Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Europe and Champions League Final free to watch

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can’t argue with any of that, Spurs were poor for all their huffing and puffing. Liverpool weren’t much better but deserved it. Uninspiring final and certainly won’t stay in the memory long. Spurs are a well run club but definitely need a freshen up.

Yeah, we didn’t show up and that’s the regret the players that won’t reach another final will have to live with.

4/5 players needed in the summer

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I slept through most of the game.
But for the bits that I did manage to open an eye for I was pleasantly surprised and encouraged by just how multicultural the Liverpool fans looked.

No people of colour on Merseyside then ?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I want a refund.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Didn’t really watch much of the match.
I understand why the format is what it is but I don’t like it. Champions league winners not even being champions in their own league certainly takes the polish off winning the trophy.I also firmly believe that if Liverpool fans were honest they would say that winning the European cup as league champions meant more in the 70s and 80s than the most recent victories.
As a BHA fan it is unlikely to ever be an issue for us so I doubt we will ever know if this really matters. Most cup competitions don’t carry anywhere near the prestige that they have in times gone by.
I’m all for improving the game for us fans but this isn’t the way it should be done. Let’s go back to the league champions only being in the competition to really entitle the winners to be the best team in Europe. Then perhaps their fans can really be smug about it, and rightfully so.
Until then, the trophy may as well be made of plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I understand why the format is what it is but I don’t like it. Champions league winners not even being champions in their own league certainly takes the polish off winning the trophy.I also firmly believe that if Liverpool fans were honest they would say that winning the European cup as league champions meant more in the 70s and 80s than the most recent victories.
As a BHA fan it is unlikely to ever be an issue for us so I doubt we will ever know if this really matters. Most cup competitions don’t carry anywhere near the prestige that they have in times gone by.
I’m all for improving the game for us fans but this isn’t the way it should be done. Let’s go back to the league champions only being in the competition to really entitle the winners to be the best team in Europe. Then perhaps their fans can really be smug about it, and rightfully so.

Utter tosh.

It's considered the biggest football club trophy in the world. Watched by hundreds of millions around the world.

You'll see what it means to the people of Liverpool on the parade...

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Utter tosh.

It's considered the biggest football club trophy in the world. Watched by hundreds of millions around the world.

You'll see what it means to the people of Liverpool on the parade...

Just like the FA Cup is the biggest domestic cup trophy in the world?
History says the winners are the winners. Doesn’t mean anywhere near as much as it did 30 years ago does it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The money men at the major clubs and UEFA changed that forever. The CL was a concession to stop a breakaway in the 90’s.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just like the FA Cup is the biggest domestic cup trophy in the world?

No. That's clearly diminished in importance.

The top European cup competition has NEVER been bigger.

Fans are paying £25k for tickets! There's your clue.

History says the winners are the winners. Doesn’t mean anywhere near as much as it did 30 years ago does it?

Think you need to remove those rose-tinted glasses. Maybe it means less to you - it definitely doesn't mean less to the world of football.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think I agree with Muzzy here. The European Cup did mean so much more when you actually had to win your own league title to be in it. Yes, I can understand what it means to Liverpool today, but I find it really odd that they have won two "Champions" Leagues and lost in the the final of the "Champions" League since they were last actually Champions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m with Muzzy here. It’s all about money and hype now. The European Cup meant so much more when it was a cup for the Champions of Europe.

The price of tickets and the coverage don’t make up for the fact that the Champions Of Europe aren’t and haven’t been Champions of England this century. Of course it devalues the competition.

So it gets more coverage and tickets can cost 20k and everybody and his brother is a Liverpool fan now, most of them have probably never even been to Liverpool.

Celtic and United winning the European Cup way back was a MUCH bigger deal imo

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The European Cup did mean so much more when you actually had to win your own league title to be in it. Yes, I can understand what it means to Liverpool today

Well, which is it? ???

Sorry, but I think you're romanticizing the past, when there wasn't much live football on TV and every foreign team seemed exotic and exciting... and a club could win the European Cup having faced just a couple of decent sides.

Sure the name is a misnomer, but the biggest and best teams in Europe - and the best players in the world - are in the Champions League each season, and the winner has to work bloody hard for it.

To say it's been devalued is ridiculous.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well, which is it? ???

Sorry, but I think you're romanticizing the past, when there wasn't much live football on TV and every foreign team seemed exotic and exciting... and a club could win the European Cup having faced just a couple of decent sides.

Sure the name is a misnomer, but the biggest and best teams in Europe - and the best players in the world - are in the Champions League each season, and the winner has to work bloody hard for it.

To say it's been devalued is ridiculous.

British teams made up of mostly British players meant something too, maybe you are too young to remember those days

Teams packed with foreigners and a cup for Champions won by a team who aren’t champions and you can say with a straight face that is hasn’t been devalued?

Yes it’s bigger, flasher and covered worldwide but even so.....

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
British teams made up of mostly British players meant something too, maybe you are too young to remember those days

No, I'm not too young. But I'm not stuck there either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here