Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
£1,350 now.....and most of the spec is meaningless to me. Better do some research.

That's the - Buy it Now - price.

Not the kind of bike that would suit me to be honest, but the spec does seem almost too good to be true at that price. As said above, ultimately it would be how it rode anyway - might feel like a dog for all I know.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As a rule the Boardman range is the best specced for RRP.

But as said it's currently sale (+ cheeky offer) time so it'll be worth your while popping round a few Local Bike Shops to see what's about. Esp as you have a decent chunk of cash to spend.

I beg to differ :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Planet X Pro-Carbon SRAM Rival 22

Before I begin, let me caveat the following by saying that it is my first road bike, apart from a battered 70s number which I used briefly in my teenage years. As such I don't have much to compare it with.

As mentioned by [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I've been using my old (though now re-conditioned) Specialized Sirus hybrid bike fairly heavily all summer. I obviously thought I would feel the difference, but boy what a difference.

I had my first ride (circa 24km of bumpy country lanes around Uckfield) yesterday afternoon. Do not take any notice of my time or average speed on Strava, as I was with my Dad who was on his circa 15 year old Raleigh mountain bike which weighs about 23 tonnes.

I barely had to pedal. It took me about five minutes to get used to the cleats, but other than that, no issues. I would like some tips on getting that second cleat attached whilst crossing a busy crossroads, though!

I'd read several reports that the SRAM Rival "double tap" leaves taking some time to get used to. But this seemed utter guff to me. They seem so natural and work perfectly every time; even on the steepest incline. And what a range of gears this bike has! I only used the smaller cog at the front for the first half of a ride, but you can't half put some power into the bike when you put it into the larger cog... and I'm sure I still need to make some adjustments to the saddle, cleats, etc.

And the ride, what a ride! I assumed, given the thinner, harder tyres that it would be a bit of a bone-rattler. NOPE. The carbon seems to absorb everything, and you barely even notice all but the largest of pot holes (though obviously I tried to avoid them). On my old bike I would have one or two "uncomfortable moments" every five minutes. I can honestly say I was completely comfortable for the whole ride. Yet, at the same time, it seems really stiff. I don't know how this is possible. I didn't notice any wobble at all when up from the saddle and powering up the hills.

Looking forward to next weekend when I intend to see what it can really do! I feel my average speed will go up by circa 5km/h though maybe that's optimistic.

How the hell did they make this so cheap?!

BUY ONE NOW

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Another photo of the beauty after setup, though I need to do an outdoor shoot at some point.

Yes, that is cider in the background!
20141010_184151.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I beg to differ :)
In future I will add an 'on the high street' caveat.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your ride.
It sounds like you'll need surgery to remove the smile, which is how it should be.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
When looking at costs did you factor in new white bar tape every 6 weeks? :wink:
Haha. No, I didn't but I like it. It's actually speckled to make it look like it's got flecks of mud on it already! Gave the whole thing a good clean as soon as I got home.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Haha. No, I didn't but I like it. It's actually speckled to make it look like it's got flecks of mud on it already! Gave the whole thing a good clean as soon as I got home.

How did you find the saddle on your first ride? It's definitely the worst thing about my bike and I find it so uncomfortable I've swapped it for my old Carerra one until I get a chance to get a new one (and figure out which one to get!).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would like some tips on getting that second cleat attached whilst crossing a busy crossroads, though!

Hmmm, yes, I've had this trying to get across the A273. Each to their own (I suspect others may be completely different to me), but If I'm clipped in with one foot, when I'm starting off I don't immediately try to get the second foot clipped in on that first rotation - if it just clips in, then great, but basically I'm just trying to keep the peddle motion going and a bit of momentum into the bike. Once around enough your already clipped in foot can keep the momentum going and you have much more time to get the other foot clipped in. I've found this has worked for me on starting up a hill too. Of course you do need to be careful as you're pushing down with a bit of plastic onto a flat metal surface when your not clipped in, but it is only to get that first rotation properly underway. I'm now finding I am clipping in much more naturally without thinking about it as much.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How did you find the saddle on your first ride? It's definitely the worst thing about my bike and I find it so uncomfortable I've swapped it for my old Carerra one until I get a chance to get a new one (and figure out which one to get!).

It, like everything else, was fantastically comfortable. Though softer than I imagined on a racing bike. Do you have the same one?

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
It, like everything else, was fantastically comfortable. Though softer than I imagined on a racing bike. Do you have the same one?

It certainly looks like the same one but mine is really hard. Even with really good quality bib shorts I just can't get on with it. Maybe it's just my arse!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Before I begin, let me caveat the following by saying that it is my first road bike, apart from a battered 70s number which I used briefly in my teenage years. As such I don't have much to compare it with.

As mentioned by [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I've been using my old (though now re-conditioned) Specialized Sirus hybrid bike fairly heavily all summer. I obviously thought I would feel the difference, but boy what a difference.

I had my first ride (circa 24km of bumpy country lanes around Uckfield) yesterday afternoon. Do not take any notice of my time or average speed on Strava, as I was with my Dad who was on his circa 15 year old Raleigh mountain bike which weighs about 23 tonnes.

I barely had to pedal. It took me about five minutes to get used to the cleats, but other than that, no issues. I would like some tips on getting that second cleat attached whilst crossing a busy crossroads, though!

I'd read several reports that the SRAM Rival "double tap" leaves taking some time to get used to. But this seemed utter guff to me. They seem so natural and work perfectly every time; even on the steepest incline. And what a range of gears this bike has! I only used the smaller cog at the front for the first half of a ride, but you can't half put some power into the bike when you put it into the larger cog... and I'm sure I still need to make some adjustments to the saddle, cleats, etc.

And the ride, what a ride! I assumed, given the thinner, harder tyres that it would be a bit of a bone-rattler. NOPE. The carbon seems to absorb everything, and you barely even notice all but the largest of pot holes (though obviously I tried to avoid them). On my old bike I would have one or two "uncomfortable moments" every five minutes. I can honestly say I was completely comfortable for the whole ride. Yet, at the same time, it seems really stiff. I don't know how this is possible. I didn't notice any wobble at all when up from the saddle and powering up the hills.

Looking forward to next weekend when I intend to see what it can really do! I feel my average speed will go up by circa 5km/h though maybe that's optimistic.

How the hell did they make this so cheap?!

BUY ONE NOW

Almost convincing (scurries off to look at Planet X)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I recommend Morvelo. They are from Brighton, and the most comfortable I have worn. More comfortable than Assos, and they cost an arm and a leg.

Read this, Cycling Weekly agree with me: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/group-tests/cycling-bib-shorts-15-best-137253
I've got the B'twin aerofit 900 shorts, rated 9/10 in that piece. But I got them for £30, not £70!

Now is the time of year to get cycling stuff with the end of season sales, I've been casting my eye over some shimano wide fit shoes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Aldi is the place to go Notters. Can't go wrong there for the price and quality you get. Especially good for base layers/jerseys/bib tights. Most of it is made by Crane, and all my stuff from there has been just the job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here