Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 reasons I'm feeling deep liking and respect for Hughton

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Very good post and summary. Been backing Hughton for a long time, like many, to be judged after he's had a chance to put his squad together. Still not there yet - judge him after this season. All he needed to do last season was keep us up which he did.

Only thing I disagree on OP is you calling first 3 seasons at the Amex drab football!? Poyet had us playing some lovely stuff. Patient and possession based yes, but we made the play offs twice & pissed league 1 doing it! Something tells me you didn't see much of our previous attempts at the championship - under Hinshelwood & McGhee etc. Yes, a lot down to budget but my word let's not forget the Barca style brilliant football under Poyet, just because he's gone...

Hear, hear. It's a shame that because of the sour end some people seem to want to rewrite history. That League One winning season was AMAZING. Just superb. We won it at a canter, playing some brilliant stuff. 11 games in March you say? Oh well, better win them all. Then the Amex and the play offs....ok, let's just leave it there. Hugely enjoyable.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hear, hear. It's a shame that because of the sour end some people seem to want to rewrite history. That League One winning season was AMAZING. Just superb. We won it at a canter, playing some brilliant stuff. 11 games in March you say? Oh well, better win them all. Then the Amex and the play offs....ok, let's just leave it there. Hugely enjoyable.

Also mullered a Southampton team to the title that contained Rickie Lambert at a prime age, Adam LAllana (who I must admit stood out as the best player on the pitch when they beat us as Withers, Fonte etc etc

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He's a good manager, certainly. Thus far, I can't see that he's put a foot wrong:

Kept us in the division with a poor team.
Recognised weaknesses.
Competently strengthened those weaknesses.
Got us playing football again; good, positive, entertaining football.

His award is thoroughly deserved and I'd wager at least 10% of KLL award is actually Hughton's as well!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its early days this season, and I hope this great start to the season continues. My only note of caution is that everyone is basing their conclusions on the great game and performance against Ipswich. We have not had the toughest fixtures at the start of the season, and the other games that we won could have gone either way or a draw.

The board and CH have strengthened the squad well after the mistakes last season, but a 0-3 defeat by Hull in the next game will have this thread closed by lack of comments.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Very good post and summary. Been backing Hughton for a long time, like many, to be judged after he's had a chance to put his squad together. Still not there yet - judge him after this season. All he needed to do last season was keep us up which he did.

Only thing I disagree on OP is you calling first 3 seasons at the Amex drab football!? Poyet had us playing some lovely stuff. Patient and possession based yes, but we made the play offs twice & pissed league 1 doing it! Something tells me you didn't see much of our previous attempts at the championship - under Hinshelwood & McGhee etc. Yes, a lot down to budget but my word let's not forget the Barca style brilliant football under Poyet, just because he's gone...

You're right, I'm a 2011 JCL, I defer to you. And you're right, 'drab' was a poor choice of word, but I think after the excitement of 2011, games in the 2012 and 2013 seasons left one buzzing more because of decent results than because of the quality of the football, that's my recollection.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Its early days this season, and I hope this great start to the season continues. My only note of caution is that everyone is basing their conclusions on the great game and performance against Ipswich. We have not had the toughest fixtures at the start of the season, and the other games that we won could have gone either way or a draw.

The board and CH have strengthened the squad well after the mistakes last season, but a 0-3 defeat by Hull in the next game will have this thread closed by lack of comments.

33-1, get in! ; )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here