying losing to a lower league team in a cup match means absolutely nothing in regards to the following season. I'm not saying its nailed on, im saying there is no need to get so worried, league results are the only ones that matter, and we all know that the league is a completely different game entirely.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
And consistency is definitely what was lacking last season.

If you look at any sport what separates the elite top performers from the rest is consistency.

It applies to golf, tennis, motor racing, any Olympic discipline, in fact any sport what so ever.

We have gotta get some of this going on to do well this year. I am sure that Gus is the man to do this, just wasn't feeling it a few hours ago.

Am feeling better now.

Consistency was a problem at times last season, but despite that it was still a good season.

Glad you're feeling better :thumbsup:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I'm saying losing to a lower league team in a cup match means absolutely nothing in regards to the following season. I'm not saying its nailed on, im saying there is no need to get so worried, league results are the only ones that matter, and we all know that the league is a completely different game entirely.

Very true but our away league performance last year was far from ideal, and this was a continuation of our poor away form as far as I can see. That's what has got me worried.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I think on tonights showing we should be looking to stay up, nothing more. Barnes is utter shit. Add Dicker and Harley to that too.

Gus has NO idea what to do when we go 0-1 down.

Doncaster, Leeds, Millwall, Cardiff, Watford and Birmingham we came from 1+ nill down to grab at least a point...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Not insulted by you mate. Just some on here reply with useless remarks without entering into any type of debate on things.

I guess it all comes down to how you feel about sporting achievement. If we truly are f***ing brilliant then we should be able to show that at all times, especially against lower league opposition. I appreciate that anything can happen in football, but I guess I expect a high standard all the time which is unrealistic.

Still think with more performances like that we will struggle. Guess tonight just needs to be our worst performance of the season and we are OK
Thats the problem with NSC mate. About 95% of posts tonight are people shooting down anyone who dares critize a 3-0 defeat against lower league opposition, without actually putting any view across. A lot are putting down as a one off result, dispute us looking no different to last year, where our recent record now stands at 3 away wins in 23, the last coming in February. I honestly think though (as I have been bleating all week) we would struggle this season if Poyet refused to change formation and the way we play. I am now worried about our season if he refuses to change. I don't think for one second we will go down, because I know Tony Bloom won't let it go that far, but unless Poyet has something up his sleeve to surprise us all, this season will be over before it starts.

Hopefully we will go and smash Hull on Saturday, but I'll be delighted with a point, but I see us getting turned over 2 or 3 nil again. Teams love playing against our system. As Swindon proved, just wait, let us knock it around at the back for half an hour without doing any damage, then pick us off, doesn't win you games, as tonight proved. I counted two shots on target, against f***ing Swindon. Somethings got to give sooner or later, because this sort of shit cant continue much longer. Yes, I know we haven't kicked of the league campagin yet, but tonight was a carry over from last season, and as I said over the weekend, if this carries on much longer, I can see the crowd turning on Poyet very quickly. You can take defeat, but when you are served up the same shit game after game after game, for f*** sake Gus, pull your head out your arse and f***ing do something about it. We are just wondering around like a flock of lost sheep. It's been proved that its very easy to set up against our system. Any championship manager who loses to us at home to that system, deserves to be f***ing shot.

Gus has got to get a result Saturday, even if its a defeat but a battling defeat. We get turned over fair to easily away from home, and if we can only muster two shots on target against league one opposition after the run in we had last season, I don't hold out much hope for us. Poyet has to change the system. Simple as that. It works with the right players. he doesn't have them. He's not going to have them this season. He has to get over it and set up a system that suits the players, not a system that the players cannot play, and as much as I wish he does, I don't think he's willing to.

If this carries on for another 10 games, like it did at the end of the last season, I honestly think he'll be gone. And IF that does happen, and I really wish it doesn't, I think it'll be hard for anyone to defend him.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Poyet set it up different at Hull. They'll be ready for us. Give them a surprise and something to think about. I really hope he's got something up his sleeve.............

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If we hadn't finish last season with one win in ten, I'd completely agree with you.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Very true but our away league performance last year was far from ideal, and this was a continuation of our poor away form as far as I can see. That's what has got me worried.

But we didn't play the same way we played away last season though, in the terrible away games last season we just resorted to either passing it between the two CBs and then lumping it long. However unthreatening to Swindon, we were still making passing movements, we just never looked like we wanted to score.

Also if our fullbacks can pull out long shots like that every match, we may see a fair few more lange goals this season, something that was very scarce last season when we seemed reluctant to shoot from outside the box.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Thats the problem with NSC mate. About 95% of posts tonight are people shooting down anyone who dares critize a 3-0 defeat against lower league opposition, without actually putting any view across. A lot are putting down as a one off result, dispute us looking no different to last year, where our recent record now stands at 3 away wins in 23, the last coming in February. I honestly think though (as I have been bleating all week) we would struggle this season if Poyet refused to change formation and the way we play. I am now worried about our season if he refuses to change. I don't think for one second we will go down, because I know Tony Bloom won't let it go that far, but unless Poyet has something up his sleeve to surprise us all, this season will be over before it starts.

Hopefully we will go and smash Hull on Saturday, but I'll be delighted with a point, but I see us getting turned over 2 or 3 nil again. Teams love playing against our system. As Swindon proved, just wait, let us knock it around at the back for half an hour without doing any damage, then pick us off, doesn't win you games, as tonight proved. I counted two shots on target, against f***ing Swindon. Somethings got to give sooner or later, because this sort of shit cant continue much longer. Yes, I know we haven't kicked of the league campagin yet, but tonight was a carry over from last season, and as I said over the weekend, if this carries on much longer, I can see the crowd turning on Poyet very quickly. You can take defeat, but when you are served up the same shit game after game after game, for f*** sake Gus, pull your head out your arse and f***ing do something about it. We are just wondering around like a flock of lost sheep. It's been proved that its very easy to set up against our system. Any championship manager who loses to us at home to that system, deserves to be f***ing shot.

Gus has got to get a result Saturday, even if its a defeat but a battling defeat. We get turned over fair to easily away from home, and if we can only muster two shots on target against league one opposition after the run in we had last season, I don't hold out much hope for us. Poyet has to change the system. Simple as that. It works with the right players. he doesn't have them. He's not going to have them this season. He has to get over it and set up a system that suits the players, not a system that the players cannot play, and as much as I wish he does, I don't think he's willing to.

If this carries on for another 10 games, like it did at the end of the last season, I honestly think he'll be gone. And IF that does happen, and I really wish it doesn't, I think it'll be hard for anyone to defend him.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Poyet set it up different at Hull. They'll be ready for us. Give them a surprise and something to think about. I really hope he's got something up his sleeve.............

As much as it pains me to say this, I do agree with a lot of what you have said.

I absolutely adore the "tika taka" style of football that Gus wants the team to play. When it works it is sublime, and it makes the "beautiful game" actually genuinely beautiful.

That being said it appears that this is our only style of play. It is fine to stroke the ball around in defence if you can then move forward with purpose. 2 shots against Swindon away is simply not good enough. I also went away to Watford last season, and that was equally as bad as tonight. We put in a clueless performance against Forest at the Amex and jammed 3 points, but as you have said I feel the system doesn't work as much as it does.

We are found out in this league, and there doesn't seem to be a plan B. There is also a distinct lack of end product, and the same old leaks in defence despite Bridge and Bruno coming in who are both clearly class defenders.

Perhaps a more direct style is required. I don't mean hoof ball, I mean moving the ball forwards more quickly and trying to use the pace the team has to exploit gaps. Get CMS on and pass the ball into him behind the defence. He loves that and will revel in it.

Something does need to happen though, as I fear a kicking at Hull just like you do.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
As much as it pains me to say this, I do agree with a lot of what you have said.

I absolutely adore the "tika taka" style of football that Gus wants the team to play. When it works it is sublime, and it makes the "beautiful game" actually genuinely beautiful.

That being said it appears that this is our only style of play. It is fine to stroke the ball around in defence if you can then move forward with purpose. 2 shots against Swindon away is simply not good enough. I also went away to Watford last season, and that was equally as bad as tonight. We put in a clueless performance against Forest at the Amex and jammed 3 points, but as you have said I feel the system doesn't work as much as it does.

We are found out in this league, and there doesn't seem to be a plan B. There is also a distinct lack of end product, and the same old leaks in defence despite Bridge and Bruno coming in who are both clearly class defenders.

Perhaps a more direct style is required. I don't mean hoof ball, I mean moving the ball forwards more quickly and trying to use the pace the team has to exploit gaps. Get CMS on and pass the ball into him behind the defence. He loves that and will revel in it.

Something does need to happen though, as I fear a kicking at Hull just like you do.
Bruno and Bridge were the only positives tonight. Bruno in particular looks a class above. But our full backs seems to be our biggest threats!!! Says it all really.

As for CMS, again I hope not, but from what I hear he wants out. Shame, but if it is true you can hardly blame him. If you are a certain style of forward, and the manger will not play to your style, then you end up looking a bit of a ****, and CMS is looking a bit of a **** up front for us at times, and CMS is far for a ****!!! :lol:

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Bruno and Bridge were the only positives tonight. Bruno in particular looks a class above. But our full backs seems to be our biggest threats!!! Says it all really.

As for CMS, again I hope not, but from what I hear he wants out. Shame, but if it is true you can hardly blame him. If you are a certain style of forward, and the manger will not play to your style, then you end up looking a bit of a ****, and CMS is looking a bit of a **** up front for us at times, and CMS is far for a ****!!! :lol:

Yeah agreed. I love CMS and think he is a class act. We have just not played to his strengths at all, and given him very poor supply for most games.

Not sure Gus is willing to change the system for CMS though, so perhaps CMS out and we will get somebody in who can play the Gus way. Who that is tho I have no idea. And it isn't bloody Murray!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Yeah agreed. I love CMS and think he is a class act. We have just not played to his strengths at all, and given him very poor supply for most games.

Not sure Gus is willing to change the system for CMS though, so perhaps CMS out and we will get somebody in who can play the Gus way. Who that is tho I have no idea. And it isn't bloody Murray!
And thats Poyets downfall. He will change for CMS, but CMS is his goalscorer. Goals win you games, and we are not scoring enough, because we are not creating enough, and if Poyet won't change for his striker, then how can anyone judge him as a great manager. As for CMS out and bringing in a striker who could play in that system. I'm at a complete loss to think of a type of striker that would suit it!

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
And thats Poyets downfall. He will change for CMS, but CMS is his goalscorer. Goals win you games, and we are not scoring enough, because we are not creating enough, and if Poyet won't change for his striker, then how can anyone judge him as a great manager. As for CMS out and bringing in a striker who could play in that system. I'm at a complete loss to think of a type of striker that would suit it!

I still think Poyet is a quality manager, he just needs to bend a little and adjust his tactics a bit and we will be onto a winning formula.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I still think Poyet is a quality manager, he just needs to bend a little and adjust his tactics a bit and we will be onto a winning formula.
I've no doubt Poyet's got it in him to be a legend of a manager. I just fear he's to stubborn/arrogant to change things, even though they are clearly not working.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I just love predictions when not a ball in anger has been kicked yet in the league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here