Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Greatest English/British sporting moments ever

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Although we lost I still remember everything about our 1990 WC semi final, that is etched on my mind forever. Never had the same feeling when we played Croatia.

And Platt's goal - one of the top non-Brighton football moments (along with Gazza's goal against Scotland).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What about the Women's NETBALL final last year?

Crodo will be FUMING that you've missed that off the list.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I remember watching that on BBC on a midweek evening in 1992.

All poignant and happy memories, I seem to recall where I was each time.

Maybe it was because of the age I was (15) but there seemed to be something magical about the Barcelona Olympics.....Sally Gunnell, Lindford Christie, Steve Redgrave and Chris Boardman with his futuristic bike designed by Lotus!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
What about the Women's NETBALL final last year?

Crodo will be FUMING that you've missed that off the list.

And what about in 1980 when a British man won the European Championship in his chosen sport at odds of over 1,000 to 1. Can you name the man, and the sport that had to make a fundamental rule change such was the shock of his win?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Boxing:

Barry McGuigan beating the legend Predroza at Loftus Road in 1986.
Jim Watt beating Pitalua for the world crown at The Kelvin Hall, Glasgow in 1979.
Lloyd Honeyghan stopping the brilliant Don Curry in Atlantic City in 1986.
Alan Minter defeating Antuofermo twice for the WBC and WBA crowns.
Carl Froch’s destruction of favourite Bute, and then mouthy Groves in their rematch.

Covered on BBC or ITV for all to see. I loved watching boxing.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Mary Peters, John Curry, Robin Cussins and how about Jonathan Edwards who’s triple jump world record still stands today 24 years later

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Boxing:

Barry McGuigan beating the legend Predroza at Loftus Road in 1986.
Jim Watt beating Pitalua for the world crown at The Kelvin Hall, Glasgow in 1979.
Lloyd Honeyghan stopping the brilliant Don Curry in Atlantic City in 1986.
Alan Minter defeating Antuofermo twice for the WBC and WBA crowns.
Carl Froch’s destruction of favourite Bute, and then mouthy Groves in their rematch.

Covered on BBC or ITV for all to see. I loved watching boxing.

Some great boxing nights there although most of them before I started getting in to boxing!

I would add to that from the ones I watched:
Nigel Benn stopping the highly rated Gerald Mcclellan for the WBC title in 1995
Ricky Hatton beating one of the best pound for pound fighters at the time Kostya Tszyu in 2005
Joe Calzaghe comprehensively dismantling the IBF champion and hot American prospect Jeff Lacy in 2006
Tyson Fury beating lineal heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko in Germany in 2015

And one from the past:
Randolph Turpin against all odds winning 9 clear rounds and beating all time great Sugar Ray Robinson in 1951.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
was too young for a lot of the greats but for me:

-all of the 2005 ashes. Such an incredible series with two elite teams going head to head, incredible atmosphere in the stands and it was on free to air TV
-Rugby World Cup final in 2003. I'm not even that into Rugby but it was very entertaining
-Cricket World Cup Final 2019. Such a dramatic match full of ups and downs
-So many 2012 and 2016 Olympics moments, both very successful for team GB but I guess it's the sports that we don't historically do well in- Mo Farah, Adam Peatty, Rebecca Adlington etc

I wouldn't put the 5-1 against Germany in there. Yes it was a great performance but it wasn't a comparatively great German side and it WAS just a qualifier. Had that game been in a tournament then maybe

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I heard a funny story involving her name. They use it in golf terms, probably 100% sexist. When you hit a badly low shot, ugly but runs well. Anyway, my mate was out on a round with a few people and someone called a Sally Gunnell. Young lad asked why it was called that and the aforementioned was explained. He pointed out he was her son!

Would have been safer calling a Liz McColgan :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having watched Stokes for the 4th time I'm currently using this thread to YouTube Jnr through our past glories.

Done the Rugby, and my 4x400m Relay favourite.
Currently doing Botham's Ashes, the commentary for Botham could easily be superimposed onto Stokes.

Might go for boxing next.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Trying to be objective, trying not to favour sports I like, trying to think of the impact on the nation and trying to keep it to moments, i'd rank them .....

1) Geoff Hurst completing his hatrick in the 66 final
2) Jonny Wilkinson drop goal
3) Ben Stokes winning runs
4) Super Saturday
5) Flintoff gets Kasprowicz in 2005
6) Gazza scores against Scotland

Loads of other brilliant sporting days have been mentioned, but none which profoundly affected the nation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Trying to be objective, trying not to favour sports I like, trying to think of the impact on the nation and trying to keep it to moments, i'd rank them .....

Loads of other brilliant sporting days have been mentioned, but none which profoundly affected the nation.

It was Harmison bowling. I think that's a rather dubious one TBH, it was a fantastic moment but it was tempered a bit by the umpire getting it wrong - if they'd had DRS then it would have been reversed.

I'd have said Ponting's run out at Trent Bridge and the way he subsequently lost it was far more iconic. As was KP's century at the Oval - that's when the Ashes were sealed.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
And what about in 1980 when a British man won the European Championship in his chosen sport at odds of over 1,000 to 1. Can you name the man, and the sport that had to make a fundamental rule change such was the shock of his win?

Anyone? Admittedly not a British triumph that many remember but nonetheless an incredible against the odds win. It is a proper sport that's also in the Olympics.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

1) Geoff Hurst completing his hatrick in the 66 final
2) Jonny Wilkinson drop goal
3) Ben Stokes winning runs
4) Super Saturday
6) Gazza scores against Scotland

It was Harmison bowling. I think that's a rather dubious one TBH, it was a fantastic moment but it was tempered a bit by the umpire getting it wrong - if they'd had DRS then it would have been reversed.

I'd have said Ponting's run out at Trent Bridge and the way he subsequently lost it was far more iconic. As was KP's century at the Oval - that's when the Ashes were sealed.

Sunday was exhilarating. But I think I'd go for the Edgbaston Test most of all. If we'd lost this test, we would have lost the Ashes 2019 - but we've held the Ashes for quite a few times since winning them back in 2005, even winning a series in Australia. The context at Edgbaston was different in that we hadn't won a series for ages - I think the Aussies had won 8 in a row. In fact, in most of those series we'd rarely won a test, except for dead rubbers. I think there was one series where we won the first test, but still ended up losing. If we'd lost at Edgbaston, it would have effectively been over for another series (two down with three to play) - which is why it was so very very important to win the match. More important than Sunday.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Anyone on here witnessed MORE THAN ONE of these events in person?

(only one for me - Olympic Super Saturday).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here