Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I can't see me having any problem with 100 miles on my new bike next summer. I managed 50 on my old one when it was falling apart with no cycling gear and no cleats!

Hey Notters, I popped into Aldi today (Boundary Road) and they still a few nice bits of cycling gear - base layers, bib trousers, overshoes, arm and leg warmers (I'm a big fan of arm warmers as they're so easy to take off while you're riding if you get hot), jerseys and jackets, and bits and pieces. Worth checking in your local store - all my Aldi base layers and arm warmers have lasted really well.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For the first time I put up one of my 2 and half mile commutes on Strava today. I'm hoping to commute regular by bike again and just curious to see how the rides stack up together.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sportives - I fall into the camp about the paying to ride on free roads thing that SB mentions. I just can't quite get my head around that, especially in a world where everything is over priced and charged for as it is. I'm a passionate believer in free sports for all kids as our true Olympic legacy for example and get very frustrated that so much sport for them requires constant fees and expense, thus ruling some kids out. Free open roads are a big attraction for me in cycling so paying for Sportives would seem weird for me, unless it's a charity ride. I did once do a 40 mile charity ride and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can also see the value in Sportives as a safer way to ride with your kids, and this would be one way to tempt me in, but for myself I can't really get the whole concept. Each to their own though.
I do get what your saying, but by the same token I have never felt ripped off by a sportive.
In fact quite the reverse.

It would be easy to charge and extra £10 and provide a little less, and still get away with it.
As it is, for £15 -£20 when you add the 'free' gifts, discounted/free food, the route signing and marshaling, they would seem to be losing money.

I've got half an eye on a ride on the Dec 7th, as I know that will be a good incentive to keep me riding through till then.
The start/finish is in Basingstoke, which happens to be the part of the course furthest away from me.
The rest of the event in on the roads the next chunk of countryside along from where I ride now.
I'd have never ridden on any of the roads even though it's nearest point and my outer limits are probably only 10-15 miles apart.
I know it will be a good route, well sign posted, I will be riding with new 'friends', on new roads.
For £17.50 I think that's almost a bargain.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I do get what your saying, but by the same token I have never felt ripped off by a sportive.
In fact quite the reverse.

It would be easy to charge and extra £10 and provide a little less, and still get away with it.
As it is, for £15 -£20 when you add the 'free' gifts, discounted/free food, the route signing and marshaling, they would seem to be losing money.

I've got half an eye on a ride on the Dec 7th, as I know that will be a good incentive to keep me riding through till then.
The start/finish is in Basingstoke, which happens to be the part of the course furthest away from me.
The rest of the event in on the roads the next chunk of countryside along from where I ride now.
I'd have never ridden on any of the roads even though it's nearest point and my outer limits are probably only 10-15 miles apart.
I know it will be a good route, well sign posted, I will be riding with new 'friends', on new roads.
For £17.50 I think that's almost a bargain.

Yep, not bad value if you can see the value, but I've obstacles in my way to the seeing. Not knocking anyone riding them that's for sure.

I've had a lot of years of paying for various kids sports, still am, and I was hoping for an Olympic legacy for ALL kids to be proud of, not just mine. But that's just the Commie in me perhaps.

Here's a couple of photos I took from this year's ToB to illustrate the point:

2014-09-14-2512.jpg
2014-09-14-2547.jpg

And I'll tell you what, I'm not even going to mention poor Alex Peters having to penguin walk his broken bicycle all the way down the long finishing straight in the ITT whilst a member of 'Team GB' takes a break from quaffing champagne in hospitality to call out if he's alright.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
JCL...... [emoji1] [emoji1]

:annoyed:

:lolol:

Before Strava existed I used a crappy cateye bike computer for years. But there is no record, so I didn't do it.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is responsible for me using Strava. Or he was then, I'm sure I would have succumbed soon after.

I do love Strava, but I'm not sure whether I like it or not, for what it's done to my stress levels when it doesn't work. And the fact that year zero is about two years ago!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
More cyclocross - just brilliant.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Before Strava existed I used a crappy cateye bike computer for years. But there is no record, so I didn't do it.

[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] is responsible for me using Strava. Or he was then, I'm sure I would have succumbed soon after.

I do love Strava, but I'm not sure whether I like it or not, for what it's done to my stress levels when it doesn't work. And the fact that year zero is about two years ago!

Oi! I've got a cateye bike computer.:down: we can't all be cool and trendy with the in crowd. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know you'll enjoy this [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]:-

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Was just too easy to bait you PM!!

As you've probably noticed on Strava, all my rides are on there now. I've found it a useful motivation when I'm, pretty much, riding the same bit of road all the time.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Was just too easy to bait you PM!!

As you've probably noticed on Strava, all my rides are on there now. I've found it a useful motivation when I'm, pretty much, riding the same bit of road all the time.

As soon as I made the comment I was waiting for your response! I knew you wouldn't let me down.

I agree, it gets motivational to a ridiculous degree. In the past there would have been no guilt about missing a weekend ride, now I know people might notice!

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Whilst on the topic of Strava.......

I noticed this morning that I'd had a load of Kudos for my commute home yesterday. Bit strange, I thought as its only a couple of miles and I was hardly riding fast.....

Turns out I'd left it running in my pocket after I got home and went for a rather long drive in the countryside.

Absolutely smashed the top times on some of the segments though!

:ffsparr:

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Just popped by to point out CRC have 10% of components if you use code COMP before Tues 21/10/14.

So, 5800 groupset £286

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Bought a garmin edge 200 and used it for the first time today. My question is; is there a point to Garmin connect? Is it better to just upload rides straight to strava?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here