Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RAF Sergeant moved by Hospital in case his uniform ''offended '' people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or...it's an example of how the core values of tolerance and mutual respect 9n this country has become a one way Street.

Only in the eyes of the press, & those that want to be outraged.
I'm in my 60s &'was part of a Naval family growing up. I joined up myself. I can remember several cases of sailor bashing in Pompey & Plymouth where servicemen were beaten up, just for being in the forces.
I think there has been more respect for veterans, in the last decade or so, than ever before, not less.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm in my 60s &'was part of a Naval family growing up. I joined up myself. I can remember several cases of sailor bashing in Pompey & Plymouth where servicemen were beaten up, just for being in the forces.
I think there has been more respect for veterans, in the last decade or so, than ever before, not less.

That adds a little bit of context to things, however I think you are missing the pertinent point.

Agreed that they was a bit of Sailor bashing as I am sure you will also agree that some of the servicemen did a bit of bashing themselves, but there was no context of a particular group of people engaging in that violence, other than them liking a bit of a punch up, here is different. !!

The authorities are being overly timid and accommodating to the views of a narrow group of religious zealots, thats key here and it cultivates an environment which capitulates to the demands of a few whilst disaffecting the majority that feel their own values are being undermined.

Each time it happens it is correct to challenge and hold to account those that implement that bad practice.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If only the hospital had acknowledged that someone had acted a bit stupidly and offered an apology then this thread wouldn't be necessary.

I have however learnt that instead of congratulating and thanking the Sri Lankan midwife at the complicated birth of my first born I should have instead given her a swift right hander, accused her of being a traitor to her own people and offered her a ticket back to Colombo.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That adds a little bit of context to things, however I think you are missing the pertinent point.

Agreed that they was a bit of Sailor bashing as I am sure you will also agree that some of the servicemen did a bit of bashing themselves, but there was no context of a particular group of people engaging in that violence, other than them liking a bit of a punch up, here is different. !!

The authorities are being overly timid and accommodating to the views of a narrow group of religious zealots, thats key here and it cultivates an environment which capitulates to the demands of a few whilst disaffecting the majority that feel their own values are being undermined.

Each time it happens it is correct to challenge and hold to account those that implement that bad practice.

Young males in Plymouth (particularly) and Portsmouth held a feeling that their girls were being taken by matelots, and were not slow in venting. Im sure the same was occurring in areas where there were large amounts of Army, or RAF.

Cant remember anybody in Plymouth attacking civilians for no reason. Plenty of matelots got beatings in the City. The last straw was a particular bad beating somebody recieved, and we were woken up in the night, told to dress in fatigues, boots, and webbing belts, and were taken to 'Rooftops' nightclub, im sure plenty remember the place, in lorries, and ordered to go in, and deal with the perpetrators. Thats the only time I can remember anybody attacking civilians. The reverse was quite common.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Absolutely. Spot on. Hardly the first time, and whilst it may seem like a storm in a tea-cup, given that it is just one person, we assume, it further cements the idea that the demands of the radical few will hold sway. As the post says, if left unchallenged, the environment created leads to the state of affairs such as that in Rotherham.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Please don't believe the standard of BBC reporting as accurate. I complained very recently about something they were reporting as being very misleading, as I had been in the situation myself. I emailed them, but got no reply.
I used to trust the BBC, but don't any longer.
I do not trust the BBC either, though I knew if I put up other reports they would be flamed as right wing blogs.
I am glad the hospital has apologised and are reviewing their procedures as well. The nurse in question should not be publicly vilified, she has been incorrectly trained as to handling a situation like this.

No military service person should ever be asked to leave an area or even ever asked if he or she wants to voluntarily leave an area because someone might be offended with the uniform because offence has happened before

This story while some people hate it being highlighted for some reason serves a good purpose.
Military personnel will hopefully never again be treated as some sort of guilty party whilst waiting for NHS treatment

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Young males in Plymouth (particularly) and Portsmouth held a feeling that their girls were being taken by matelots, and were not slow in venting. Im sure the same was occurring in areas where there were large amounts of Army, or RAF.

Cant remember anybody in Plymouth attacking civilians for no reason. Plenty of matelots got beatings in the City. The last straw was a particular bad beating somebody recieved, and we were woken up in the night, told to dress in fatigues, boots, and webbing belts, and were taken to 'Rooftops' nightclub, im sure plenty remember the place, in lorries, and ordered to go in, and deal with the perpetrators. Thats the only time I can remember anybody attacking civilians. The reverse was quite common.

I dont doubt it, but you are by implication saying that there is some level of threat that is driven from a particular group feeling aggrieved at those servicemen in uniform.

I must say Dave thats a big step forward for you.

Me and others are saying that if we suspect the threat is likely to be only of offending, then we should not give any credence to their views because it is wholly unacceptable.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I lived near Aldershot for 4 years and punch-ups between troops and civilians were not exactly a rarity. And yes, there is thankfully more respect for veterans now, you are right. But there have been so many cases of pandering to religious extremists for fear of being called a "wacist" that it surely goes beyond "want to be outraged." We assume that the person at the hospital acted in good faith, but this type of action is typical when in the environment that has been created

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My Stepbrother was in the RAF posted to NI. When they were off base and off duty they were not allowed to wear uniform as it drew anger from people. Same when he was in Germany. My Dad in the Navy, posted to Portland, when they headed to the mainland to go on the lash they were advised not to wear uniform. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few towns where military are advised not to wear uniform when out and about unless they were on military business or on a parade of some sort.
I know this isn't quite the same , this guy was in hospital needing urgent attention and whatever happened in the hospital seems to be resolved now. But there is a history of servicemen and women being advised not to wear uniform in some circumstances.

Edit: some of the reason not to wear uniform when out on the town may have been to not bring the service into disrepute when the mayhem commenced!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sure however that [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] and I agree that if Konnie Huq was at the hospital in a nurse's uniform, and asked me or him to go into a private room with her, we would NOT have been offended.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Why should someone be named, shamed and sacked for an error of judgement? If you accept that their was no malice in the decision made then your particular choice of accountability is heavy handed to say the lease.

Whats itgot to dowithyou cobber?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Something has clearly gone wrong if the Hospital is turning to the police to protect its staff who are being abused.

As for your ridiculous question, just allow me to be offended by the language that you are using. "An ethnic" ? Really!

The problem is first the hospital didn't state the person was facing a discipline procedure, just white washed the issue. Secondly its failure to anticipate the response shows itmay be insensative and justmaking the right noises.Yea my language can be odd at times seeing as ethnic just means Native.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Unless on duty, or as with this case an emergency of sorts, my offspring and son in law , Marines, are not allowed to wear uniform off base. The reason is "cultural sensibilities". In Pompey, Plymouth, Taunton, Barnstaple and Edinburgh, this is the case, and is also the case with ordinary naval personnel although not as strictly policed.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The problem is first the hospital didn't state the person was facing a discipline procedure, just white washed the issue. Secondly its failure to anticipate the response shows itmay be insensative and justmaking the right noises.Yea my language can be odd at times seeing as ethnic just means Native.

By native do you mean someone born in this country?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Unless on duty, or as with this case an emergency of sorts, my two offspring and son in law , Marines, are not allowed to wear uniform off base. The reason is "cultural sensibilities". In Pompey, Plymouth, Taunton, Barnstaple and Edinburgh, this is the case, and is also the case with ordinary naval personnel although not as strictly policed.

that is interesting, How do they feel about that?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My Stepbrother was in the RAF posted to NI. When they were off base and off duty they were not allowed to wear uniform as it drew anger from people. Same when he was in Germany. My Dad in the Navy, posted to Portland, when they headed to the mainland to go on the lash they were advised not to wear uniform. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few towns where military are advised not to wear uniform when out and about unless they were on military business or on a parade of some sort.
I know this isn't quite the same , this guy was in hospital needing urgent attention and whatever happened in the hospital seems to be resolved now. But there is a history of servicemen and women being advised not to wear uniform in some circumstances.

Edit: some of the reason not to wear uniform when out on the town may have been to not bring the service into disrepute when the mayhem commenced!

Oh come on Nibble, that isnt really relevant to this particular story, where a British Serviceman in uniform in a UK hospital was ushered away probably not for his own safety more to placate the perceived sensitivities of an undetermined Muslim that might appear in their A&E.

I think its an example of the insidious crawl of a timid response to those that demand some sort of censor and special consideration because of their religion.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes I know that and that's the point. Some idiot making a silly decision in case someone else is offended. It happens all the time. With Muslims, Afro Carribeans, Asians, women, pensioners , children. It's not staff policy at hospitals but just a couple of dimwits but you always love these threads. You love all this support our troops bit and why wouldn't you. You're ex service aren't you and put that with a bit of PC gone mad and it's off we go. Well, it's a talking point I suppose for 5 minutes.
It's not just a couple of dimwits at a hospital though is it ? It's the constant pussyfooting around to avoid "offending" Muslims , and it leads to things like industrial scale sexual abuse not being investigated, Or perhaps Worthing isn't affected, it's certainly a talking for longer than 5 minutes in Rotherham.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm sure however that [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] and I agree that if Konnie Huq was at the hospital in a nurse's uniform, and asked me or him to go into a private room with her, we would NOT have been offended.
My god man, the thought of it 💏 I curse the moron who got rid of old style nurses uniforms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here