Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The same people, so rabidly indignant at UK membership of the EU, are jumping up and down in pleasure as Donald Trump humiliates and demeans the UK and its institutions. I get that some leave supporters don’t like mainland Europe and don’t want to be a part of the EU project. But to then actively support, and indeed positively welcome utter subservience to the US is utterly incomprehensible. To go from leading players in the biggest and richest free market on the planet to chasing, at best, second-class US statehood is bizarre in the extreme. But these Brexiters would have us believe that they are the patriots, and that Remainers are traitors. And they seem to be getting away with it.

(A Below the Line comment from earlier today - sums things up pretty well.)

Absolutely 100% agree. Many Brexiters are shocked by this turn of events, and it does seem to be noticeable split along the lines of the pragmatic leavers and the genuine loon headbanger Brexiters.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Millions
regards
DR

As of February 2015, 113,960 working-age claimants of Department for Work and Pensions benefits were EU migrants (that is, when they first registered for a National Insurance Number, they were a national of another member state).

Most of these were claiming an “out of work benefit” such as Jobseekers Allowance. However, the total includes some benefits, such as Housing Benefit and Disability Living Allowance, which can be paid to those in or out of work.

So let’s say we were paying those 113,960 say £100 per week would I be right in thinking we are laying out 592.5 million each year?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As of February 2015, 113,960 working-age claimants of Department for Work and Pensions benefits were EU migrants (that is, when they first registered for a National Insurance Number, they were a national of another member state).

Most of these were claiming an “out of work benefit” such as Jobseekers Allowance. However, the total includes some benefits, such as Housing Benefit and Disability Living Allowance, which can be paid to those in or out of work.

So let’s say we were paying those 113,960 say £100 per week would I be right in thinking we are laying out 592.5 million each year?

I appreciate you're talking to another like minded individual when it comes to immigrants and benefits, but when did JSA get increased to £100 a week out of interest?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Where in my post did I say the £100 was specifically for JSA?

Oh okay then, my mistake, let me phrase that another way then - where you have got your average figure of £100 a week for immigrant benefit claimants from? Is it from 2015 as well? What's the claimant count now then compared to then? Is the average still £100 a week? Out of interest, what's benefit fraud as a figure in terms of UK citizens who made claims - you know, the ones who all have a £500 pair of Nike trainers and a £10K Samsung TV and only use foodbanks because they've spent it on cigarettes and alcohol on holiday in Spain.

You really do seem to be the sort of guy who really knows a lot about benefits and immigrants too, so I look forward your learned, informed answer on this subject.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Oh okay then, my mistake, let me phrase that another way then - where you have got your average figure of £100 a week for immigrant benefit claimants from? Is it from 2015 as well? What's the claimant count now then compared to then? Is the average still £100 a week? Out of interest, what's benefit fraud as a figure in terms of UK citizens who made claims - you know, the ones who all have a £500 pair of Nike trainers and a £10K Samsung TV and only use foodbanks because they've spent it on cigarettes and alcohol on holiday in Spain.

You really do seem to be the sort of guy who really knows a lot about benefits and immigrants too, so I look forward your learned, informed answer on this subject.

433 million a year just in JSA, you seem like a guy with all the answers, how much of this money comes from the European money tree?

Edit 10,000 pound Samsung tv ffs [emoji23][emoji23]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
433 million a year just in JSA, you seem like a guy with all the answers, how much of this money comes from the European money tree?

Which European money tree is this? What source and year is that £433m for JSA from incidentally? I must say this is just like 2016 and really is enlightening for me talking to leave voters with such a keen interest on immigrant benefit claimants.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

It doesn't, directly. However the money is there for it because of the money the EU spends elsewhere which the UK Government then doesn't have to.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Which European money tree is this? What source and year is that £433m for JSA from incidentally? I must say this is just like 2016 and really is enlightening for me talking to leave voters with such a keen interest on immigrant benefit claimants.

Which European money tree? [emoji23][emoji23] You mean there’s more than one....

As for 2016 I can assure you MOS that that works both ways, btw found me a £10k Samsung TV yet?

Oh and finally can you show me evidence that since 2015 the number of EU migrants claiming ‘benefits’ has dropped?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Poland joined the European Union 2004 and has since received over €100bn in EU funding, more than any other EU member state. ... Meanwhile, the commission is now demanding Poland contribute more towards the EU cohesion fund given UK's projected departure.

Meanwhile the UK spends ****ing bundles on their citizens who claim benefits over here!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Poland joined the European Union 2004 and has since received over €100bn in EU funding, more than any other EU member state. ... Meanwhile, the commission is now demanding Poland contribute more towards the EU cohesion fund given UK's projected departure.

Meanwhile the UK spends ****ing bundles on their citizens who claim benefits over here!!

And we have ease-of-access and priority to their pharma market, a market which is growing and currently valued at 11bn. That’s just one sector of the economy.

Instead of being outraged, why don’t you come up with some figures for your hypothesis?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Which European money tree? [emoji23][emoji23] You mean there’s more than one....

As for 2016 I can assure you MOS that that works both ways, btw found me a £10k Samsung TV yet?

Oh and finally can you show me evidence that since 2015 the number of EU migrants claiming ‘benefits’ has dropped?

I appreciate EU structural funding and UK contributions and the single market and it's benefits is a difficult concept for many.

The Samsung QE82Q950R is £10k for example. :shrug:

As the number of EU migrants has dropped since 2015 as per official immigration figures, I'd hazard a guess - no more than a guess - that as the number of EU benefit claimants has dropped with it. Plus with UC roll out and the culture in The DWP/Job Centre Plus's for claimants - nobody moves here to claim benefits and live off them - as for JSA - the clue is in the name of it 'Job Seekers Allowance' - If you're entitled you can get a massive £72.50 a week for a maximum of 6 months. You wouldn't get near the 6 months limit as a claimant now with all the sanctions that would get thrown at you for not taking work.

Still, bloody immigrants - coming over here, taking all our jobs and stealing our benefits, milking The NHS dry whilst working in it and paying tax to support it - all at the same time. Nothing to do with people living longer and poor lifestyle choices - it's immigrants ruining The NHS. Just blame them for everything, it's so much easier.

Or are you one of those people who doesn't blame immigrants for everything because you know some who work really hard and you admire them greatly for it etc?

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Good to see you found someone you can share your worries with. Shame it's a guy who shares neo-nazi youtube channels on here and goes by the name of Das Reich, but still, he's on your side.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I appreciate EU structural funding and UK contributions and the single market and it's benefits is a difficult concept for many.

The Samsung QE82Q950R is £10k for example. :shrug:

As the number of EU migrants has dropped since 2015 as per official immigration figures, I'd hazard a guess - no more than a guess - that as the number of EU benefit claimants has dropped with it. Plus with UC roll out and the culture in The DWP/Job Centre Plus's for claimants - nobody moves here to claim benefits and live off them - as for JSA - the clue is in the name of it 'Job Seekers Allowance' - If you're entitled you can get a massive £72.50 a week for a maximum of 6 months. You wouldn't get near the 6 months limit as a claimant now with all the sanctions that would get thrown at you for not taking work.

Still, bloody immigrants - coming over here, taking all our jobs and stealing our benefits, milking The NHS dry whilst working in it and paying tax to support it - all the same time. Nothing to do with people living longer and poor lifestyle choices - it's immigrants ruining The NHS. Just blame them for everything, it's so much easier.

Or are you one of those people who doesn't blame immigrants for everything because you know some who work really hard and you admire them greatly etc?

Fair play you found me a £10k tv,

Don’t mind the migrants who work hard and contribute, as for the scrounges, we have enough of our own finest homegrown which we struggle to deal with let alone ‘emits’ over here sending there money home.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Fair play you found me a £10k tv,

Don’t mind the migrants who work hard and contribute, as for the scrounges, we have enough of our own finest homegrown which we struggle to deal with let alone ‘emits’ over here sending there money home.

Speaking of jobs - the 1980's just called - they've got you one writing for The Sun newspaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here