Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 1% Pay Rise for Nurses.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the hardship I know of so many people in last year I have considered during this time financially all those working for public services including nurses have a lot to be thankful for in that income and jobs not effected

Fair point - but probably not a popular one on here!

Probably about as popular as the government changing its mind and awarding a substantial pay rise for nurses (and all other NHS staff), funded by a penny in the pound increase on all the income tax bands.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As you say, nurses do it for the love, and then the money.

I know 4 nurses, they all have money to burn and they are also all on very good pensions.

Not many people have those benefits at the moment.

Unions are just stirring it again, no surprise there.

Labour are using aggressive fighting words to spread more hate, with the its 'like being kicked in the face' as spewed out of the ineffective Ashworth.

I suppose they are getting desperate about their poll ratings.

Pmsl. Where to start.

FFS. :nono:

D

Deleted member 22389

With the hardship I know of so many people in last year I have considered during this time financially all those working for public services including nurses have a lot to be thankful for in that income and jobs not effected

:thumbsup:

That's what I said to my wife who works in teaching. Sometimes people need to focus on the good things.

There are so many people living on the edge because of this bloody virus. Is the 1% shit? Yes, but it's better than nothing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fair point - but probably not a popular one on here!

Probably about as popular as the government changing its mind and awarding a substantial pay rise for nurses (and all other NHS staff), funded by a penny in the pound increase on all the income tax bands.
I'd pay it and I'm sure more people would than you think.

But there is no need - we can just take it from all that money we saved by leaving the EU.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Aside from the fact that I think you might be out of step with the public mood on this, you are also missing a crucial point:

If these people can't have a sensible pay rise in a year where they have been absolutely critical to this country, when can they have one? People have short memories, and this time next year after Covid has been in decline for several months, they won't get treble the pay rise just because they were so critical 2 years beforehand that people were on their doorsteps clapping. I'll point you at the example of the firemen about 10 years ago who were barely given a rise over a period of nearly a decade. Then suddenly they threatened to go on strike because their pay was so low. Well who's fault's that? If you don't fight for what you're worth year on year on year, it's not fair to expect any government to give the money tree a shake and make up 10 years of under pay in a single budget.

The fireman dispute was nearly 20 years ago :eek:

The issue around their dispute wasn't just pay though, it was about ways of working more specifically their work patterns. This was a mute point being most then couldn't do their cash in hand window cleaning rounds. :)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As you say, nurses do it for the love, and then the money.

I know 4 nurses, they all have money to burn and they are also all on very good pensions.

Not many people have those benefits at the moment.

Unions are just stirring it again, no surprise there.

Labour are using aggressive fighting words to spread more hate, with the its 'like being kicked in the face' as spewed out of the ineffective Ashworth.

I suppose they are getting desperate about their poll ratings.

You do realise that nurses also have to pay for their own training. This is how much we 'value' people in that profession.

1% would have been an insult even before this pandemic and it would probably have been all they would have been offered then.

Unfortunately, with our NHS workers and teachers we fall back on the argument that they 'care' about their patients and pupils more than the money. That might be true, but it doesn't mean they should be fairly rewarded.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

So one person shouldn't get a pay rise because someone else has lost out? Is that how it works now?

And to say NHS jobs haven't been affected by the pandemic is probably the most short sighted view I've seen on this entire thread. Why did we clap them if it was business as usual?
My wife wasn't wearing proper PPE whilst going house to house as a community nurse for weeks at the start of this. What a load of rubbish.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Aside from the fact that I think you might be out of step with the public mood on this, you are also missing a crucial point:

If these people can't have a sensible pay rise in a year where they have been absolutely critical to this country, when can they have one? People have short memories, and this time next year after Covid has been in decline for several months, they won't get treble the pay rise just because they were so critical 2 years beforehand that people were on their doorsteps clapping. I'll point you at the example of the firemen about 10 years ago who were barely given a rise over a period of nearly a decade. Then suddenly they threatened to go on strike because their pay was so low. Well who's fault's that? If you don't fight for what you're worth year on year on year, it's not fair to expect any government to give the money tree a shake and make up 10 years of under pay in a single budget.

I think you’re ignoring the fact that at no time on this thread have I suggested they shouldn’t get a pay rise,in fact I suggested a tax free bounty in addition to a inflation linked pay rise.

I think that in itself is a pass for you to move on and find somebody else for the role of Mr Nasty on this thread [emoji106]

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Insulting wage rise for the NHS.

And has as been pointed out, it wasn't announced. It was buried in a 1000 page document. Sunak said he's levelling with us at the same time as burying this deep. Coward.

I understand that the national finances are screwed.

I'll happily vote for a party which proposes to raise income tax, as i'm happy to put in for this and to clear the national debt we've accumulated

Personally I'd like to have an NHS tax come directly out of my wages. It would put many of the arguments to bed and make health spending more transparent.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You do realise that nurses also have to pay for their own training. This is how much we 'value' people in that profession.

Can you provide me with a link please?

4a3f1aedd95bc6e2de3e3f6dea1466bd.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Marina Hyde's on absolute fire with this IMHO

How many nurses' salaries does it take to redecorate Downing Street?

It’s the standard unit of measurement for top football signings – and can be usefully applied to political expenditure too

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-salaries-redecorate-downing-street-political

Furthermore, please don’t look for other ways in which to put the offer of £3.50 a week to NHS nurses in perspective. You’re not supposed to consider things in these terms. It’s like comparing apples and sociopaths. Certainly don’t go back to the revealing days of the MPs’ expenses scandal, when there were Conservative MPs who literally spent twice as much on saucepans for their second homes as the sum by which the government is now proposing to increase the average annual nursing salary. Most likely those very pans were taken out on the doorstep during a Clap for Carers, and beaten most sincerely. (“I am also very proud to support a local company, which makes these gorgeous wooden spoons from recycled duck houses.”)

Don’t even consider percentage pay rises as something that can be talked about like-for-like. Even if it was belatedly revealed before Christmas that Dominic Cummings had been awarded a near 50% pay rise, in a year in which his most significant contribution was undermining the government’s entire public health message in the middle of a deadly pandemic, and battering trust in political elites in a manner that endures long after he swaggered out of the front door of No 10 with a box containing his spare trackie bums and the business section of the airport bookshop.

Above all, please try to lose sight of the fact that the NHS pay news came in the same week it was reported that Boris Johnson and his partner had come up with a ruse to redecorate Downing Street which would not require them dipping into their own pockets. (The prime minister is very pushed for cash, as friends of the prime minister have repeatedly told the newspapers over the past year.)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you’re ignoring the fact that at no time on this thread have I suggested they shouldn’t get a pay rise,in fact I suggested a tax free bounty in addition to a inflation linked pay rise.

I think that in itself is a pass for you to move on and find somebody else for the role of Mr Nasty on this thread [emoji106]

I know you did because I think I liked the post where you suggested it! I'm not remotely suggesting you're the Mr Nasty here, I merely said I felt you are misjudging the public mood when you proposed asking those people who have lost jobs and income. Not everyone who has suffered these things will think "bloody nurses should be gratefully to have a job at all".

Well Mouldy Boots has, but he is a laughable government lickspittle. Most normal people with a sense of justice will disagree I think.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Personally I'd like to have an NHS tax come directly out of my wages. It would put many of the arguments to bed and make health spending more transparent.

There are three main problems with hypothecated taxes that I can immediately think of:

1. If you allow one hypothecated tax, you have conceded the principle. In 10 years there'll be 100.
2. The practise makes it easier to allow tax payers to create an argument that they shouldn't have to/don't want to pay a particular tax. eg: pensioners saying they don't use schools so shouldn't have to pay for them, pacifists saying they don't want to pay for defence, others saying they don't want to pay for foreign aid etc. ad infinitum
3. The Gov't would have to account for their expenditure against each tax raised. While the tax payer would likely appreciate this, the Gov't (any Gov't) would not!

Never going to happen, imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here