Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although I didn't vote for Brexit, I am 100% convinced that the EU has a very limited future. It has been failing for 10 years and although they can't see it, it is sliding. It needs reforming but it won't reform. When it finally crashes and burns, it won't just be innocent Brits failing to get vital medicines. It will be a 500 million people problem. Some can scaremonger as much as they like about this Brexit but when Eurofall happens ( 8-12 years maximum ) we just have to make sure we don't get caught in the avalanche.

The only problems that look like they could threaten the foundation of the EU relate to the weakness of the economies of some of the Mediterranean states which, in turn, are drawn from a long-standing culture of tax avoidance. If the EU manages to bring these states into line when it comes to tax compliance then I think the EU will be strong.

We live in a global economy, the era of the small nation state is at an end and Europe needs the EU to bring its influence to bear across the world.

The European identity is far stronger on the continent where those people carry the scars of invasion, conflict and ideology. I see every reason for them to stick together and very little reason for individual states to break away. What the UK is doing is counter-intuitive, and it is only by quirk of history re his shit government, austerity, immigration and the refugee crisis from Asia / Africa that the unique conditions for Brexit came to pass.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Speaker reiterates his view that MV3 can only happen if it meets the "test of change". The government will not be allowed to table other motions (paving motion??) to circumvent this. This should be a fun few days then.

I predict it will get passed on Friday, having had Customs Union and/or Common Market 2.0 bolted onto it, following tonight's votes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The European identity is far stronger on the continent where those people carry the scars of invasion, conflict and ideology. I see every reason for them to stick together and very little reason for individual states to break away. What the UK is doing is counter-intuitive, and it is only by quirk of history re his shit government, austerity, immigration and the refugee crisis from Asia / Africa that the unique conditions for Brexit came to pass.

You've forgotten possibly the biggest factor - a shitload of money and disinformation campaigns from those lovely Russians.

They've played an absolute blinder with Brexit and Trump, literally couldn't have gone better for Putin.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really, Bercow is more like the The Complete And Utter Shyster of parliament. #look@me

That's his job. He is elected by all MPs, and has to follow Parliamentary procedure without any favour to any side. He is literally in charge.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
LABOUR BREXIT LATEST: Jeremy Corbyn's spokesman explains that the party only supports a referendum on a "damaging Tory Brexit". If Labour takes power, he says, it will negotiate a better Brexit, which won't need a referendum.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are the EU in a position to say yay or nay and change the political declaration before Friday?

Sorry to clarify - I don't think we'll leave on Friday, if that's how you read it. I'm pretty sure I've read they could/would be flexible on the PD if it was in this direction, could be wrong though.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Have to say John Bercow as Speaker is a class act. Keeps the bellicose rabble in ORRRRRDRRRRR with always a bit of a twinkle in his eye. And not in any way afraid to be a thorn in the side of the government. Nice line in jumpers also :thumbsup:

I doubt some of his staff would agree with you or Betty Boothroyd.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The easiest way for May to substantially alter MV3 would be to accept something like the Kyle / Wilson amendment, but there's not a hope in hell of her doing that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He's a Tory! You really think he favours Labour?! He's picked the amendments as per how popular they appear to be, and he doesn't take bollocks from either side.

Where specifically has his course of action unfairly favoured any one side?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apart from the SNP- who seem to be quite enjoying it - the MPs in the house look severely chastened and more than a little bit scared. Finally, looks they're being individually held to account. No wonder they're worried :lol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good grief! A five minute speech by Welsh windbag Stephen Kinnock, son of the windbag father, seems to last several days in real time. Make. Him. Stop.

The son of a father who for a while was very anti-EEC/EU but strangely became a keen supporter when offered a nice pay package from them !

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
He's a Tory! You really think he favours Labour?! He's picked the amendments as per how popular they appear to be, and he doesn't take bollocks from either side.

Where specifically has his course of action unfairly favoured any one side?

But this isn't about parties is it? #Brexit

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Sorry to clarify - I don't think we'll leave on Friday, if that's how you read it. I'm pretty sure I've read they could/would be flexible on the PD if it was in this direction, could be wrong though.

No I know we cannot leave on Friday, but they will have to change the PD and ratify it with the 27 member states before MV3 can take place. Sounds like the PD is going to have to change anyway in order to get MV3 past the speaker. Although, if TM agreed to go and an agreed cross-party way forward on the future relationship can be agreed, then will that be enough for MV3 to come back? Labour would agree to that and vote for the WA according to Lisa Nandy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But this isn't about parties is it? #Brexit

So, other than refusing to let government over-ride the House rules, and 400 years of accepted convention, at what point do you contend that he has FAVOURED any side?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here