Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Wilshere

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As much as any other PL title win which was 'bought' (all of them?), so yes.

Not sure why it being Arab oil is of particular note though...?
If it was American burger money i'd have referenced that too!

But yes, you rightly point out that our leagues are sullied by an excess of easy money alongside poor reward for good housekeeping and honest endeavour.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If it was American burger money i'd have referenced that too!

But yes, you rightly point out that our leagues are sullied by an excess of easy money.
Can't think of many leagues that aren't sadly. Bizarrely, it's what makes winning the league an achievement in itself, yes City went mental in buying a squad but they still managed to overhaul Chelsea, United, Spurs (who have the money and spend it badly) and so on.

But why mention where the money comes from? I'm not insinuating anything, just curious what relevance it has. Money be money!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can't think of many leagues that aren't sadly. Bizarrely, it's what makes winning the league an achievement in itself, yes City went mental in buying a squad but they still managed to overhaul Chelsea, United, Spurs (who have the money and spend it badly) and so on.

But why mention where the money comes from? I'm not insinuating anything, just curious what relevance it has. Money be money!
I mentioned where the money was from as the sheikhs have only recently been enamoured with owning top football clubs. I resent the intrusion made by people with no connection to our games history. I feel the same about Leeds new owner and many others regardless of nationality. Football clubs should not be a rich man's plaything, they are/were the lifeblood and pride of local communities and should not be subject to the whims of JCL's who see them as a vehicle for their egos.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I mentioned where the money was from as the sheikhs have only recently been enamoured with owning top football clubs. I resent the intrusion made by people with no connection to our games history. I feel the same about Leeds new owner and many others regardless of nationality. Football clubs should not be a rich man's plaything, they are/were the lifeblood and pride of local communities and should not be subject to the whims of JCL's who see them as a vehicle for their egos.

Well then that's fair enough but, and we're going to derail this thread I suspect, do you ever think that many fans feel the same and wholeheartedly agree right up until the point that their club is the one taken over?

I have no issues with City fans, many of them were turning out to watch their team when they were in the doldrums (or close to anyway) but if there have ever been any dissenting voices then I've yet to hear them, much like Chelsea.

Essentially, we're all (or mostly) slaves to success. When losing, complain, when winning, let it happen. The way of the fan!

As an aside, what do you think to the Hull owner? He's got more local history than many other club owners and genuinely cares, yet...well...Hull Tigers.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Its probably not the smartest thing for him to had done...... if he cared about what the media would say, but he clearly doesn't! Its his life. Im sure he's been seen smoking before.

The thing is he's always been injury prone and is constantly fighting to get fit, so this pre season out of all of them, he probably should of just knuckled down and laid of the smoking, as we've had a sh!t World Cup and on top of that he needs to fight for a place in Arsenal's squad as well as England's for that matter. Plus he's had criticisms as of late from players like Paul Scholes, who he said he wants to prove wrong.

I personally think top sportsmen shouldnt smoke, not just for the imagine thing as they are role models, but more so because (especially top flight footballers) they get paid £80k+ to do what they do, the least they can do is not smoke. Unless its the odd cigar to celebrate something.

They got plenty of time once they retire at around 32 to do all that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hart's league titles and cup wins presumably now mean nothing then?

of course they dont. he had a poor half season, so now he's shit for the rest of the career, past and future medals not to be counted.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
Most of the England players in the 30's smoked and we were the best in the world then. The thing was they smoked proper fags like Senior Service and Capstan full strength. It's no coincidence our game has gone backwards since these milder low tar tabs came in. Forget coaching and technical skills it's real fags and players not travelling with the fans to games on the bus that is costing us dearly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Most of the England players in the 30's smoked and we were the best in the world then. The thing was they smoked proper fags like Senior Service and Capstan full strength. It's no coincidence our game has gone backwards since these milder low tar tabs came in. Forget coaching and technical skills it's real fags and players not travelling with the fans to games on the bus that is costing us dearly.

This, and a pre match lunch of steak and chips. Wilshire IS the new David Beckham, mind you, he is not the finished item, he just needs to get more tattoos and do some photo shoots in expensive undercrackers.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
[MENTION=12021]Huple[/MENTION] and vester

Agreed most the England players smoked, drank like fish and ate whatever they wanted back in the day, but so did mostly every other team and National team so it was an even playing field! haha If you acted like that now you would be at a massive disadvantage.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
This, and a pre match lunch of steak and chips. Wilshire IS the new David Beckham, mind you, he is not the finished item, he just needs to get more tattoos and do some photo shoots in expensive undercrackers.

You wouldn't have caught real footballers running around in underpants that barely covered their centre forward and two wing halves.
They wore proper pants in those days. ...... And proper Brylcream ? Not the new styling gel type, the one which resembled goose fat.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
You mean this Lionel Messi?

BAmhJRFCUAARB8O.jpg:large

Reckon Messi smokes something decent like Bensons (Gold not Silver obviously) . You don't get to be player of the tournament by smoking Marlboro Lights like a student or someone who is good with colours.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well then that's fair enough but, and we're going to derail this thread I suspect, do you ever think that many fans feel the same and wholeheartedly agree right up until the point that their club is the one taken over?

I have no issues with City fans, many of them were turning out to watch their team when they were in the doldrums (or close to anyway) but if there have ever been any dissenting voices then I've yet to hear them, much like Chelsea.

Essentially, we're all (or mostly) slaves to success. When losing, complain, when winning, let it happen. The way of the fan!

As an aside, what do you think to the Hull owner? He's got more local history than many other club owners and genuinely cares, yet...well...Hull Tigers.
Good post. And as for the Hull owner, having local connections does not stop one from being mad!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He's only having a drag of someone else's fag anyway by looks of it...

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Looks like Joe Hart will have to switch from advertising Head and Shoulders to the hair loss clinic.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

:lol:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not really an issue if he smokes, loads of foreign players smoke.

He does need to improve as a player, he hasn't improved in 3 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here