Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10 reasons I'm feeling deep liking and respect for Hughton

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He is absolutely a decent man, and even before he came here I wondered if he was tough enough, and hoped the game didn't chew him up, and spit him out.

Glad he's here, but I'm already a little sad that at some point - hopefully no time soon - he will fall out of favour here and fans will be calling for his head. Let's hope we can reach good heights before that happens.

That's a very good point, but I do not think he is going to get too much pressure from the board, certainly not in the short term. What is clear to me is that he knows what he is doing and is very flexible in his approach, which is what we need. He had one objective last year (to keep us up) and he managed it and he has one objective this year (to be completing at the top end again) and I am quietly confident that he will exceed it.

el punal

Shook hands with Chris Hughton when we played Brentford in the cup in January, he came across as a very likeable and approachable man. It was obvious to most (unfortunately not all) Albion fans that his brief was to ensure that we did not get relegated, despite the mind numbing performances, and concentrate on taking the team forward this season.

Well, in my view, he is starting to achieve this. Although it's still early days there is a confident swagger about the team, certainly not arrogance, that gives me the impression that they expect to win games rather than hope to.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That's a very good point, but I do not think he is going to get too much pressure from the board, certainly not in the short term. What is clear to me is that he knows what he is doing and is very flexible in his approach, which is what we need. He had one objective last year (to keep us up) and he managed it and he has one objective this year (to be completing at the top end again) and I am quietly confident that he will exceed it.

Indeed, was just thinking that managers rarely leave clubs on good terms, with the fans at least

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Glad he's here, but I'm already a little sad that at some point - hopefully no time soon - he will fall out of favour here and fans will be calling for his head. Let's hope we can reach good heights before that happens.

Bearing in mind that happened last season, I doubt you'll be waiting long!

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Fantastic appointment in my opinion, quite a few on were quick to say that we were to expect boring football from him, quite the contrary it appears. Then many were quick to call for his head after we struggled to find form at the end of the season, I'm very glad he stayed! His track record is proven, plays a simple yet effective formation and, as you rightly said, nobody has a bad word to say about him. I can't stand these managers who are quick to pick a fight (cough Jose cough), and it does them no favours.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
A good post and I'm largely in agreement with the OP and most of you. Two teeny notes of caution though...

We're all pretty excited off the back of our last performance but it is still too early to tell if that was an indication of what is to follow or if that was just one of those rare days when the stars aligned and everything clicked. It does happen. Ipswich at home last season for example.

Hughton's poachability factor. The view here seems to be that he's unwanted elsewhere. If he does what we all want him to do and gets us promoted then he automatically becomes very hot property indeed. Anybody taking little old us to the top flight is going to be sought after.

Onwards! I've still got very good vibes for this season.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Very much so, which makes it even more painful when he says "We was" rather than "We were"

I believe this is due to CH adjusting his answer as he goes --he is very adapt at changing the basis of a question when he is answering a direct challenge such as could the keeper do better on that occasion ---possibly he could but CH isn't the type to air his linen in public and so under the pressure of live questions he is always trying to plan the next word while speaking the current sentence , I don't think he will do a DK live on air
" I think Shrewsbury have a lovely LITTLE new ground " and then realised he'd been disrespectful and tried to dig himself out of it -- too late damage done !
seriously if all we can find fault with him is his correct use of English I will settle for that all day long
Im just glad we've stopped all that back passing and hanging on to the ball in our half --pretty football is only any good in the oppositions half---im chuffed we seem to be more direct and still hang on to the ball ----------seriously thinking first half at Fulham and Ipswich best Albion football since Mullery era --we owned the pitch --crikey impressive stuff

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The man has done something to Kaz. Whatever his technique was, the result could play a massive part in a potential promotion if Kaz keeps up his form & goalscoring (although he would probably be nabbed in January by a PL club if that were to happen).

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
A mate of mine at work who is a Spurs fan, said when we signed CH that he would do us alright, he's a good man and a good manager. I was unsure last season but I think I am beginning to believe.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That team had no fight in it, 1-0 down under Poyet and I could of rushed to the bookies and gone large on a draw or a loss.
I doubt you'd have got great odds. I'm not sure it's because we had no fight, we just found it difficult to break down opposing teams who parked the bus. We played well, and teams came to the Amex with the plan to defend. We've only had 5 games this season and our style is new for us, so other teams haven't been ready for it. In time they might find a better way to play against us, as Fulham and Ipswich did in the second halves.

Garyh

May 28, 2013
I met CH at the kit sponsors meal at the end of last season and I have to say he was a total gentleman, I have the utmost respect for him

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was delighted with his appointment but he was actually my 2nd choice...... Sadly to many dicks on here judged him to early purely based on last seasons performances. ..........i was always prepared to judge him after he had time to build his own squad while shifting out the crap........... Far better than anyting under Garcia or Hyypia.

Hughton was my first choice last summer by the way.

I agree that we shouldn't judge a manager purely based on last seasons performances.

So judging a manager after he has had time to build his own squad whilst sifting through the crap only applies to Hughton? I do have an understanding that you have an overwhelming desire, at every opportunity, to stick the boot in on managers who never had that luxury.

You are so inconsistent in your principles that if you wrote your own rule book on them, the readers would be left drowning in contradiction and mittigating circumstances. I don't think you can see it though :shrug:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Hughton's poachability factor. The view here seems to be that he's unwanted elsewhere. If he does what we all want him to do and gets us promoted then he automatically becomes very hot property indeed. Anybody taking little old us to the top flight is going to be sought after.

True, but he was out of work for a while before us, presumably as he wanted to find the right club for perhaps his last hurrah. He has a very supportive chairman and board here, who will not put him under undue pressure. He is not a young, ambitious manager using us as a stepping stone, rather an experience manager towards the end of his career looking for a decent project to work on. All things going reasonably well, I can see him here for a long time and I very much doubt he would jump ship unless he was forced to.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I thought the general opinion on here was. He is dull, plays boring football, 4-4-2 is out dated, he is a dinosaur and he is not flair or foreign so as such must be shit...How times change, some of us however advacated getting this sort of manager in after Poyet left and the abuse we got...Where are they now?

Last edited:

Baldie1002

Jan 9, 2013
Pulborough, West Sussex
I thought the general opinion on here was. He is dull, plays boring football, 4-4-2 is out dated, he is a dinosaur and he is not flair or foreign so as such must be shit...How times change, some of us however advacated getting this sort of manager in after Poyet left and the abuse we got...Where are they now?

Those people are hiding in the shadows, deep down inside hoping that CH fails so they can say "I told you so" most likely.

I remember people slating people here on the forums for suggesting managers like CH and Malky Mackay but in actual fact I think managers like CH are always going to be your best bet, because of the experience and know how of what to expect in the Championship.

Yes the championship if a very difficult and consistently random league, but you'll always tip certain teams to be up there in the top 6 come February/March time in the season, that being said if you've got a manager at the helm, who has brought Championship teams up to the premier league before, then I think you've got that extra bit of guile and grit to see you through a rainy Tuesday night away game in January.

Long may Hughton reign especially if this form is anything to go by.

SEAGULLS!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Those people are hiding in the shadows, deep down inside hoping that CH fails so they can say "I told you so" most likely.
How very true!

I'm in agreement with most of this thread - Hughton was my number 1 choice, and I'm happy with the way things are going. One little note of caution - wasn't it about this time last year, after two successive wins, including a particularly good one against Leeds, that NSC was bubbling over with enthusiasm for yet another run to the play-offs at least? My feeling, though, is that we won't implode this season - just hope I'm right.

And the sad thing of course is the fact that at some time in the future, CH will almost certainly be sacked, probably with the complete backing of NSC for him to go.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wanted Brian McDermott as manager but was very, very happy with Hughton when he was appointed. Similar temperament, both quiet no-nonsense chaps and I've said it before but I'm extremely proud to have Hughton in charge of us.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Opto, IMO our first three seasons at Falmer were characterised by rather drab football (in the main) despite finishing well. Honestly I'd rather watch us play fabulous football in this league and finish 10th than play dull football to make the play-offs.

The football under Poyet especially the 2012/13 season was the comfortably the best I've ever seen played by the Albion in close to 30 years. I love the patient possession based style we played so brilliantly under him, so nice to see our full backs play the ball into midfield rather than lumping up the channel to a big number 9 which I grew up with.

I enjoy watching the Albion win and this season has been great so far, albeit early days we are a little more direct but thats resulting in more shots at goal and chances created which I can't complain about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here