Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£10 for 10 hours parking in Brighton

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I hope the Greens are booted out next year both locally and the MP. They have been crap. I'm still angry by the way they have built up the Open Market with yet more flats the area doesn't need. It makes a joke out of their supposed 'green' policies. :ffsparr:

Exactly what planet are you on? 18,000 people are on the housing waiting list!! Most of those are local people.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The government cuts financing to the city, deeper and longer than any other administration in the south east (a fact, not an opinion), meaning the city has to finance itself in other ways - and you call them 'money-grabbing'?

You really don't know what you're on about.

They are money grabbers due to doubling the seafront parking charges from £10 to £20 and increasing city centre charges to a minimum of £3.50 per hour. I know what I'm talking about thank you.
You convince yourself you do likewise but I'm not sure your correct, if I remember correctly you don't even own a car do you?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The government cuts financing to the city, deeper and longer than any other administration in the south east (a fact, not an opinion), meaning the city has to finance itself in other ways - and you call them 'money-grabbing'?

You really don't know what you're on about.

Come on - that's very simplistic. As well you know revenue from parking operations can only be used on a very limited range of services / projects. Given the transport budget has grown every year under all administrations and that there is a £16m 'profit'. Of that 'profit' around £10m is used on bus passes for the elderly. The rest is a significant sum and hasn't been affected by government cuts.

Is it right that that there is a £6m excess after legal required costs ? If it were used to improve roads as well as cycle lanes, 20mph limits etc then possibly. But it isn't. For starters, resident permit parking charges were meant to only cover the cost of running the permit scheme i.e. not to produce an excess. If it does only cover the costs then fine but it does then raise the question as to how inefficient the council scheme is. After all, Bristol run an almost identical scheme ( also claiming to only cover the costs ) and permits cost HALF of what ours do. If the B&H scheme does create an excess then the permit prices should be reduced.

Parking costs in B&H are far too high, illogical in their scaling ( London Road car park is a good example ) and the street meters should allow you to get a pro-rota'ed time - i.e. if it's a pound an hour and you only put in 50p then you get 30 minutes rather than having to pay for the whole hour regardless. All over France their meters do this - I can only assume our council don't do this because they are desperate to grab peoples money. It would be an easy software upgrade to the meters and if rolled out at the next price increase would cost almost nothing to implement.

Sadly, B&H Council ( of whatever colour ) see motorists as cash cows and will never change.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Come To Worthing!!!
(might have got this wrong), but think the council have got rid of NCP, and taken over the parking.
Happy days, £1 an hour, plus deals for workers/ all day parking,
(would still never vote Tory tho')

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't think there is any denying that the council see motorists as being anything but a valuable source of income.

However, they know they can charge £15 or whatever, as those prices match and are less than what a car full of people will pay for trains or buses or taxis.

The best solution, quality of life wise, would be to build a park and ride system suitable, akin to somewhere like Oxford, but there is no urgency when people are still willing to pay such ridiculous prices.

As soon as people stop paying them, maybe something will change.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I hope the Greens are booted out next year both locally and the MP. They have been crap. I'm still angry by the way they have built up the Open Market with yet more flats the area doesn't need.. It makes a joke out of their supposed 'green' policies. :ffsparr:

Surely if the City doesn't need more housing they will stay empty. ???? Or are you just attempting to hijack this PARKING thread to make some Party Political Point? If so open another thread with that purpose, so we can all avoid it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Surely if the City doesn't need more housing they will stay empty. ???? Or are you just attempting to hijack this PARKING thread to make some Party Political Point? If so open another thread with that purpose, so we can all avoid it.

There both relevant, if your going to have build more housing then the road/ parking infrastructure will also be needed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Jesus wept - words fail me. 'The area doesn't need more flats?' The city is short of 24,000 houses, and you claim more housing isn't needed?

Another one who really doesn't know what they're on about. :facepalm:

Who / what decides there is a short fall?
I assume you know as your self proclaiming your the only one "that's knows what they are on about"

Is the there a housing waiting list of 96,000 people?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
OK, let's take my situation. Work in central Brighton and I mix my transport to work between bus ( expensive ), driving ( expensive parking ), walking / cycling ( ok in nice weather but not in the depths of winter. So the council are purposely trying to make excessive money out of people that can't use the cheap 9 hour charge. I'm sure as hell not paying £50 for a whole weeks parking when a) I might not use it due to my transport mix b) I probably won't use it a couple of days a week when I visit clients elsewhere in the country. Rip off, rip off, rip off.

So how do you think that will change if the Greens are kicked out next May?! What percentage reduction do you think either a Tory or a Labour led administration will reduce these same parking fees by?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Come To Worthing!!!
(might have got this wrong), but think the council have got rid of NCP, and taken over the parking.
Happy days, £1 an hour, plus deals for workers/ all day parking,
(would still never vote Tory tho')

The deal for workers in Worthing is a capped rate of £4.

The only problem is you can't drive anywhere at lunchtime, as even with number plate recognition it charges £4 each time, so you end up paying £8 for the day!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Who / what decides there is a short fall?
I assume you know as your self proclaiming your the only one "that's knows what they are on about"

Is the there a housing waiting list of 96,000 people?

I pick my information up from the myriad of public sources out there - on a local and national level - all of which are online.

Try looking them up.

24,000 houses appears to be an slight exaggeration - the number is between 16,000-20,000. Here's a report from one of those sources...

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/a...tor-advises-brighton-increase-housing-targets

If you can't be arsed to read it, it says that the National Planning Inspector, going through the Draft Local Plan, needs for Brighton to look again at the plans it needs to have for 16,000-20,000 homes, when the plan only accounts for 11,300 new homes. It criticises neighbouring councils (specifically Mid-Sussex District Council) for not co-operating with Brighton & Hove - at a time when Brighton & Hove is co-operating with them - and for BHCC to look at other 'land grabs' (with the worry being public green spaces and allotment sites may be sought) in order to fulfill the city's needs for 2030.

Last edited:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
None. Seeing as they voted them through.

And you are, of course, correct - because what many seem to forget is that it is a minority Green administration and we very rarely hear from Tory or Labour about grand plans to reduce parking charges or remove 20mph or remove bus lanes LARGELY because the Tory/Labour axis brought these things in in the first place!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So how do you think that will change if the Greens are kicked out next May?! What percentage reduction do you think either a Tory or a Labour led administration will reduce these same parking fees by?

I'm not aware I've even implied that kicking out the Greens will resolve the issue, of course it won't. Not one party wants to kill the cash cow. There were murmurings about free Sunday parking and reducing the charges in some council owned car parks from the Tories but I don't think they were particularly serious about it.

There are plenty of reasons why the Greens need kicking out next May ( one being the ridiculous hike in seafront parking charges under their tenure ) but kicking them out won't reduce the parking charges.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I'm not aware I've even implied that kicking out the Greens will resolve the issue, of course it won't. Not one party wants to kill the cash cow. There were murmurings about free Sunday parking and reducing the charges in some council owned car parks from the Tories but I don't think they were particularly serious about it.

There are plenty of reasons why the Greens need kicking out next May ( one being the ridiculous hike in seafront parking charges under their tenure ) but kicking them out won't reduce the parking charges.

But you have a line in your posts that tells us the Greens are 'money-grabbing morons' which gives the distinct impression that you believe the other parties will be different - something you now say you don't think will be the case!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
But you have a line in your posts that tells us the Greens are 'money-grabbing morons' which gives the distinct impression that you believe the other parties will be different - something you now say you don't think will be the case!!

That doesn't refer to parking. Amongst other things it refers to their attempt to increase allotment fees significantly, increase council tax by stupid amounts and increase the fees to use council owned sports facilities like football pitches.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I pick my information up from the myriad of public sources out there - on a local and national level - all of which are online.

Try looking them up.

24,000 houses appears to be an slight exaggeration - the number is between 16,000-20,000. Here's a report from one of those sources...

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/a...tor-advises-brighton-increase-housing-targets

If you can't be arsed to read it, it says that the National Planning Inspector, going through the Draft Local Plan, needs for Brighton to look again at the plans it needs to have for 16,000-20,000 homes, when the plan only accounts for 11,300 new homes. It criticises neighbouring councils (specifically Mid-Sussex District Council) for not co-operating with Brighton & Hove - at a time when Brighton & Hove is co-operating with them - and for BHCC to look at other 'land grabs' (with the worry being public green spaces and allotment sites may be sought) in order to fulfill the city's needs for 2030.

Thanks for that, my concerns would be all the associated needs that go with this, increased capacity for the sewer system and additional resivoir needed along with the roads and parking required for the inhabitants of these new houses and the additional
Burden on the already crowded roads in Brighton.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
That doesn't refer to parking. Amongst other things it refers to their attempt to increase allotment fees significantly, increase council tax by stupid amounts and increase the fees to use council owned sports facilities like football pitches.

Whilst all of those do unfortunately impact on ordinary people are you not aware of the MASSIVE financial cuts imposed by central government on local authourities?!
And further cuts that will make things worse?!!
Do you REALLY think the Greens would impose such unpopular measures unless they maybe needed to raise additional funding for other services?

Do you not think that just maybe your ire should be directed at the political parties that bear a large part of the responsibility of getting us into this economic mess rather than this Green-led administration that has to carry out some unpopular measures through no fault of theirs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here