Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10-game ban and 50-loyalty point deduction

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More thinking of 16-18 year olds, they couldn't accumulate points as much now, I only have my points because I went to games in the championship and league one, when it was easy to get tickets, and you could quite easily gain points, as every game was attainable, the vast majority of the 20-30s you see at games have been ones who have been there since the championship. If you are a 16-18 year-old with no disposable income, and parents that aren't willing to help you go to away games you get left out, there's no junior seagulls coach these days, this is a lot of the people I see buying the tickets off people on social media. I know man city have a ballot for 24 and under for 20% of their tickets so its not the same people staying at the top of the loyalty point pile and there is a way in. At Arsenal they don't have anything and if you are a child of parents who have no real interest away tickets are near on impossible as there is not really a way into the system.
That doesn’t stack up - loyalty points you gained in the Championship aren’t worth much at all - points are halved every year, so even if you had 200 extra points when we got promoted those were worth 6 points at the start of this season.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Takes me back - a group of us 12/13 year olds did the Priestfield years via coach, from memory less than £15 a head for the day (coach £5, food £5, match ticket £5)
I think the issue for me that I see is that coach travel is now no longer affordable to games. That used to be the cheap option for me at least when I was that age to attempt the long games. Now when we play Wolves (£51), Liverpool (£60) and Middlesbrough (£65) you are using up your disposable income on just one game, and for a lot of people they won't have parents that will help with the price.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
That doesn’t stack up - loyalty points you gained in the Championship aren’t worth much at all - points are halved every year, so even if you had 200 extra points when we got promoted those were worth 6 points at the start of this season.
I've explained in a previous post, why this is the case. Its not as simple as those actual point, it does at times seem a closed shop for those who weren't already involved before the Championship.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've explained in a previous post, why this is the case. Its not as simple as those actual point, it does at times seem a closed shop for those who weren't already involved before the Championship.
Really don’t think it is. A handful of games sell out v quickly, but plenty of opportunities for anyone to grow their LPs if they really want to.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Really don’t think it is. A handful of games sell out v quickly, but plenty of opportunities for anyone to grow their LPs if they really want to.
Yes I've discussed there is plenty of ways for some people to grow their points, but for young people who can't travel further north than London for various reasons there is blockers. Anyone over the age of 23 has plenty of ample opportunity to grow those LPs, and travel if they are younger I think it only really benefits a certain demographic of 16-23 Y/Os, and they struggle to attend many away games in the London area.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Whilst I feel a certain amount of pity for 16/18 year olds that can't go are people really suggesting they should have an advantage over those that have been going for years, even when everything about the club was shit. Their time will come. Away support is very different now. Even in the championship you could pretty much guarantee getting a ticket for any away game until that last season. Now there is a finite supply and a demand that generally exceeds that. The loyalty scheme isn't perfect but I'm not aware of a better one. People do work their way up through the tiers.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Whilst I feel a certain amount of pity for 16/18 year olds that can't go are people really suggesting they should have an advantage over those that have been going for years, even when everything about the club was shit. Their time will come. Away support is very different now. Even in the championship you could pretty much guarantee getting a ticket for any away game until that last season. Now there is a finite supply and a demand that generally exceeds that. The loyalty scheme isn't perfect but I'm not aware of a better one. People do work their way up through the tiers.
No I agree, people going for years do deserve to, but I think maybe the club could have an initiative to help some younger supporters get to more games, such as when there is a surplus, why not do something like a special coach, I don't know the answers but its just an idea, I think the club could lose these fans to other activities/clubs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes I've discussed there is plenty of ways for some people to grow their points, but for young people who can't travel further north than London for various reasons there is blockers. Anyone over the age of 23 has plenty of ample opportunity to grow those LPs, and travel if they are younger I think it only really benefits a certain demographic of 16-23 Y/Os, and they struggle to attend many away games in the London area.
You see plenty of youngsters at all away games. They'll just have to wait their turn. There are plenty of things in life that younger people can't afford now like they used to, for example buying a house!!! Times have changed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No I agree, people going for years do deserve to, but I think maybe the club could have an initiative to help some younger supporters get to more games, such as when there is a surplus, why not do something like a special coach, I don't know the answers but its just an idea, I think the club could lose these fans to other activities/clubs.
I don't really see us losing fans though. During the doldrums, you never saw any kids in Brighton shirts and that has totally changed over the last 10 years.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I don't really see us losing fans though. During the doldrums, you never saw any kids in Brighton shirts and that has totally changed over the last 10 years.
I think we risk losing a lot to non-league as its affordable, its much easier to get season tickets now compared to even when we were in the championship. Maybe I speak to more people that age, but a fair amount are being tempted over to the non-league game.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My sons after school football club is run by Crawley Town FC and we’ve been given complimentary tickets to watch Crawley vs Hartlepool this Friday night, which we will probably go to.

However part of me is thinking what happens if he prefers it as it’s only 15 mins away in the car vs a 30 mins drive to Burgess Hill then another 35-40 on a coach to the Amex.

Hopefully quality will play through and I’ve done enough at the Albion club shop this Xmas to keep him loyal!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My sons after school football club is run by Crawley Town FC and we’ve been given complimentary tickets to watch Crawley vs Hartlepool this Friday night, which we will probably go to.

However part of me is thinking what happens if he prefers it as it’s only 15 mins away in the car vs a 30 mins drive to Burgess Hill then another 35-40 on a coach to the Amex.

Hopefully quality will play through and I’ve done enough at the Albion club shop this Xmas to keep him loyal!
Crawley v H’pool, or Holland v Argentina?? Now let me think🤔

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I think we risk losing a lot to non-league as its affordable, its much easier to get season tickets now compared to even when we were in the championship. Maybe I speak to more people that age, but a fair amount are being tempted over to the non-league game.
I'm not sure I agree with you there. 15 yr old Jnr has friends who are STH due to their parents & for some of them BHA is still their 2nd team. Jnr has been to see a Whitehawk game and loved it but if I were to say to him we could go to 5 Whitehawk games or 1 BHA game (due to cost) he'd take the Brighton game. He saw his 1st game at the Amex 10 years ago, nothing is going to make him want to see any other team play for the sake of seeing a football game. He supports Brighton.
I'm thinking of taking him to the Charlton game as it's the only away game we're likely be able to get to, (the cost is to much to go to the ones that go to purchase history) but by the time you've included food, train fare etc. I'm still weighing up 1 away game or 2 home. He wants a 1/2 season ticket for Xmas but no way am I letting him go on his own. Maybe it's just my Jnr but it's Brighton or nothing. :shrug:
Re the OP, the 10 match ban is harsh & doesn't fit the crime. No STH is going to say 'yeah take my ticket as I'm 'only' risking a 3 match ban'. I'm saying that as a non STH who would like the chance to get to away games, 10 games just seems unnecessary.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'm not sure I agree with you there. 15 yr old Jnr has friends who are STH due to their parents & for some of them BHA is still their 2nd team. Jnr has been to see a Whitehawk game and loved it but if I were to say to him we could go to 5 Whitehawk games or 1 BHA game (due to cost) he'd take the Brighton game. He saw his 1st game at the Amex 10 years ago, nothing is going to make him want to see any other team play for the sake of seeing a football game. He supports Brighton.
I'm thinking of taking him to the Charlton game as it's the only away game we're likely be able to get to, (the cost is to much to go to the ones that go to purchase history) but by the time you've included food, train fare etc. I'm still weighing up 1 away game or 2 home. He wants a 1/2 season ticket for Xmas but no way am I letting him go on his own. Maybe it's just my Jnr but it's Brighton or nothing. :shrug:
Re the OP, the 10 match ban is harsh & doesn't fit the crime. No STH is going to say 'yeah take my ticket as I'm 'only' risking a 3 match ban'. I'm saying that as a non STH who would like the chance to get to away games, 10 games just seems unnecessary.
Yes that's fair, but some parents may not take their child, or don't encourage them, I think those who are floating and don't have parental encouragement or funding will be more tempted by the local non-league sides. I see a lot of sussex teams who have 'ultras' who are mainly kids who just got bored of not be able to get a ticket for an established side, so turned to non-league. Its just what I see personally amongst quite a few my age and below.

Its ten home games also, including all matches in-between as well so is more like 6 month ban, its far too harsh.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I'll see for myself tomorrow. Three of us heading to their game with Ebbsfleet. One mate born in Gravesend so Ebbsfleet are his local club, one living in Worthing and me! Can't wait tbh.

How was it?? See what I meant about the young fans they've got?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here