Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We need goals to win the match. Personally I feel the time has come to rest Baldock..2 goals in ,I think, 12 Championship appearances is not good enough for a striker in a promotion-gaining team.

I would give Elvis a start ,to boost his confidence and see what he can do . He cannot do worse

Baldock has been playing well though to be fair. He's played a deeper role than an out and out striker, and while he can definitely improve his goals ratio, his all round play, creativity, linking up to me has been very good in my opinion. While we don't have a striker topping the scoring charts, after 14 games we already have 6 players on 2 or more goals which is a really good sign that there are goals in this team. I'm sure he'd be disappointed with his goal return too, but I don't think that stat alone is proof he's not good enough for this side.

I'd like to see what Elvis can do, but perhaps not away to Wednesday. I'd also like Kaz back asap.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would give Elvis a start ,to boost his confidence and see what he can do . He cannot do worse
He can't score less, but that doesn't mean he can't do worse. Baldock, although not scoring, has been playing well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As [MENTION=4156]glasfryn[/MENTION] is having his heart operation today, let's hope he comes round from his anaesthetic to a win for the Albion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We need goals to win the match. Personally I feel the time has come to rest Baldock..2 goals in ,I think, 12 Championship appearances is not good enough for a striker in a promotion-gaining team.

He could do an awful lot worse. Baldock's movement has been superb but he is a bang average finisher. It could be the case that Elvis Manu provides neither finishing nor space for others to run into. In fact, I'll admit that I worry Elvis might be a complete dud seeing as Hughton hasn't seen fit to play him regularly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

To be honest, its actually ONE goal (against Fulham away).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He could do an awful lot worse. Baldock's movement has been superb but he is a bang average finisher. It could be the case that Elvis Manu provides neither finishing nor space for others to run into. In fact, I'll admit that I worry Elvis might be a complete dud seeing as Hughton hasn't seen fit to play him regularly.

ohhwerr , that would be a shame......i can see us getting done tonight , but we are , at best/worst , unprefuerkindictable....!!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
More than any other opponents, I would love us to hammer this smug for no reason lot. On that basis I'm going for a stroll in the park 4-1 win

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Would prefer to see us play in the 442 that has served us so well in the league so far this season. I am worried that CH will see Saturday's result as a success and we will revert to be a more cautious and defensive team again.

CH is not wedded to any system. While we've started, and played for most of the game, with a 4-4-2, we've finished very few with that formation, usually moving to a 4-1-4-1. Having been at the game and seeing Reading, I think it was a good decision to change the system, especially given the injuries to key players. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar 4-5-1/4-3-2-1 formation against Sheff Wed, as the same injuries are with us, they're in good form, and -- like Reading -- they've got some dangerous attacking players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Baldock has been playing well though to be fair. He's played a deeper role than an out and out striker, and while he can definitely improve his goals ratio, his all round play, creativity, linking up to me has been very good in my opinion. While we don't have a striker topping the scoring charts, after 14 games we already have 6 players on 2 or more goals which is a really good sign that there are goals in this team. I'm sure he'd be disappointed with his goal return too, but I don't think that stat alone is proof he's not good enough for this side.

I'd like to see what Elvis can do, but perhaps not away to Wednesday. I'd also like Kaz back asap.

Agree with all this. Think we'll have to be two up or at least one down with c20 minutes to go before we see Elvis. And rightly so.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Wednesday to score in under 10 minutes.
We'll score a penalty in the last 10 whilst hanging on for dear life.

I'd much prefer a 3-0 win for us but just don't see it with out current strikers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree with all this. Think we'll have to be two up or at least one down with c20 minutes to go before we see Elvis. And rightly so.
If we are a goal down with 20 to play, I'd prefer to see Zamora. He has no pace anymore, but if at this level, if gets one chance in that 20 minutes against tired defenders, he'll take it.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
CH is not wedded to any system. While we've started, and played for most of the game, with a 4-4-2, we've finished very few with that formation, usually moving to a 4-1-4-1. Having been at the game and seeing Reading, I think it was a good decision to change the system, especially given the injuries to key players. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar 4-5-1/4-3-2-1 formation against Sheff Wed, as the same injuries are with us, they're in good form, and -- like Reading -- they've got some dangerous attacking players.

Fair point, I trust CH too. Maybe if LuaLua was fit then he would be more likely to go with a 442. I just always feel we really fail to create in the one up front formation. I get really fed up of hearing commentators saying the one front man looks isolated, yeah, no sh1t!!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If we are a goal down with 20 to play, I'd prefer to see Zamora. He has no pace anymore, but if at this level, if gets one chance in that 20 minutes against tired defenders, he'll take it.

Not sure it's an either/or scenario. If we're down with 20 to play, I'd expect to see two or three attacking subs if that's possible.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair point, I trust CH too. Maybe if LuaLua was fit then he would be more likely to go with a 442. I just always feel we really fail to create in the one up front formation. I get really fed up of hearing commentators saying the one front man looks isolated, yeah, no sh1t!!!

Agree about LuaLua. The other point about 4-4-2 is that CH's defensive instincts in a certain sense go against this formation, but this are assuaged by playing Rosenoir on the right midfield (I'd hesitate to describe him as a winger). With Bong out, and while LR plays at left back, that option isn't available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here