Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Hughton IN

Part of the fun of being a football fan is having a goldfish memory to be sure

We all want the best for the club and to be positive. That will require a decent squad revamp, many have shown they are not up to taking us forward from final week relegation battles.

Chris will get his chance to do the revamp job but the Amex will be bedlam pretty early next season without a big improvement on what we’ve seen since January

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Pie in Sky. Fed up with 'little old Brighton scrapping with big boys' type comments; that is sort of talk that will end with relegation and 'Well, we never could have competed with them' comments. Far too defeatist. There are 14 teams that are not 'big boys', plenty to take points from.

If you get promoted to PL, you compete or get relegated. Wolves, Watford, Bournemouth, to mention three, compete. Brighton are not presently. Chris Sutton put it succinctly on commentary: "Brighton have lost their identity". To be fair that was based on the first 20 minutes but why are we so crap in that period? It was same in home game against Arsenal and Newcastle last week. CH seems to have given up any hope of scoring so it is defending Alamo from the off, only to escape from shell once a goal down. He is aware of the poor starts in his post match comments but surely it is down to him and his tactics to start games on the front foot.

The stats are frightening: we are heading for Huddersfield exit next season unless things change. They might but I just cant quite see CH doing it. Sutton queried a couple of times whether he will be manager; personally hope not.

Absolute baloney.

One club gets sucked into a relegation battle every season, this year was us. Until Christmas we’d had almost almost flawless upward trajectory under Hughton and the pressure of a relegation battle took its toll. As soon as it was over look at us today, magnificent performance. We’re no Huddersfield, our record away from home against the big 6 is poor but so what, given the gap in resources it’s to be expected, that’s not Chris’ fault. Football fans have short memories, let’s enjoy the rude, you’d gave snapped my hand of for 3 seasons of epl football and an FA cup semi when Chris took charge, be grateful.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
If that’s your attitude go and support Man U or another of th big 6, we are Brighton, competing in this league is an achievement in itself, up until Christmas we had a pretty much unblemished upward curve under Chris, since then we’ve stagnated and under the crippling tension of a relegation dogfight regressed this spring. Today showed with the shackles off what we’re capable of, We need to learn our lessons to improve and ther s no better man than Chris for that job.

Next season won’t be easy either and as with every other club outside of the top 6 we’ll go through a poor run at some stage and we’ll have to put up with the vedwatters in here, but the true fans who have been through thick and thin know that’s the nature of the OL beast and we can come out if it, better together,

:ascarf:
Don't tell me what to do I've been going home and away since the early 80's so I'm fully aware of the achievement. If we want to stay in this division and protect Blooms investment then Hughton is a huge gamble. This season has proved that. We have been woeful. Even the first half we were hugely fortunate in many of our wins. You're grasping at a half match decent performance against an Arsenal team that have been terrible for weeks as evidence everything will be fine under Chris? Deluded.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
investment then Hughton is a huge gamble.

I am Deluded.

Too right you are son.

Given what Chris had achieved at the club it’s not a huge gamble st all, a huge gamble is sacking him and getting in someone else and there is no obvious successor I can see out there, and whoever may come in has to work under the same budgetary constraints as Chris.

We’ve had a poor end to the season we all get it but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water, often the 2nd season can be more difficult than the first Huddersfield have showed that but we’ve survived and that’s a great achievement despite obvious mistakes being made. Let’s learn from them and kick in and consolidate our place in the EPL next season.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Absolute baloney.

One club gets sucked into a relegation battle every season, this year was us. Until Christmas we’d had almost almost flawless upward trajectory under Hughton and the pressure of a relegation battle took its toll. As soon as it was over look at us today, magnificent performance. We’re no Huddersfield, our record away from home against the big 6 is poor but so what, given the gap in resources it’s to be expected, that’s not Chris’ fault. Football fans have short memories, let’s enjoy the rude, you’d gave snapped my hand of for 3 seasons of epl football and an FA cup semi when Chris took charge, be grateful.

Up to Christmas we had a bit of luck. The three consecutive 1-0s could all have gone the other way; cracks papered over IMO. The baloney is to say 'the pressure of a relegation battle took its toll'; ask yourself how we got into a relegation battle. For sure the anxiety made a difference in March/April, but hardly explains conceding four in a half at Fulham or three at home to Burnley early in New Year. We were still 30/1 against relegation then and seemingly coasting towards mid table. The wheels fell off by virtue of losing home games to peer group teams and not scoring for over 700 minutes.

I don't get the resources gap either. We were one of the highest spenders in net transfer fees and all with all with CH blessing. The offensive signings just haven't worked and he must take some blame for that; granted the salary cap is a hindrance but that is the club's policy that I hope will quietly be amended.

I do enjoy the ride; I would quite like it to last. But second half results and performances won't cut it by some distance. And it is not the top 6 games that are the problem, you keep banging on about that irrelevance. The need is competing and beating peer group teams. Apart from Huddersfield, the record is poor: 1 point from Fulham, 0 from Cardiff, 1 from Southampton, 0 from Burnley.

To be frank, I am not grateful for the recent performances; even the cup run should have come to a dismal end if Millwall keeper hadn't chucked the ball in the net. Let's aim high: raise our expectations, otherwise the ride ends earlier than it needs to. I have supported since 1964, seen all the crap and don't want a return, thank you. This is a well managed club; my instinct is the team needs a new one.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Too right you are son.

Given what Chris had achieved at the club it’s not a huge gamble st all, a huge gamble is sacking him and getting in someone else and there is no obvious successor I can see out there, and whoever may come in has to work under the same budgetary constraints as Chris.

We’ve had a poor end to the season we all get it but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water, often the 2nd season can be more difficult than the first Huddersfield have showed that but we’ve survived and that’s a great achievement despite obvious mistakes being made. Let’s learn from them and kick in and consolidate our place in the EPL next season.
I See what you did there. Hilarious. I'm very confident that Hughton will be gone by next Xmas if not over the summer. Dan Ashworth is calling the shots now in terms of running the football side of the club, he's cost alot of money and is tasked with taking us forward. He'll not have been very impressed with what he's seen.

Hard decisions need to be made to kick on and unfortunately for you and the other overly nostalgic fans that means Hughton will be out.

Bloom is not going to want to settle for the garbage we have had to tolerate this season or be the leader of the club that is lauded as the most anti football in the league.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
personally i hope hes replaced over the next week or so. Naturally i'll get behind him and the team next season if tb still wants to go with mr hughton. Im concerned that come october we will be playing that awful football thats plagued us since december and all fans are shouting for his head.id hate to see his legacy tarnished to that level

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I See what you did there. Hilarious. I'm very confident that Hughton will be gone by next Xmas if not over the summer. Dan Ashworth is calling the shots now in terms of running the football side of the club, he's cost alot of money and is tasked with taking us forward. He'll not have been very impressed with what he's seen.

Hard decisions need to be made to kick on and unfortunately for you and the other overly nostalgic fans that means Hughton will be out.

Bloom is not going to want to settle for the garbage we have had to tolerate this season or be the leader of the club that is lauded as the most anti football in the league.

Hughton will be there next season, fortunately Ashworth and Bloom and Barber see a bigger picture , 4 years of fantastic progression over 3 months of poor form.

He knows, we all know the last few months haven’t been good but we’ve survived it, now we can learn our lessons and take them through into next season and kick on. The nature of the EPL is that every club will go through some tough times in a season outside of the top clubs,unfortunately the knives will be out front Chris as soon as that happens next season but given what he’s done for us he deserves better.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Wow I thought I had signed into the Man City website. What a couple of deluded entitled fans you are. Been a fan since 1964 and think you are being short changed this season. Wow, just wow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hughton will be there next season, fortunately Ashworth and Bloom and Barber see a bigger picture , 4 years of fantastic progression over 3 months of poor form.

He knows, we all know the last few months haven’t been good but we’ve survived it, now we can learn our lessons and take them through into next season and kick on. The nature of the EPL is that every club will go through some tough times in a season outside of the top clubs,unfortunately the knives will be out front Chris as soon as that happens next season but given what he’s done for us he deserves better.

Crodo, you're on point tonight.

I'll admit my faith in CH has waivered of late after a series of truly dismal negative displays, and I'm STILL not entirely over it. But in mitigation, he has been majorly hamstrung by the loss of Gross and Izqueirdo this season, two of our most potent attacking forces, and the junk we've brought in this last 12 months have done absolutely NOTHING to help cater for their long term loss.

Just like CH's initial salvage act after taking over from that Hyypia shambles, its certainly not been pretty. But we've staggered over the line. Now we have the opportunity in the summer to regroup, recoup, recruit. And with Dan Ashworth on board pulling some influential strings, there is plenty of room now for optimism. Hughton is a fine manager, and given the tools, if we give the Eredivisie a wide swerve, we can push on from here and have a good opportunity of establishing ourselves as a reasonable midtable outfit.

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Don't tell me what to do I've been going home and away since the early 80's so I'm fully aware of the achievement. If we want to stay in this division and protect Blooms investment then Hughton is a huge gamble. This season has proved that. We have been woeful. Even the first half we were hugely fortunate in many of our wins. You're grasping at a half match decent performance against an Arsenal team that have been terrible for weeks as evidence everything will be fine under Chris? Deluded.
I am speechless. I wish you could have your way regarding Chris just so I could laugh at you and say I told you so. We are punching above our weight we lack quality and that is not Chris fault. I argue that we have the worse team in the PL

Anya1000

Apr 14, 2019
Wow I thought I had signed into the Man City website. What a couple of deluded entitled fans you are. Been a fan since 1964 and think you are being short changed this season. Wow, just wow.

So there are sensible sane people in this forum. I agree with you some of our fans have lost the plot, it is very sad to see. Let's get Murhinio in and see how far he takes us, top 6?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Too many miserablists determined to pursue the view that they are right about Hughton.
Even though we weren't sleepwalking into relegation in the end were we?.
Because we have a manager who knows what he's doing and has the balls to stick to his guns.

Take a good long look at Arsenal TV over the last few years. The Wenger out ranters are now the the Emery out ranters.
They are entitled, deluded twats. But they have a long successful history which at least explains their frustration.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Great post Dolph :bowdown:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I am sick and tired of every thread being taken over by moan ****ing moan. I really am !

I'm not saying its not justified, just sick and tired of it.:down:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Great post Dolph :bowdown:

512e206fbb6ad999be376588d40784cdc422f9d8c2fdbbb67b75b3f9a8aaba56.jpg

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Up to Christmas we had a bit of luck. The three consecutive 1-0s could all have gone the other way; cracks papered over IMO. The baloney is to say 'the pressure of a relegation battle took its toll'; ask yourself how we got into a relegation battle. For sure the anxiety made a difference in March/April, but hardly explains conceding four in a half at Fulham or three at home to Burnley early in New Year. We were still 30/1 against relegation then and seemingly coasting towards mid table. The wheels fell off by virtue of losing home games to peer group teams and not scoring for over 700 minutes.

I don't get the resources gap either. We were one of the highest spenders in net transfer fees and all with all with CH blessing. The offensive signings just haven't worked and he must take some blame for that; granted the salary cap is a hindrance but that is the club's policy that I hope will quietly be amended.

I do enjoy the ride; I would quite like it to last. But second half results and performances won't cut it by some distance. And it is not the top 6 games that are the problem, you keep banging on about that irrelevance. The need is competing and beating peer group teams. Apart from Huddersfield, the record is poor: 1 point from Fulham, 0 from Cardiff, 1 from Southampton, 0 from Burnley.

To be frank, I am not grateful for the recent performances; even the cup run should have come to a dismal end if Millwall keeper hadn't chucked the ball in the net. Let's aim high: raise our expectations, otherwise the ride ends earlier than it needs to. I have supported since 1964, seen all the crap and don't want a return, thank you. This is a well managed club; my instinct is the team needs a new one.

AGREED

I, like many other fans on here who have had the experience of watching the Albion, and football in general for many a year, do get a tad f**ked off with people who come on here after ONE good game to use that as evidence that we should retain a manager who, for the best part of half a season, has sent out his own hand picked Premier League team to defend for a complete game on quite a few occasions. I have a lot of time for Chris Hughton, but to basically forgive and forget all his shortcomings because of ONE good performance is not doing him, or us, any favours.

Certain games do paper over the cracks, this was one of them and the Millwall FA Cup game was another, as has been mentioned, to name but two. Next season I will want to see evidence that Chris Hughton and the recruitment team know what they are doing to improve us in this league. We need to go to the next level now, let's see better tactics, better passing and possession and also a team persona that's fit for the Premier League...not just the 'we're plucky Brighton, thanks for allowing us to play in the big boys league' attitude.

Let's sort the wheat from the chaff in the squad, recruit players with proven track records and please, please stop speculating by buying overseas players with unproven capabilities at the highest level, let's move forward on all fronts, then the new season can begin with renewed hope.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
AGREED

I, like many other fans on here who have had the experience of watching the Albion, and football in general for many a year, do get a tad f**ked off with people who come on here after ONE good game to use that as evidence that we should retain a manager who, for the best part of half a season, has sent out his own hand picked Premier League team to defend for a complete game on quite a few occasions. I have a lot of time for Chris Hughton, but to basically forgive and forget all his shortcomings because of ONE good performance is not doing him, or us, any favours.

Certain games do paper over the cracks, this was one of them and the Millwall FA Cup game was another, as has been mentioned, to name but two. Next season I will want to see evidence that Chris Hughton and the recruitment team know what they are doing to improve us in this league. We need to go to the next level now, let's see better tactics, better passing and possession and also a team persona that's fit for the Premier League...not just the 'we're plucky Brighton, thanks for allowing us to play in the big boys league' attitude.

Let's sort the wheat from the chaff in the squad, recruit players with proven track records and please, please stop speculating by buying overseas players with unproven capabilities at the highest level, let's move forward on all fronts, then the new season can begin with renewed hope.
Spot on [emoji106]

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That performance went a long way to restoring my wavering faith in Chris Hughton. We rode our luck, true, but I think it reminded us he’s more than capable of setting up a team on the front foot away from home. He probably just thinks - and might be right - that we’re not good enough to sustain it over a season, and always has an eye on morale and goal difference.

It’s more a case of tweaking the approach, and I think that can happen IF we get the right players in. He’s a fine (if sometimes frustrating) manager, for sure, so we would need someone absolutely outstanding to replace him. I just hope the result encourages him to loosen the constraints a little in those ‘bonus’ away games. It was great to see the players look like they were enjoying it (incidentally, where was that energy and commitment in a couple of the home shockers? Not everything can be blamed on the boss).

Apart from the axe-grinding Norwich fans, I think most outsiders would say we’d be mad to sack him. In 2 years in the Premier League, we’ve been in the relegation zone ONCE.. and that was after just 3 weeks of our first season. Most of the time we’ve hovered not far below mid-table. For a club completely new to the PL that’s remarkable really.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
AGREED

What is this "next level" and what does that mean to you?
A lot on here claim that the next level means attacking football. But what they really mean is winning, attacking football.
After a few losses, there will be plenty on the managers back, even if they show some tactical variation and entertaining style of football.
There is no guarantees of sucess. Fulham bought players and changed managers to try and achieve that.

Personally I'm happy with small incremental improvements.
Plenty won't see it, but this season has been better than last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here